Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable email replies to reflect on JIRA ticket directly.

Sanjeet January 5, 2021

A very good day to the community.

I'm facing a slight issue that I need help with as I'm still new to JIRA. Whenever anyone in my company raises a ticket and when I reply to their ticket, the reporters tends to reply to the email which they received from JIRA but I'm not getting any notification on my email nor is the comment reflecting on the JIRA ticket. 

Is there a setting that I can turn on to say either "this is an auto generated email from JIRA and do not reply to this" or it would be even better if the reply through the email can be reflected into the JIRA ticket directly. 

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day. 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

You say "ticket" which is totally unclear word.

Do you mean your people are replying to emails generated by issue activity (jira users working on Jira issues) or request activitly (customers and agents working on service desk requests)?

Sanjeet January 6, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- sorry please bare with me as I'm a bit unclear on this. I'll try to explain more on what I'm currently facing. So we have the IT team who manages the admin account and works on our service desk on tickets that have been raised by our users in the company. Instead of going back to the issue on the website, they are replying in through the email (example picture 1) which is sent by jira. I'll attach a few picture which I hope can make you understand it better. Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 7.13.13 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-01-06 at 7.23.00 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

So you mean requests (please don't say "ticket", it has no definite meaning and could be referring to several things, including requests and issues)

This matters because requests and issues have different ways to interact with emails.

As you mean request, what you need to look at are the "channels" for your service desk.  Go to the service desk project settings and click on the channels option, the second one should be "email", which will enable you to set up Jira to process replies back to request emails.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hi @Sanjeet

could you please confirm it is the mail that you showed with Summary "GSuite Alias" in the example that are people answering to and these are the information which then do not reflect as a reply in Jira?

I am asking because the mail indeed looks like the format known from issues, not from requests.
Like Nic said the wording is important here and I think things got mixed up.

Regards,
Daniel

Sanjeet January 7, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers

Yeap that is exactly the problem I'm facing. The email replies are not reflecting as a reply in the Jira.

So what I've done is I've created a default email account under the "email requests" tab and then added that same email under the "Notifications". Did I do it right?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

If I understand you correctly you took this path:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

If this is correct the mail delivery should work, yes.

If it does not work you can view logs that should tell if there is something missing:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/check-your-connection-to-troubleshoot-email-channel-issues/

Please try and let us know about the results.

Sanjeet January 7, 2021

Yes I took that part and it works fine for me. Thank you for your help and time @Daniel Ebers .

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2021

Sure, you're welcome. Glad you got it working.

In case of any other questions you know where to find the Atlassian Community :) Have a great day!

0 votes
Katie Black May 10, 2023

We just turned this feature on and when testing, the emails and notifications are super spotty and do not seem to go through every time. The replied comments show on the issue, but there is no notification in my email or the bell in Confluence, so is this something that has to be turned on?
Also, any reason why emails wouldn't be going through when responding either? I even tagged the reporter and nothing. Hope this makes sense, I am fairly new.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events