How to create report showing how long tickets are in status

Steven Groves June 2, 2020

I am trying to create a report that shows the average time tickets are in a given status, such as Waiting for Customer.

When building a series, I see a choice for the status, but not a way to then act on it for what I need.

Thank you,

Steven

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mariana_Pryshliak_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2020

Hi @Steven Groves.

It's easy to resolve with the Control Chart, Time in Status for Jira Cloud, or Time between Statuses.

Control Chart provides shortened information (average time) and only in charts, but it can be helpful for you.

Time in Status for Jira Cloud generates a report of how long issues have been staying in a specific status. Concerning your issue - you get the Cycle and Lead Time data by grouping time in statuses. Go to the Status Groups and here you can add New Group or manage existing ones (edit or delete).

status groups.png

Also, you can try Time between Statuses, which gives the ability to monitor how long it takes to move from one status to another.

tbs.png

Just a few clicks and you will get all the necessary data.

I hope you'll find this info helpful.

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 29, 2020

Hello @Steven Groves 

If you are interested in a ready built solution, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee or group. You can combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like AgeCycle Time or Lead Time. All durations can be display in various formats including days, hours, minutes even seconds.

The app can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the average InProgress time per project and per issuetype or see the sum of InProgress time per component). 

The app has custom calendar support so you can get your reports based on a 24/7 calendar or your custom business calendar. (This one is important because a 24/7 calendar in most cases shows misleading data. For example an issue created at 16:00 on Friday and was resolved at 09:00 on next Monday seems to stay open for 2,5 days but in terms of business hours, it is only a few hours. You can see this using Time in Status by OBSS.)

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions. Get metrics like Lead Time or Cycle Time.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API.
  • See Time in Status data and charts for each issue as a tab on issue view screen.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2020

Hi @Steven Groves ,

did you try to use Average time in status gadget on Dashboards?

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 16.57.21.png

You will be able to select the projects and statuses you're interested in and time grouping that makes sense for you.

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 17.02.31.png

And then you'll get chart telling you how is your average time in status is changing over time.

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 17.02.14.png

Steven Groves June 2, 2020

That looks exactly like what I am looking for, but when I set it up, it is a flat line. Is there something in system setup I am missing that allows the status to have data?

2020-06-02 12_50_47-Ticket Resolutions.png

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2020

Interesting 🤔 I would check these things:

1. Is the correct project selected in the settings?

2. In the chart settings, there is Days previously field by default set to 30 days...did you have any ticket in the selected project in Waiting for customer status?

3. If you did have issues in this status in the last 30 days, are they marked as resolved? It seems that the chart only calculates with resolved issues.

Steven Groves June 5, 2020

Thank you for the follow-up.

We only have one Project currently.

The Days Previously is set to 30. I also tried longer periods. We have tickets in the past and current that are Waiting on Customer. Is there a difference between "Resolved" and "Completed"? We mark all of our tickets as Completed. Resolved is not a choice in our tickets. I think I have something configured incorrectly or we are using the system in a way that the Completed tickets are not being considered as Resolved for the reports.

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2020

Last thing I would try to check is if the tickets from the project have Resolved date populated to check if the configuration is ok?Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 18.39.08.png

Steven Groves June 8, 2020

It appears that is the issue. The tickets are Completed, but they are not marked Resolved. I will need to see how to correct that.

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 1, 2020

Hi @Steven Groves,

You can use Status Time app.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try Status Time Free.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events