• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I (Administrator) reopen a closed ticket?

Once of my agents marked a ticket as closed. No, the work is not done satisfactorily. I want to re-open the ticket.

However, when I drop down the Status button, I see the following: You don't have permission to transition this issue.

Hmm. I'm the overall Administrator. I set up this account, I set up this Helpdesk. How can I not have permission?

Please help. Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

This ticket seems to have gotten caught in some inconsistent state, possibly because its workflow predated the new workflow rules which I put in place? In any event, no one is able to reopen this ticket, not even the agent who originally closed it. Here's what I did to work around this problem.

1. I cloned the ticket.

2. I verified that the newly cloned ticket shows the expected behavior.

3. I deleted the original ticket.

4. I renamed the clone ticket - removed the term 'CLONE' from its subject / title.

All good now!

Hi @Yossi Geretz 

As I know you need to change your Jira Service Desk workflow https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/build-the-workflow-you-need/.

You should change flow in such a way that each ticket could go from Done status to To Do.

Hope it helps

Hi Zoryana,

Here is my workflow. It appears to me that all statuses can transition to Reopened, so I still can't understand why it's not working for me.

Workflow.jpg

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Aug 10, 2020

Can you check the Reopened transition for any Condition that might explain this? For example maybe only the Assignee can do this.

Hi Jack, I'm not sure what you mean - I am new to Jira, this is the first Helpdesk I am setting up. I thought that as Administrator I'd be able to do everything but maybe that is not the case?

Where do I go to 'check the Reopened transition' as you suggest? Thanks!

I don't see specifically the transition for 'Reopen Issues' but when I look at Transition Issues for my user here is what I see -

permission.jpg

I am hoping there is a resolution for this. Finding myself locked out of my own Helpdesk is not a great way to get this project off the ground. Thanks for your advice!

Jack Community Leader Aug 10, 2020

No worries Yossi. So yes as an admin you should be able to do just about anything. However, there can be conditions that restrict actions. In the case of Transitions you can place Conditions on them such that the transition will not be allowed unless the Condition(s) is met. Now this may not explain your issue but let's dig in and see.

1. go to Project settings > workflows, find your workflow and click edit (pencil)
  2. find the transition into Reopened and click it then select Conditions in the panel that pops up
  3. are there any Conditions listed? If so what are they?

example of where to find Conditions...

conditions.jpg

Thanks Jack!

Here you can see there do not appear to be any conditions attached to the Reopen:

Reopened.jpg

Here are the Post functions, just to complete the picture. (I could see how a post function might subsequently fail, preventing the reopen from succeeding. But what I am seeing is that the re-open is not available to me to begin with. Screen-shot below.)

Post Functions.jpg

This might be a clue. I just marked a different ticket (actually, belonging to the same agent) to Closed. (This is how it is supposed to work. My agents are supposed to mark Resolved, I review and if the resolution is to my satisfaction I mark the issue as Closed.)

Anyway, here's what I see on this other ticket, after I marked it as Closed:

Expected.jpg

So the crux of it seems to be that if I mark something as closed, then I can reopen it. But if one of my agents marks the issue as closed, then I can't reopen it? But I am Administrator.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

241 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you