Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I (Administrator) reopen a closed ticket?

Yossi Geretz August 10, 2020

Once of my agents marked a ticket as closed. No, the work is not done satisfactorily. I want to re-open the ticket.

However, when I drop down the Status button, I see the following: You don't have permission to transition this issue.

Hmm. I'm the overall Administrator. I set up this account, I set up this Helpdesk. How can I not have permission?

Please help. Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yossi Geretz August 11, 2020

This ticket seems to have gotten caught in some inconsistent state, possibly because its workflow predated the new workflow rules which I put in place? In any event, no one is able to reopen this ticket, not even the agent who originally closed it. Here's what I did to work around this problem.

1. I cloned the ticket.

2. I verified that the newly cloned ticket shows the expected behavior.

3. I deleted the original ticket.

4. I renamed the clone ticket - removed the term 'CLONE' from its subject / title.

All good now!

0 votes
enrique piera serra November 20, 2022

I found a solution for me. 

Assuming you have a valid transition in the workflow to reopen the ticket, even if it is an ALL states to the REOPEN or TODO state transition:

1. Go to your ticket.
  2. Click the DOT (.) on your keyboard and the "Actions menu" will appear.
    1. Or click the three dots button at the top right to find the "Actions menu" image.png
  3. Search for the state you want to transition the ticket to.
  4. DONE
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2020

Can you check the Reopened transition for any Condition that might explain this? For example maybe only the Assignee can do this.

Hi Jack, I'm not sure what you mean - I am new to Jira, this is the first Helpdesk I am setting up. I thought that as Administrator I'd be able to do everything but maybe that is not the case?

Where do I go to 'check the Reopened transition' as you suggest? Thanks!

I don't see specifically the transition for 'Reopen Issues' but when I look at Transition Issues for my user here is what I see -

permission.jpg

I am hoping there is a resolution for this. Finding myself locked out of my own Helpdesk is not a great way to get this project off the ground. Thanks for your advice!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2020

No worries Yossi. So yes as an admin you should be able to do just about anything. However, there can be conditions that restrict actions. In the case of Transitions you can place Conditions on them such that the transition will not be allowed unless the Condition(s) is met. Now this may not explain your issue but let's dig in and see.

1. go to Project settings > workflows, find your workflow and click edit (pencil)
  2. find the transition into Reopened and click it then select Conditions in the panel that pops up
  3. are there any Conditions listed? If so what are they?

example of where to find Conditions...

conditions.jpg

Thanks Jack!

Here you can see there do not appear to be any conditions attached to the Reopen:

Reopened.jpg

Here are the Post functions, just to complete the picture. (I could see how a post function might subsequently fail, preventing the reopen from succeeding. But what I am seeing is that the re-open is not available to me to begin with. Screen-shot below.)

Post Functions.jpg

permission.jpg

This might be a clue. I just marked a different ticket (actually, belonging to the same agent) to Closed. (This is how it is supposed to work. My agents are supposed to mark Resolved, I review and if the resolution is to my satisfaction I mark the issue as Closed.)

Anyway, here's what I see on this other ticket, after I marked it as Closed:

Expected.jpg

So the crux of it seems to be that if I mark something as closed, then I can reopen it. But if one of my agents marks the issue as closed, then I can't reopen it? But I am Administrator.

0 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 10, 2020

Hi @Yossi Geretz 

As I know you need to change your Jira Service Desk workflow https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/build-the-workflow-you-need/.

You should change flow in such a way that each ticket could go from Done status to To Do.

Hope it helps

Hi Zoryana,

Here is my workflow. It appears to me that all statuses can transition to Reopened, so I still can't understand why it's not working for me.

Workflow.jpg

enrique piera serra November 20, 2022

I am having the same issue with an ALL transition to a TODO state.
Still I can't transition a closed ticket. 
This has happened to me with an Epic, so I cloning would be a biiiiig effort with many stories linked to the Epic... etc etc

What could a solution be to reopen the Epic?
And why is it not allowing us to do so?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events