What is the difference between a Child issue, a Linked issue and a Sub-Task?

Joshua McInturff July 17, 2023

When I create an Epic, I can create a child issue but I don't see a way to make an existing issue a child. I like the way the child shows up on the board. I like the way it can be a different issue type rather than a sub-task. Any thoughts on what the differences are and how I cha change an existing task into a "Child" rather than just linking it?

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jehan Bhathena
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2023

Hi @Joshua McInturff ,

Each issue type have a level associated with it.

Epic -1, Bugs and Story-0 and Sub-task is -1(minus 1).

You can add the Epic link/Parent link in a 0 Level issue type, this will then get reflected as a child issue in your Epic.

Eg. In your Image you can open SDV-1, in the Parent Link add the Epic's issue ID and save. This will make SDV-1 as the child issue.

Hope this helps 🙂

PS: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/ would recommend using Parent Link going ahead

Joshua McInturff July 18, 2023

I can't find the Parent Link to allow me to add the Epic's issue ID. I enabled it in the "Default Issue Screen"... but it doesn't show up.

Jehan Bhathena
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2023

Which issue type are you trying to add the Parent Link to?

Is that issue type at Level 0 in the issue type hierarchy?

Reference: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-the-issue-type-hierarchy/

Like • Joshua McInturff likes this
Joshua McInturff July 18, 2023

I accidentally made it an Epic. Once I changed it back, the Epic link showed up properly. (Still no "parent" link...  but maybe that is still being "rolled out".)

Thanks! I Have what I need now!

0 votes
Joshua McInturff July 17, 2023

Not an answer... just trying to edit... I figured out how to edit the question... now this answer can be deleted.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events