Announcement: Project Level Email Notifications for next-gen projects

TL;DR

Project admins of next-gen projects on Jira Software and Jira Service Desk can now customize the configuration of email notifications to the specific needs of their project. This feature allows project admins to further optimize the volume of emails sent from Jira to their respective users.

What has shipped?

We are very excited to announce that project admins of next-gen projects on Jira Software and Jira Service desk can now configure and customize email notifications for each of their projects individually. This change impacts all current and newly created next-gen projects.

The new approach to configure email notifications for next-gen projects is simple, easy to navigate, and gives complete control of email notifications to project admins. Project admins of a next-gen project can now access email notifications control via the Project Settings.

For Jira Software, this feature can be accessed at Project Settings → NotificationsJSW-Landing.png

For Jira Service Desk, this feature can be accessed at Project Settings → Notifications->Internal Notifications
JSD-Landing.png

How do I use it?

The new Notifications screen has three key areas of focus:

• View all current email notifications configured for this project
    This section contains a list of all email notifications that are currently active for the project and consists of three columns:

• Event - The type of event for which notifications needs to be triggered

• Recipient - To whom the notifications should be sent for the respective event

• Actions - To Edit or Delete the current email notification configuration for the respective event 

• Add a new notification to the project
    If you would like to set up email notifications for an event type that has not been configured yet for your project, please click on 'Add notification' on the top right corner of the screen where you can set up the notification according to the needs of your project. On clicking ‘Add notification’, you are presented with the following:

Add notification.png

Here, please select the event you would like to send email notifications for from the dropdown list and then choose to whom you would like to send the notification to from the available options. Multiple recipients can be selected. Once you have chosen the recipients, press Add.

• Edit address or change the domain from which your email notifications will be sent
    Project admins can also customize the address from where all Jira notifications for the project are sent. While changing the user name has no restrictions, if you would like to use your own custom domain, there is a set of steps that you must follow which is detailed here.

NOTE: For Jira Service Desk next-gen projects, this setting can be found at Project Settings → Notifications->Notification email

Questions or Feedback?

If you have any questions or would like to provide us with some feedback, please do comment on this article and we will respond as soon as possible.

13 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

lwsllc May 11, 2020

This is great news, Arjoon! Very happy this is now available. Thank you and your team!

When I click on the last link on the page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/ajcm/configuring-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain-979428328.html) I get an error message that essentially says I don’t have access to the webpage for setting up a custom domain. Can someone please review/fix?

Thank you!

Dinos

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2020

Thanks @Arjoon Som! This is fantastic!  This is one of the things we have been waiting on before being able to roll next-gen projects out to other teams!

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2020

Great feature, please change 'Notifications' to 'Internal Notifications' for classic JSD projects as well.

Arjoon Som
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2020

-> @lwsllc  Hi Dinos, we have checked the link and it works correctly here. This same link is also available within Jira Software at Project Settings → Notifications and within JSD at Project Settings → Notifications->Notification email.  Can you please try this link from there as you may be having some authentication issues which is preventing you from viewing this page. 

-> @Jimmy Seddon Thank you for your kind feedback. I urge you to please disseminate this information to the community at large as well so that customers can leverage the flexibility that this feature brings. 

->@Dave Mathijs Thank you so much. We are looking into classic as well but we currently have no timelines to share in this regard.

We understand notifications can be overwhelming sometimes and we continue to stay focused on improving the notifications experience on Jira for our customers. We definitely have more improvements in the works. Please stay tuned!

lwsllc May 12, 2020

You're awesome, @Arjoon Som ! Thanks for getting back to me so fast! When I browse there to the Notification email settings, and click on the Learn More link, after a few redirects I get sent to this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/ajcm/configuring-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain-979428328.html?permissionViolation=true. Happy to troubleshoot on another thread so as not to affect the discussion of this thread as it's a great feature to have now :) 

Thank you once again!

Dinos

Lori Mendoza May 20, 2020

This is a great update.  However, I would like to create a rule to send out notifications to a group when a ticket is created.  Is that possible?

Arjoon Som
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2020

@lwsllc : I would recommend that you create a ticket to address your issue with your permissions so that the right people can help you fix it. Thank you.

@Lori Mendoza : Hi Lori. Currently, we do not support sending out notifications to a group on next-gen. However, one workaround I have heard customers using is the following:
- Create a custom role and assign the right permissions to that role to suit your specific needs
- Add the users you would like to set up the notification for to this custom role
- For the event type that you would like to send out a notification for, add a new notification by selecting 'Project Role' and select the custom role you created.

Please independently assess whether this workaround will work for your needs. I hope this helps!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2020

Thanks @Arjoon Som for the updates on this feature!

Carlos León July 23, 2020

Is there a way to customize the default notifications for new next-gen projects? So I don't need to customize every time a project is created.

Ali Vijdan September 10, 2020

I still don't see "Issue Resolved" option in the list of Notifications for Next-Gen Project. Is this notification available for Next-Gen Project, I do see it for Classic Projects and its working as expected.

Alicia Power December 1, 2020

My team would benefit from a notification that issues have been added to the Backlog. I don't see this as a current option in next-gen. Are there any plans for that in the future?

Sanjay Koravi September 6, 2021

Thanks Team

This was much needed feature, available now

Rajesh Viswanathan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2021

this is what i was looking for my project , really my team get benefited. thanks for sharing ...

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events