Traceability matrix output in JIRA or confluence

Girish Ramachandran July 12, 2021

Hello,

I have captured requirements in JIRA that are linked to other requirements ("relates to link), and linked to mitigation means ("is mitigated by" link) and also linked to test protocols ("is verified by" link). Each of these have separate issue types (Requirements, Risk Mitigation, Test Protocol) and therefore have unique Issue Keys. I'd like to export a table that lists the following information:

Column 1: Requirement Issue Key

Column 2: Requirement Summary

Column 3: Risk Mitigation Issue Key that is linked to the particular requirement Issue key ("is mitigated by" link)

Column 4: Test Protocol Issue Key that is linked to the particular requirement issue key ("is verified by" link)

I have used JQL queries to display all the requirement issue keys and I can include the column titled "Links". However, "Links" displays all the linked issues under the "Links" column. 

I would like to be able to separate these columns out. 

I explored traceability matrix plug ins that work on jira software cloud and there really are none available. Links Explorer was the only one I found, but the cloud version is still in "nascent" stage and does not output information correctly. 

I explored using JQL queries "issueLink" and "issueLinkType", but these only filter the issues out. 

I have not found a method to create and display separate columns as listed above. 

Can you please help?

Thanks

Girish

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

You may to check if the traceability report produced by the Better PDF Exporter app fits your needs:

jira-traceability-report

(Discl. I'm a developer working on this paid app, but it can definitely be a potential solution.)

Girish Ramachandran July 13, 2021

Hello Aron,

Thank you for your suggestion. I installed a trial and I am testing this plug in at the moment. Do you know if there is a way to separate out columns for each link? I see that the report publishes a row for each link. I'd like to visualize this as a column for each link. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Girish

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

What does "to separate out columns for each link?" mean precisely? Can you draw a quick sketch to illustrate this requirement?

Girish Ramachandran July 14, 2021

Aron,

See screenshot 1 below - this is an export from Better PDF exporter. 

See screenshot 2 below - this is my desired output format. 

Can Better PDF exporter export a file that looks like screenshot 2? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.34.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.34.41 AM.png

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2021

It's totally doable, but - being a different layout - you have to create a custom PDF template to produce this output.

See the customization guide.

Girish Ramachandran July 21, 2021

Thank you. This works as well. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Girish Ramachandran July 21, 2021

This is an alternate option if anyone is looking for a solution in the future - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Get-the-Summary-and-Status-of-linked-issues/qaq-p/1413292#U1417726.

1 vote
Rina Nir
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2021

Hi Girish 

You can check out Jira Snapshots for Confluence, it's an App for Confluence which can create traceability reports from Jira. It was created with requirements management and traceability in mind, and can report on as many levels as you need, with total flexibility of what columns are shown.
If you use XRAY for test management then it also has specific integration/support to Xray fields.
(BTW- in case you do not have Confluence, this app can be installed on the free version of Confluence)

Traceability.jpg

(Disclosure I'm a developer working on this paid app, but it can definitely be a potential solution.)

1 vote
David Pinn July 12, 2021

I recommend that you explore the products listed on the Atlassian Marketplace under 'risk'.

David Pinn
Vendor of Risk Register app

Suggest an answer