How to identify issue age

Siva Raju February 16, 2021

How to create a filter such that it retrieves all the issues including aging by comparing the with current date?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Hi @Siva Raju 

What do you mean by aging exactly?

Siva Raju February 16, 2021

Aging I meant was, Lets say I logged couple of issues, one at 1st Jan 2021 and other at 1st Feb 2021 and I would like to do a filter today (16th Feb 2021), which should list these two defects, along with the duration (Current date minus the date on which the issue is created)

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

This feature is not built natively in Jira.

But we can achieve this via automation.

Create a number custom field and have the smart values work for you!

Using this:

For days

{{now.diff(issue.created).days}}

For weeks

{{now.diff(issue.created).weeks}}

References here!

{{[date1].diff([date2]).[unit]}}

{{now.jiraDate}}

Note: If you are using the Server version, use Automation for Jira

If you are using the Cloud version, you will have Automation for Jira by default!

Please let me know if you have doubts.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Like Shreeja J likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

i would not suggest using automation to create an "age" of every issue. This will be an unnecessary performance hog IMO. Now if you just want to set it up as manual and run it on an issue by issue basis that would be fine but I don't see that very useful.

Contemplate what you really need here and let's see if there is a different way to achieve it. Do you really need to see 'how many days old and issue is'

Hira August 25, 2022

@Jack Brickey can you help me get age of each issue in a particular status without  using any plugins?

Like Guglielmo Cornelli likes this
Guglielmo Cornelli January 23, 2023

I also join this request.

Thank you so much!

Padah JIRA March 3, 2023

Hi Team,

Can we calculate age of ticket without using any plugin.

via automation can we calculate age of ticket in Days,Hours,Minutes format?

Regards,

Prajakta

Samuel Huma February 15, 2024

Hi @Pramodh M 

Thanks for your assistance on the above and I attempted the automation but still could not see the age, and I'm looking to get it to work in queues for the service project. Is this automation limited to reports only?

0 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 24, 2021

Hello @Siva Raju 

You can try Time in Status for Jira Cloud

Time in Status reports shows detailed info about statuses.  In the "Total" column you can find the age of a particular issue. Besides this info, you can see the date when an issue has entered each of the statuses for the first time in the Status Entrance Date report. 

So you can identify the age of the issue - from creating to solving.

tis_total column (1).png

Moreover, you can view data both in Gadget for the Jira dashboard and in Charts.

I hope, this is what you need.

Best regards, Mariana

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 20, 2021

Hi @Siva Raju ,

As an alternative you can try Status Time app developed by our team. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
February 16, 2021

Hello @Siva Raju ,

Jira does not give this data out of the box. You either need to calculate this yourself (via custom development) or use a marketplace app for it.

For an automated solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time

You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average Resolution Time per issuetype).

tisCloud_StatusDuration_Report.png  tisCloud_IssueView_Chart_StackedColumn.png  AverageStatusDuration_Chart.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for cloud, server&DC gadget coming soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Suggest an answer