Setting issue description template through automation

Stefan Sredojevic August 5, 2022

Hello everyone, I want to set templates for Epic, Story, Subtask, and Bug issue types.

I tried using automation where I used Edit issue fields and I used markdown syntax for adding templates and something is really wrong.

Markdown

### Goal
### Acceptance criteria
### Assumptions
### Other information

Outcome:

1. When editing the issue directly all works fine, I paste this into the description and it works
  2. But when I put some markdown in automation all goes wrong, each # is evaluated as indenting

Any solution?

Also, any other solution on how to add templates would be amazing.

P.S I also tried to set template in some issues and to say copy from the issue in automation but there is no option to specify the exact issue by Key, there must be some relation to the issue being created like (Parent, Epic, Trigger issue, Destination issue, etc.)

3 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Sredojevic August 5, 2022

I figure it out, standard issue view is editing with new markdown, while automation is using old markdown

I lost 2 hours trying to make this work.

I hope this help to someone.

John Stewart March 9, 2023

You saved me a lot of time - thanks heaps, man.

1 vote
christophe demez September 20, 2022

Hi,

One question please, I have try... but I wish to see the template when the "Issue Creation Dialog" appear... here, the template is added after the issue is really created.

At least, my description remains empty on my side. And I have find no way to initialize the description field when the "creation dialog" appear.

Am I right ?

thx

0 votes
Bogdan Apostol August 31, 2022

I am having the same issue, I am trying to configure User Stories templates using Automation, but I am not able to see them. I have tried with new markdown and old markdown but nothing happens. 

I noticed the Automation is set Globally and I was not able to change it to a specific Project. 

This is an example of how I tried:

h3. (on) Summary
*As a* 
*I want to* 
*so that* 

Screenshot 2022-08-31 164446.jpg

Stefan Sredojevic September 1, 2022

You put Descriptionh3. (on) Summary instead try h3. Summary

Here you can find nice examples that helped me: https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2022/01/jira-template-user-story-tasks-bugs/

Here is my automation template

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 10.57.06.png

Bogdan Apostol September 1, 2022

Thank you @Stefan Sredojevic , is Jira company managed or team managed on your side?

At the moment we switched to team-managed. Be careful there, in case of team-managed, since there is bug when doing JQL trying to match issue type.

I opened a bug that you can see here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-23375

We are using the company managed version, but my thought is that the Automation templates apply just for team-managed.

Nope, you can also use it in company-managed

Ok, I have tried so many times, but the automation is not applied at all. Do you think it could be something related to the Actor? I always selected "User who triggered the event". 

Check my template, it says when issue is created

This is how I have it as well

jira_1.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders