Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset and services

Siobhan O_Leary Donkin July 20, 2023

Hi, 

I am trying to assess if Jira Service Management will work as a ticketing system for our small IT firm (we make websites for a range of clients).  I am three days in and struggling with it to be honest!

Basically, we want to be able to assign assets or services to clients/customers e.g. Company A has three websites, url 1, url 2 and url 3.  Then, when they make a Request they can choose from Affected Services, and select which site is having an issue.

However, when I have looked at the guidance around asset management and services, it wants us to link to BitBucket /link with change requests etc.  We don't want to do anything that technical.  Its more that we want to have data about a client, and then allow them to select from that pre-validated list. 

Is this possible by using custom fields? or an add-on?  I can't seem to find any way to configure the information we hold about Customers, or to provide a validated list of all our assets.

We are intending to purchase the Premium account if that helps. 

Any help would be appreciated (I am not a developer but managing the business ops side/service desk etc)  I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of guidance, you are my last hope before we have to give up and go with another... 

Thanks, Siobhan

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2023

@Siobhan O_Leary Donkin Welcome to the Atlassian community

You should be able to do what you are trying to accomplish using assets.  How do you have your customers setup?  Are you using organizations?  

Siobhan O_Leary Donkin November 7, 2023

Hi Brant, 

Thanks for answering! We are just about to start paying for premium so we can use assets.  I want to make sure we do it in the best way, so we can essentially have a database of our clients, (is this organizations?) and then each client can have different assets assigned to them. 

Do you have any tips on how we can ensure we set this up correctly please?

Thanks, Siobhan

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2023

@Siobhan O_Leary Donkin 

Customers can be grouped into Organizations.  When a customer in an organization creates an issue they can associate it with an organization.  This issue will then be visible to everyone in the organization.  You will need to determine if you would like this for your customers or not.  Here is information on how to set it up and how organizations function - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/group-customers-into-organizations/ 

Assets have a lot of functionality and can be configured to meet your companies needs.  It would be best if you could play around with assets before you set it up in your premium environment.  I would suggest creating a new account and then using the free premium trial to familiarize yourself with Assets and ensure it will work for what you are trying to do.  You can take this class for $39.00 https://university.atlassian.com/student/page/971163-asset-management-essentials-in-jira-service-management-course-description   and use the KB to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/manage-your-assets-and-configuration-items-with-insight/  setup your test environment and make sure it will work for you before subscribing to premium.  If you do not care if all customers see the different URLs (I know you said that you would like the customer specific) you could use a custom field.  

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2024

@Siobhan O_Leary Donkin Can you accept this answer to help others with the same question?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events