XRAY: We have 100 Jira users but we do not require 100 Xray licenses

andy.aidoo October 6, 2020

Hi,

I'm Andy and I'm the QA Manager at a digital tech agency. We're not that big, but we do pretty well for ourselves, and we are Jira (server) users (big fans). The situation is surrounding the fact that I'd like us to move to use Xray as the default QA test management tool, as currently we kind of use TestRail, but as an agency spanning different projects we really do not need all 100 of our Jira users to be using Xray.

We have a new project ‘kicking off’ and this is our chance to pilot new tools and show how we can truly work in a more collaborative and agile manner; and that means bringing QA/Dev and Project Management closer together. To me, that means focusing on the power of Jira and making that a central part of how we work better, and that ties into making QA better. Anyway, my question is - as there are less than 10 people on the project, all I would require is a 10 user license as (1)Those in the agency working for Client A can’t work for Client B (2)The entirety of the Design Team, whilst having Jira access, have no need for Xray (3)As we span multiple office locations the other office has no QA working there so really does not need Xray access.

So how do I go about making that limited user license happen?

Many thanks,
Andy

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2020

I am sorry that you've spent time thinking and writing all of that, because it is a great explanation of what you're thinking, and it has made me update one of my bookmarks for "see this question because it's so clear and relatable to <mumble> other cases"

Atlassian's app policy is that apps have to be licenced at the highest tier you have for the applications.  We can't do anything about that.  Your Atlassian application is licenced for eleventy-twelve users, your app/add-on/plugin needs to be licenced at (at least) eleventy-twelve users too.

It gets a bit more complex with Jira because there are three applications and you only have to worry about the highest tier. (All the other applications are, so far, single, so app tier just needs to match the application tier)

In the more complex case of Jira, imagine you have 250 Core users, 100 Software and 12 Service Desk Agents - you could have up to 362 separate users, implying your apps would need to be tiered at 500, but they only hit you for the highest, so your apps only need 250 user licences.

But that doesn't work for your case.  You might only have 25 testers.  Yep, good that you don't have to get a 500 user licence, but terrible that you need a 250 user licence just to provide for the 22ish you'll actually use.

andy.aidoo October 7, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
And thank you for the really great response. 

I don't know for sure where we eventually go with Xray, but if the community is anything to go by I know we'll be in really good hands.

Thanks,
Andy

Like Katherine Berlin likes this

Hello, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
I do have another QA Xray work-a-round question?

What would our licensing needs be if we set up a separate Jira instance with only a very limited number of users (and by limited I mean 10 users - you can see where I'm going with this)

And would that instance need to be server or cloud (as we already have a server instance)?

Potential maniacal laugh,
Andy

Like Maham Akram likes this
C_ Bönitz April 5, 2023

Is this answer up-to-date?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Yes.

Like C_ Bönitz likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Christina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2020

Another option might be to use the free trial that comes with most apps. They can usually be extended for 6 months so depending on the timeline of your project, you might be able to demonstrate its value enough to offset the cost.

Hi @Jason Christina 
That is a solid Plan B, which is now looking like Plan A. I did have a look and you are absolutely right in that we can extend for up to 6 months, and use that time to demonstrate its worth. If that goes well we can then see if that allows us to phase out TestRail. 

Thank you 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2020

Hi @andy.aidoo,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

All apps have to have the same amount of licenses as your Atlassian instance, so if you have 100 Jira users you have to have a 100 user license for Xray. There is a suggestion to have the ability to choose separate licenses for apps, see JRASERVER-59932. I would encourage you to go and vote and watch this suggestion if you would like to see it implemented.  

Hello @Mikael Sandberg 
Thanks for the warm greeting and thank you for the steer towards JRASERVER-59932. I honestly didn't know what to expect, in response to my question, but what I do know is that I'm happy that I asked.

Hello again, 
And I do have another question?

What would our licensing needs be if we set up a separate Jira instance with only a very limited number of users?
I.e. 10 uses 

And would that instance need to be server or cloud (as we already have a server instance)?

Many thanks and fingers crossed,
Andy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2020

You would need to buy a licence for 10 users.  It could be server or cloud, you've not given us any reason to prefer one over the other.

Hello and (sorry for any double postings)
My hastily formed follow-up question was regarding how to possibly work around the issue of requiring so many Xray licenses.

Discussions have been had and simply put if we need to apply it to the whole company, then as an option, it's not going to happen.
I also got the strong impression that having it free for 6 months was also a no-go as that would only be pushing the problem further down the road.

But...
A question was asked thinking about Xray being applicable to a Jira instance. If that is the case then what would be the outcome of starting a separate instance and then applying Xray to that?

Also...
As we have a Server Jira instance, would it be easier to create another server instance or to simply have a cloud instance?

From my side, I simply want to try and initiate a way to get Xray into the company with minimal complexity - so server or cloud is of no impact unless there is a cost or technical issue which someone with more experience can tell me about.

Finally...
I have also learned that the great responses I receive are very closely related to my writing well thought out questions. 

So to everyone, I apologise for my sloppy follow-up question and hope this makes amends.

Lesson learned,
Andy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2020

> Hello and...

No problem, people talk and respond in many different ways, we expect that.  It's better to ask a question about the question and/or give more information than it is to be silent because you're unsure.

>I also got the strong impression that having it free for 6 months was also a no-go as that would only be pushing the problem further down the road.

I think you're right on that.  Evaluation would be fine, but in 6 months, you'll still have to buy the licence in order to keep using it.

>If that is the case then what would be the outcome of starting a separate instance and then applying Xray to that?

You'll have a Jira instance with Xray in it.  So two separate and independent Jira instances to work with.

>As we have a Server Jira instance, would it be easier to create another server instance or to simply have a cloud instance?

Depends on what you expect from "easier". 

Cloud instances are easier to set up - you sign up with a name, give Atlassian a way to get their money for the subscription, and (roughly) half an hour later, you'll have a Cloud system available for you to start using.  Server systems need you to find a server to run it on, get system admin access on it, run through an install, plus getting a licence.  But that's all about "ease of getting an empty system ready to use".  In both cases, you'll need to do configuration, getting users added, adding apps you intend to use, project setup etc etc etc

>From my side, I simply want to try and initiate a way to get Xray into the company with minimal complexity - so server or cloud is of no impact unless there is a cost or technical issue which someone with more experience can tell me about.

They both have costs and potentially technical issues, the big question here now is whether you want to run Xray with your existing data or if you want to run it on a separate system.

Like andy.aidoo likes this
Bill Somerville June 24, 2022

This "everyone must have a license" approach to Atlassian Cloud apps will prevent us from ever expanding beyond basic Jira Software.  That, coupled with the bloat in fees from the fixed 10-user tier to the higher tiers makes Xray, in particular, a non-starter for us.  I don't care how good Xray may be - if everyone has to be licensed for it, it's not going to happen at $4+ per user when only 8 or so of our 27 users need access.  At $7.50/user for Jira, $4.25 for just Xray makes no sense at all.

I could potentially justify Xray at the base tier of $1/user, but never going to happen at $4.25.

Like Eugenia Peralta likes this
Noopur Varshney _AIO Tests_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 14, 2022

Hi @Bill Somerville 

You can check out AIO Tests.

It is modestly priced and still caters to the entire testing lifecycle. It also keeps Jira and Test Management separate but still integrated for a seamless experience. 

Here is a link to our documentation.

If you would like a demo, please contact us through our support portal.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events