How can I export the test cases with their test steps and comments from JIRA.

Josin Joseph April 12, 2018

Hello,

In JIRA I have a project created with multiple test cases which in turn have multiple test steps.

So my question is how can I export the test cases with their test steps and comments from JIRA.  Also would like to know if there is a way I can export multiple test cases with their respective test steps and comments from JIRA.

The current export functionality which is available in JIRA does not provide test steps, and just provides all the test cases created within a project selected.

If I try to export the test case directly I get the options of MS Word, XML and printable.

Kindly provide a solution of a way in which i can get it done.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2019

Zephyr test steps are Jira issues extended with Zephyr-specific concepts like test steps, execution and such.

You can export all these using the Better PDF Exporter for Jira Cloud app. It supports everything you mentioned (incl. comments) for one or more tests (result of a JQL query e.g.):

See this sample document and give it a try.

(Discl: I am developer working on this paid cloud app.)

jira-zephyr-test-steps

Anthony Caramagno December 16, 2021

It's not helpful to export one test at a time when you have hundreds of tests in Jira/Zephyr. Do you have a solution where "Better PDF Exporter for Jira Cloud" can export all tests in a given project backlog?

Like Varatharajan_B-ext likes this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

Zephyr tests are regular Jira issues. It means that you can export any number of those from any screen supported by the Better PDF Exporter app. The most important one in this sense is the Issue Navigator.

So, run a JQL like this in Issue Navigator, then export the result to PDF, it is absolutely possible:

project = MyProject and type=Test and status=Backlog

Like # people like this
Anthony Caramagno December 17, 2021

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for your response - I was trying it from the backlog before and I guess that it doesn't work the same as it does in issue navigator (which worked!). Also of note, I was trying to export to excel (not PDF). 

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2021

For Excel, you can use the "twin app" of Better PDF Exporter, which is intuitively called Better Excel Exporter

I was trying it from the backlog before and I guess that it doesn't work the same as it does in issue navigator

I'm not sure what it means "work the same"...

Like # people like this
Anthony Caramagno December 20, 2021

In backlog It only exports the list and the fields but not the test steps. By using the Issue navigator and the query method I was able to export the fields AND the test steps from there.  

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

It is the Excel template that decides what information is exported, and it is the Excel view that chooses which Excel template should be rendered to produce the export file. Therefore, if you use the "Zephyr Test Steps (Current Fields)", it should export the test steps also from the backlog screen (and from any screen).

Isn't this possible that the view "Zephyr Test Steps (Current Fields)" is not enabled for the backlog screen? Please make sure that it is enabled and you use this also from backlogs.

Anthony Caramagno December 21, 2021

Thanks Aron, I didn't know that it's configurable which exports can be enabled from which screen (backlog screen vs. issues list screen). The "Zephyr Test Steps (Current Fields)" selection is not displayed on the exporter popup window when it is launched from the backlog screen in Jira but I do see it if I open an issue individually or if I go to the Issues Navigator list view.

This is the default setup that we have installed here (trial version) and we have not done any configuration. I would suggest to make that as the default config for the backlog screen as QA people would most likely want to export test steps.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Seriously, why don't you read the app docs? It takes 3 clicks to turn on what you look for...

See: https://midori-global.com/products/better-pdf-exporter-for-jira/cloud/documentation/#managing-pdf-export-types

1 vote
Varatharajan_B-ext March 28, 2021

Hi 

Iam using Xray, Is there any way to export to PDF Xray issue, test case, test case execution and activity too

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 29, 2021

Are you on Server/DataCenter? In that case, you can do that with the dedicated Xray template for Better PDF Exporter.

Browse Xray PDF export examples here!

If you are on Jira Cloud, then please vote (click "thumbs-up") for the feature request here:
https://midori.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009430920-Support-for-Xray-test-data

jira-xray-manual-test-with-test-runs.png

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2021

Hi @Varatharajan_B-ext 

Xray has its own exporting feature called Document Generator.

Here is the documentation for both versions: Xray Server and Xray Cloud.

If you need further help, please contact the Xray Support (http://xraysupport.xpand-it.com).

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Varatharajan_B-ext March 29, 2021

Hi

I am using JIra cloud. Yes i know we hvae document generator but my requirement is

Export to PDF Xray related activity, Test case, Test Execution + Results + Activity section also.

Like Levente Szabo _Midori_ likes this
0 votes

I am using JIra cloud. Yes i know we hvae document generator but my requirement is

Export to PDF Xray related activity, Test case, Test Execution + Results + Activity section also.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2021

@Varatharajan_B-ext you can export all that information, except for the Activity which is not yet possible to export.

It is however necessary that you design the template, to extract the information.

All the necessary code to get that information can be found in the Xray Documentation.

Pls help me to get the Xray history and retrive activity section in test execution

I need Jira Expression code for Xray history

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2021

Hi @Varatharajan_B-ext 

My advice is to install one of the Document Generator reports, like the "Test Report" or the "Test Runs Report," and alter it to include any additional information that you need.

Please note that the Activity is not currently possible to export.

Since the building of Templates may require some help to get started, please contact the Xray Support (http://xraysupport.xpand-it.com) for additional help with the template.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

0 votes
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2018

You can find Zephyr support contact information from the page: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.thed.zephyr.je/cloud/support

0 votes
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2018

Hi Josin,

To answer your question above, you must let us know what test management add-on are you using in JIRA.

Regards,

Cheney

Josin Joseph April 25, 2018

Hi Cheney,

I am using Zephyr for JIRA Cloud.

Suggest an answer