Export Stories along with Sub-tasks to CSV

Prabhu Chilukuri December 15, 2021

Hi All,

How to export the user stories along with their respective Sub-tasks to CSV file?

4 answers

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

You can export any issue list with the preferred columns using Better Excel Exporter, then save the Excel spreadsheet to CSV using the native "save as" feature in Excel.

There is a bazillion of export features available out of the box.

(Dicl. I'm a developer working on this paid and supported app.)

jira-issues-selected-fields.png

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2021

Hi @Prabhu Chilukuri

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you may want to have a look at JXL for Jira. Among many other things, you can...

• add any fields you want to include in your CSV file,
  • show issues according to their hierarchy, i.e., sub-tasks below their respective stories, and
  • export your issue table as CSV (among other formats).

You can find more information on JXL here and watch a short explainer video here.

(Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Hope this helps!

Best,

Hannes

Fabio Paglianti January 14, 2022

hi Hannes

just tried your solution but - even if I have listed sub-tasks as requires issue type, your solution do not export them.

just using a quite easy query as project = XXX AND issuetype in (Story, Task, Sub-task) 

any idea?

f.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2022

Hi @Fabio Paglianti,

here's how it should work:

1.) I create a sheet with a query similar to yours:

step-1.png

2.) I enable the "default hierarchy"; you can see that subtasks are now shown "below" their story/task:

step-2.png

3.) In the "..." menu in the top-right corner of the screen, I chose "Export", and export the sheet:

step-3.png

4.) In the resulting export, subtasks are now grouped below their story/task:

step-4.png

Let me know if this works! If not, I'm happy to jump into a video call and look through it together; just drop us an email at hello at fine dot software.

Like Fabio Paglianti likes this
Fabio Paglianti January 17, 2022

Dear Hannes

apologize me - you are right and I am wrong - it works as expected.

My issue is when I try to extract from jira a limited amount of stories, tasks and their subtasks listing in advance the selected epic(s).

It is a jira issue as sub-tasks do not have the epic listed in their attribute

The right query seems to be:

project = DEMOPROJECT AND issuetype in (Story, Task, Sub-task) AND ("Epic Link" in (DEMOPROJECT-546, and so on) OR "Parent Link" in (DEMOPROJECT-609, and so on)) ORDER BY parent ASC, cf[10003] ASC, cf[10010] DESC, created DESC.

thanks

George Blockwitz May 18, 2022

@Hannes Obweger I am trying to follow your steps, however in Step 2 the selection of Hierarchy is not coming up in my Jira instance. I am staring from the left navigation "Issues' then entering in this JQL 

project = GSMA AND text ~ Operations AND issuetype in (Sub-task, Story) AND status = Accepted

Without the Hierarchy selection, my stories and sub-tasks are not filtering correctly. What am I doing wrong? I am trying to look back at Operations stories to see if we have a pattern of the same sub-tasks being added each sprint, to see if we can automate any of these tasks. I though this report would give me exactly what I'm looking for, but now I just have a huge report with no worth. HELP!!!

Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2022

Hi @George Blockwitz

welcome to the community!

Just to be sure, did you install JXL for Jira from the Atlassian Marketplace? The above is all happening within JXL and doesn't work like this in "plain" Jira.

Thanks!

George Blockwitz May 18, 2022

I am checking if my company allows this, or if we already have a license for JXL.  So there is no way to achieve this with regular Jira instance?

Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2022

I don't think that native Jira can do that, sorry. 

You can trial JXL (and any other app, for that matter) for free for 1 months, so you can always just give it a try and see how it works for you. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions!

Hope this helps,

Best,

H

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
December 16, 2021

Hi @Prabhu Chilukuri 

If you would be interested in an add-on to view your entire issue hierarchy in a CSV format, you can try out our plugin

Agile Tools : Epic Tree & Time in Status 

The app also provides sum up at each level for time estimates and story points.

Epic Hierarchy - CSV Export.png

0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

Hello @Prabhu Chilukuri 

In order to export the stories and the sub-tasks, it can be done using the JQL.

If you want to group the user stories and sub-tasks as per the user story, that would require an add-on from the Atlassian Marketplace as the 'GROUP BY' functionality is not natively available in Jira.

Please accept the answer of this helps.

Suggest an answer