Highlighted

Start here: Atlassian Community 101 Edited

Erica Moss Community Manager Aug 27, 2018

To help you get acclimated, we've rounded up the most important information from around the community. Can't find what you're looking for? Email communitymanagers@atlassian.com, and we'll point you in the right direction!

Asking questions

Wondering why it says "I'm new here" next to your name? Or how about the best ways to follow the content you care most about? All of that is covered in our handy FAQ page.

Navigating the community

We've outlined some guardrails that help define what it means to be a good citizen of the community โ€” long story short: be nice and participate often. (smile)

Following content

Your experience here will be much more rewarding if you're watching the topics and threads that matter most to you. Check out our list of best practices, which outlines how best to personalize your feed and manage notifications. Pro tip: Some of our most noteworthy tags are community-release-notes (what's new and/or updated around here), friday-fun (ease into the weekend by answering prompts from fellow members) and miscellaneous-monday (random topics to jump-start your week).

Keeping tags in check

Tags help organize content into buckets, but if they go unchecked, can become unwieldy and counterproductive. Read how a group of Champions helped reduce the number of tags from 20,000 to 5,200, and how you can help us win the war of the tags.

Writing articles

While article writing used to be limited to Atlassian team members and Community Champions, we've now opened it up to other active contributors! Another helpful resource for writing articles or posts is our voice and tone guide.

Earning badges

We call them happy little circles, other people call them badges. Either way, you collect them through your activity on the community, and, well, you've gotta catch 'em all.

Bonus: Every month, we introduce a new challenge for the chance at a brand new badge.

Joining the Community Champions program

Our most knowledgable and enthusiastic community members have the opportunity to join our Community Champions program, a group of online ambassadors who dedicate time to answering questions, writing articles and bringing great energy to our little corner of the internet. To learn more, check out the application page.

Participating as a partner or vendor

Partners and vendors play an important role in the Atlassian Community. If you are one, we just ask that you be super explicit about it and be as helpful as possible without being overly promotional. Dig into a few more details on the guidelines page.

3 comments

Meg Holbrook Community Leader Aug 27, 2018

Great guide for new users, love this group!

Erica Moss Community Manager Aug 28, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Thanks, Meg! More details to come. ๐Ÿ˜„

Eric Fields Oct 08, 2018

Hello, I am a new user who is looking forward to learning and sharing with you all. I'm systems admin by training and new to Jira; so, I'm excited to embrace and learn as much as I possibly can. All feedback is welcome!

Kimberly Deal Community Leader Oct 08, 2018

Hi @Eric Fields!

Welcome to the Community!  We're super happy to have you here :D

Erica Moss Community Manager Oct 10, 2018

We're so pumped you're here, @Eric Fields! Be sure to check out the rest of the threads here in the Welcome Center, the Jira collection and maybe even show us the view from your office. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Eric Fields Oct 12, 2018

Hi Erica! Thank you so much!

Eric Fields Oct 15, 2018

Kimberly Deal, I have no idea how I missed your welcome (I'm blaming my cell...my eyes are just fine!):( So sorry and Thank you!

Carol Jones Oct 15, 2018

Love this guide.  I didn't realize there were added benefits to being a Community Champion outside of the badge and recognition title.  So nice!

Erica Moss Community Manager Oct 16, 2018

@Carol Jones We think it's a pretty cool gig, but we're biased. ๐Ÿ˜„

Comment