Atlassian Community guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners Edited

Atlassian's partners are a vital part of our community and we want you to be active in it! Here are some guidelines for how to do so effectively.

Identify yourself as a partner: Make sure the user is aware you are affiliated with a partner company; for example, by placing the name of your company in your user name in brackets. If you are mentioning your own products or services, make sure you include wording to make it clear that you are affiliated with the company providing those products or services.

No promotional language: Your posts and comments should not be for the sole purpose of promoting your products or brand.  The community is not an appropriate place to promote special pricing or discounts. We will remove posts that are promotional in nature and will flag users who do so. Repeat offenders may be removed from the community.  

No linking to your product siteThe community is a place of learning and connecting, not to promote or point people back to your products. The exceptions are: 

• A user explicitly asks for information about your products or services
  • You are mentioning your app as one possible solution to users
  • You've written an article about a particular app and want to link the app in your article
  • Your support documentation answers a user's question in depth and you want to refer them to it (note, please include a summary of the answer on the community as well. rather than just linking out without any context)

No spamming: Although you are welcome to offer your product as a solution when appropriate, this doesn't mean posting links everywhere that you can find. In general, avoid resurrecting old threads (six months or more old) simply to promote your products.

Don't bash other partners: Per our community guidelines, the community should be a helpful and friendly place. Partners should help users and not bash other partners and products. The Atlassian Community is an open place where anyone can answer questions and participate in discussions. 

App discussions: Discussions about apps and add-ons are acceptable in the App Marketplace collection, and where relevant elsewhere. When recommending an app, always be aware that there may be other solutions to the problem that do not involve an app, and we want to give the community a chance to provide these solutions.  Ideally, the app would be presented as one of a number of possible solutions. That said, if your app could solve the customer's problem, you can step in and recommend the app.  

Make sure the user is aware you are affiliated with the app vendor by mentioning that in the body of your post (they may not notice it in your username). For example, if you are recommending your Flurb app, you might say: "Please note that I’m one of the folks behind Flurb, there may be other solutions out there."

If you adhere to these guidelines and believe your post has been removed or flagged in error, reach out to us at and let us know. 

Articles: Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners now have the ability to request article-writing permission -- see how to request permissions below. Vendors can choose to write two types of articles:

Partners can write FAQs about their apps, tips and tricks on how to use them, or other documentation. These articles should stay in the App Marketplace collection only and not use additional product tags so as not to "spam" product collections.  You can, however, create additional tags to organize this content – if you have an app called Flurb, for instance, you can use tags like flurb-app, flurb-jira, and flurb-confluence, and ask users to create content using your tags so all of your flurb-jira content (for example) can live in the same place. 

Partners can write general-interest articles about Atlassian products, Atlassian events, agile methodologies, etc. These should not mention apps, and so do not have to stay in the App Marketplace collection. If partners are interested in becoming more broadly involved in community, perhaps even joining the Community Champion program in the future, providing general help to our users and participating in community is a great way to get started. Learn more about the Community Champion program here.

If you are an Atlassian partner and you have reviewed and agreed to these guidelines, leave a comment below to request the Marketplace vendor or Solutions Partner role and permissions on community. 

Case studies: If anyone is interested in working with Atlassian to write up a case study about yourself or your customers, our content manager @Bridget Sauer would love to hear from you. You can pitch your ideas directly to

Thanks for your participation in our community, and let me know below if you have any questions or feedback.

Hi Monique, 

May I please request 'article-writing' permissions for Easy Agile?

Hi @Teagan Harbridge -- sure thing, you should have the permissions now. I look forward to reading your articles!

This is amazing news @Monique van den Berg! The guideline itself is also an amazing source of knowledge.

If it is possible, myself and @Dastin Kuwałek [SoftwarePlant] would also love to request for these permissions in order to throw a couple of articles on SoftwarePlant plugins. :)

Your access has been granted, @Piotrek Romanczyk [SoftwarePlant] -- let me know if you encounter any issues or need any help!

@Dastin Kuwałek [SoftwarePlant] will just need to leave a comment here to indicate he has read the guidelines.  Then I will be happy to give him access as well :) 

Many thanks Monique! Alrighty! I will let Dastin know. He is currently on a sick leave, so will make sure to let him know once he's back! Once again thanks a million. This is FAN-TAS-TIC! :D

Hey Monique,

Cheers for keeping these guidelines updated—you're a big part of what keeps this community ticking.

I reckon your job would be made a lot easier if there was a better way for vendors to identify themselves—maybe like how Atlassian team members can signal their impartiality with their badges, we could signal our partiality in the same way. I've seen some pretty obvious violations recently which could be solved by making this clear by default (instead of asking team members to add brackets to their names, which shadier vendors just aren't going to do).

Anyway, I just really wanted to emphasise my thanks for what you and your team do—these forums are so good, other users often beat my team to the answers we were going to give!

Hi Monique, 

May I request  the 'article-writing' permissions too?
Thank you!

@Huw Evans thanks so much for the kind words! I agree that some kind of lozenge or flag would be helpful and am looking at different options here. Stay tuned and let me know if you see any issues in the meantime.

@Kristina Meelind [Avisi] I will add your access, thanks! Looking forward to reading your articles.  

Hi, Monique. "Article-Writing" permission for me, too, please.

@Dave Rosenlund [ALM Works] you are taken care of. :)

Everyone, until we have an automated way to identify you, make sure to add your company in brackets after your name per our guidelines.  Example:@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Thanks and happy article writing!

Thanks, @Monique van den Berg    I missed that part of the instructions.

Hey @Monique van den Berg

This is excellent news! 😀
It's reassuring that the feedback from community discussions at San Jose has come to fruition so quickly. 
Major kudos to y'all in the community team. ⭐️

I'd like to have 'article-writing' permission set for myself, please!

My Spartez colleague @Jacek Wizmur-Szymczak will revert a comment here in due course too. 

Howdy @Monique van den Berg, thank you so much for kicking this off. I would also appreciate contribution permissions when you have the chance.

Hey there @Monique van den Berg,

This is exciting news! I'd like to request permissions as well when you have a moment. 

@Shannon Meehan (K15t Software)@Davin Pukulis (K15t Software), and @Adrian Love you should all have been granted article permissions -- let me know if you encounter any issues. 

And thank you for the kind words and enthusiasm -- I'm so happy to hear that it is appreciated and look forward to reading everyone's articles!

Hey @Monique van den Berg

This is great news. Can I send you a case study to gauge whether it's the right type of content for the community.

Hey @Monique van den Berg, please give me permission as well :)

@Monique van den Berg, could you please grant Midori 'article-writing' permissions as well? Thanks!

Great news!

@Monique van den Berg I'd like to request 'article-writing' permissions for Xpand Add-ons

@Charlie Harrisson yes! Please send to and and we'll take a look. :)

@José Domingues [Xpand Add-ons]@Jacek Wizmur-Szymczak, and @Levente Szabo [Midori], I have updated all your permissions. Don't forget your company name in [Brackets] if it's not already there. ;) . 

Hello there Monique! 

Well, now here's the thing. I have put the company name into brackets [SoftwarePlant] some time ago. It got updated on the Confluence right away, though it never did on the Community. I know that @Dastin Kuwałek [SoftwarePlant] had the same issue and at some point (after a year or so) apparently it triggered. Is there a chance that the feature is not working as intended? 

@Piotrek Romanczyk [SoftwarePlant] that is interesting. It could be related to another issue that @Shannon Spaniol is investigating.  Let me start a Feedback thread and I'll tag you there to include your details, thank you!

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Feb 23, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

328 views 2 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot