Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Release across multiple projects

Dhruv Singh December 1, 2021

Currently we are having more than 10 projects that teams are using for their respective sprints task. 

I want to create single release for the following projects - FEED, AT, SPST, FUL out of my all projects. Is there a way to achieve the same, instead of using separate releases for these projects?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2021

Hi @Dhruv Singh 

This is not possible to do today within Jira Software Cloud.  A release or version is bound within the scope of that particular project.  We do have a feature request that seeks to share a release among multiple projects over in JSWCLOUD-16637.

That said, if you were using Jira Advanced Roadmaps found in the premium Jira Software Cloud subscription, then you could use a cross-project release as mentioned in Create a cross-project release in Advanced Roadmaps.  But it's not clear to me if this would be helpful to your specific use case here, that article does mention that this cross-project release doesn't add any data to the issues themselves, and instead is only used to help align multiple single project releases.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2022

I managed to develop a way to create these releases in several projects at once.

See how:

You will need to create a phantom issue on each project just to be responsible for project allocation and visibility within the automation. In this case and to help, I created a small automation that makes clones of my issue in each project where the release will be created.

But issues can be created manually.
STEP 1:
- Create the issue in each project with a subjective name so that nobody deletes it;
- Choose one of the issues to be a kind of parent issue and associate all the others to it by a type of link, in this case I chose "Relates to"
RELEASE - Step 1.PNG

Creating automation:

Choose the trigger: SCHEDULE and put it to run 1 time a month (just to guarantee the next step);

In the JQL, enter the issue you chose to be the PARENT and place. In my case, it was the SUB-59.

RELEASE - AUTOMATION - Step 1.PNG

Then add a "Create version" action to the automation and name it whatever you want.

Then add a branch, and choose for "Linked Issues", select the link type where you linked all child issues to the parent issue, in my case it was "Relates to".

RELEASE - AUTOMATION - Step 2.PNG

After that, add the create release action again.

Put the same name and information that was entered in the previous action and you're done.

An important detail when selecting the release within the branch is to keep the "Current project" information in "Project".

RELEASE - AUTOMATION - Step 3.PNG

Jira will read each issue related to the parent (branch) as a project, because they are issues from different projects.

After that, just give a "Run rule" in the schedule, see the results:

RELEASE - AUTOMATION - Step 4.PNG

Then, just deactivate the automation and whenever they need to create versions in multiple projects, change the release information in each "Action" > Save the automation > Activate again and apply the "Run rule".

Hope this helps. Hahahaha

Like Andre Alforque likes this
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2022

Using the MANUAL trigger:

The automation only works sometimes, it seems that Jira is not able to read the branch when I change the trigger to MANUAL.

I opened another support ticket with atlassian to know more details.

But with the schedule it seems to work perfectly fine.

kkidd May 25, 2023

Hi - Thanks for the info.  I did get this to work BUT it only updates one of the Issues that I have 'Relates to' the parent.   I have 12 that need to be added.   Thoughts?

Simplatex April 13, 2024

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events