Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Frequently asked questions - about the product (how do I...?)

Product questions

Where can I find documentation? 

You can access product documentation here: Jira Product Discovery support

To help get you started here are a few demo videos:

What are some of the popular features that teams use in Jira Product Discovery? 

Most teams use the product for prioritization and communicating roadmaps. They leverage the flexibility of custom fields and views.

Demo: using custom fields and views to prioritize and communicate roadmaps

We have multiple products and teams. Should we use one project or multiple? 

This depends on many factors. Jira Product Discovery was designed to work best when used by individual teams using the Spotify squad model. But it's possible to use a single project to share between teams/products, especially when there's a high level of collaboration required between these teams. 

Demo: using a single project for multiple products and teams

There's no hierarchical view of ideas. How can we organize a large list of ideas? 

Instead of a hierarchical view you can make use of the flexible views and fields structure to visualize your ideas based on a number of dimensions. You can create a separate field per dimension that you want to use to categorize ideas, and then use them in different views using grouping and filtering.

Demo: using fields and views to organize a large list of ideas

Can we create different issue types and their relationships? (e.g. parent/child or opportunity/solution)

Not yet, but it's on the roadmap. In the meantime you can use the flexible fields and views system to do this. Here is an example:

Demo: grouping solutions by opportunities. And here's a recording for how to reproduce this configuration

How can we share a roadmap with internal stakeholders and customers?

You cannot currently share Jira Product Discovery views with customers, however you can definitely share them with internal stakeholders. They will need a Jira user account, but as long as these accounts are only given access to Jira Product Discovery with a role of "Viewer", they will not be not need a paid license.

Demo: sharing a roadmap with internal stakeholders

How can we use Jira Product Discovery to collect feedback from customers/users and other teams (support, sales, customer success, marketing)?

In this first version of Jira Product Discovery, we’ve focused on some the jobs that help a PM do their job: prioritizing ideas and opportunities, creating and sharing roadmaps that stay up to date, and capturing feedback from a bunch of different places (interview notes in Confluence/Google Docs, conversations in Slack/Teams). But for now we assume the PMs have existing channels they use to receive feedback, and we help them send this feedback to ideas in Jira Product Discovery.

We have only partially tackled the job of creating a direct feedback channel between customers/users or other internal teams (sales/support/customer success/marketing) with the product team. We have plans to do more there, but for now these are the options that you can use to do that with the product today:

1. Set up a Jira Service Management queue to receive feedback from customers and internal teams

2. Set up a dedicated Slack channel #product-feedback to receive feedback from internal teams (also works with Teams)

3. Share views with other teams and gather their feedback using fields and votes to receive feedback from internal teams

How do I automatically change an idea when its delivery issues are done?

You can use Project Automation to automatically make a change to an idea (change a field value, transition to a status) when it's delivery epic/issues are done. 

Demo: project automation in Jira Product Discovery

How do I include effort in a priority score?

You can use a formula that takes into account things like impact and effort to calculate a priority score. Here's an example for how to configure your project to use the RICE formula (Reach * Impact * Confidence / Effort)

Demo: using RICE to prioritize ideas

Does Jira Product Discovery have an API?

There are a few things we need to iron out so you can query all information via an API, however, there's already a great deal you can do today:

So that should be more than enough to let you create reports to show how many ideas there are, who's working on them, what status they're in, how long they've been in the project, when they were last updated, etc. 

Can I set view-only permissions for a view I’m trying to share?

The people you want to share a view with must have the correct permissions. At the moment, you can’t change permissions at the view level. If you’re going to share a view with view-only permission with a team member, you will have to change the team member user permissions at the project level. Learn more about how to manage your project roles and permissions. 
  • If the project is public, everyone on the Jira site is a team member by default. Even if you make them viewers, they’ll still be able to create and edit ideas.
  • If the project is limited, everyone on the Jira site is a viewer by default (can comment and vote, but can’t create or edit ideas). If you want people to edit ideas, you need to make them team members.
  • If the project is closed, no one can access the project by default, and you need to give a role to everyone you want to invite: viewer for the read-only use case, team member to be able to create/edit ideas, or admin so they are able to configure the project and fields.

3 comments

Hi Tanguy,

Thank you for this FAQ with plenty of useful informations. And thanks for your team for developing what will be a very good tool for a better product management in JIRA software environment.

Maybe the only question missing here could be "how to join the beta ?" ;)

I've already opted-in and can't wait to try Product Discovery after I've seen it during a training, but until now I was not able to get access to it. Are you planning to allow more users on it anytime soon ?

Thanks,

Guillaume

Like GuillaumeVDH likes this

Hello to the team, thank you very much for this FAQ! Very interesting to have live examples of how we can use your product and frameworks like RICE. :) 

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you