Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read this if you're a site administrator and just added Jira Product Discovery Free or Standard

Hi there, and welcome! 

We wanted to save you some trouble with a few things to help you get started with Jira Product Discovery. There are a couple of gotchas, so make sure to read this page before raising a support tickets, we believe most of the "oddities" of the product should be covered here when it comes to what site administrators need to be able to do. 

If you just added Jira Product Discovery, verify this 👇

If you are on the standard edition, check that you have payment details for Jira Product Discovery

Atlassian is currently rolling out a new billing engine, and the migration is not complete: in some sites, Jira Product Discovery is on a different billing engine than other Atlassian products, and you need to add payment details specifically for Jira Product Discovery.

If you don't do that, at the end of the trial period for the standard plan your plan will be cancelled automatically, and users won't be able to access the product. 

Here's a post explaining how to verify billing details.

Edit: if you moved to the free or standard edition from of 19 July 2023 the following two steps should not be needed anymore 👇

Site admins will count as billable users by default, here's how to change that

If you just added Jira Product Discovery to your site, you'll notice that all site administrators have been given product access to the product - and consume a license. This is because whenever a site administrator adds a new Atlassian product to a site, the site-admins user group is automatically given access to this product. 

To fix this, remove access to Jira Product Discovery from the site-admins user group. You can then give product access to the people (product managers) you want to try the product instead.

This video shows you how to do it.

Note: if you see a different admin experience, check out the comments below this post 👇 for another way to do this. 

Trusted users will count as billable users by default

Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also use a license for all products on site. The only workaround in this case is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admins, after removing product access from the site-admins group.

The only workaround in this case is to:

1. Remove product access from the site-admins group.
  2. Change the user's role to Basic or Site-admins. Ensure past trusted users' roles are also changed or they will continue to consume a license.

Important information to manage users in Jira Product Discovery

If the number of users in the "Billing" section in admin.atlassian.com does not match the number of Creators you expect to have

Check out this video that explains how to check who is getting billed for Jira Product Discovery and common reasons why that number is higher than you expect (and how to fix that). 

This assumes you already understand how Creators and Contributors work👇

There are two types of users: Creators (billable) and Contributors (free)

Creators can do everything. They need product access to Jira Product Discovery (aka a license).

Contributors do not need any Jira license, just a (free) Atlassian account added to the site (free). They can open Jira Product Discovery projects in read-only mode and Contribute using comments, votes, adding insights, proposing ideas. 

It's described in more details here.

How do I add contributors to a Jira Product Discovery project if they don't have a Jira license? 

You need to add them to a specific user group. Watch this video to understand how.

Note: if you started using Jira Product Discovery during the beta, you'll first need to create the Contributors user group.

If the feature is turned on for them, Contributors are able to create ideas in a Jira Product Discovery project via a configurable form, but not edit them. More details in this post.

What's the difference between product roles and project roles?

An additional aspect to understand is Product role vs Project role:

• Product role: basically "is the user a Creator or a Contributor in this site?" (do they have a Jira Product Discovery license or not?) as per everything we've discussed earlier in this post
  • Project role: project roles define a list of permissions in a project. When user are given a project role in a project, it limits the list of features they can access in this project. Users can have different project roles in different projects. Here's a video that explains this in more details. 

65 comments

Comment

Sebastian Pechhold June 12, 2023

Wow - right on time! Thanks for sharing

Like • # people like this

It is me again - we are using premium. But unfortunately we don't see the navigation point "users" in the admin/directory. We just can remove the user from site-admin groups, but not dedicated for a product like you have shown in the video. 

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 16.03.58.png

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 16.06.09.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2023

@Sebastian Pechhold if you click on "manage product access" you'll be able to do that. You'll get to this screen: 

image (53).png

Then uncheck the "User" role for the site-admins group:

image (54).png

Frank Herr June 12, 2023

Hi there, maybe another noob gotcha.

I just added JPD for Jira Cloud. I am on a free license. I am unable to view or create a "view." When I click into the left nav options, I have the option to go "back to views." However, after clicking "back to views," I then see no views or ways to create them - I can only see "Project Settings." Help please?Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 10.29.56 PM.png 

@Tanguy Crusson unfortunately not really :/ 

How can i activate the new admin view? We are customers since june/july 2021

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 08.56.27.png

Just removed site-admins group. But had to remove some user rights as well like TRUSTED USER

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2023

@Sebastian Pechhold sounds like you found the right spot: if you removed site-admins from "Jira Product Discovery" then that should do the trick. 

You are correct with trusted users, they also consume a license, I've clarified in the post, thank you.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2023

@Frank Herr do you have product access to Jira Product Discovery? What you're describing sounds like you're a site admin (so you can create projects and manage project settings) but without a Jira Product Discovery license (meaning you can't use the product)

Like • H7 alex likes this
Stephen Stone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 13, 2023

One point on the initial setup: contributor-only users won't see the product in their app grid. it's not immediately clear to them they're added, or have any access, since they'll only see the product in the project type filter dropdown.

Frank Herr June 13, 2023

Thanks @Tanguy CrussonI confirmed I do have product access. I am the bottom user in the screenshot below. Interestingly, another user in my org does not have product access as explained in the red "!" marker. We are both seeing the same behavior, though - able to view the new PD project and create issues, but we cannot create views to do anything with the issues we create. Anything else I should look into?

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 2.24.43 PM.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2023

@Frank Herr can you please send me a screen recording of you opening the project settings > access and then opening views? I'm having trouble visualizing the symptoms. tcrusson@atlassian.com. Thanks!

Like • Monique vdB likes this
Kevin Lukas Diekstall
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 22, 2023

Hi @Frank Herr ,
I don't know if you have already solved this as your post is about a week old, but I had an issue that at least felt related: I couldn't change the status of an issue and my account looked like yours in your screenshot.

For me it helped to give myself the creator-role (in the dropdown) aswell as the Administrator role, it seems as if the creator-tag on the left only relates to the billing of the user, not the rigths in the project.
This is what my account now looks like, mine is the one at the bottom:

APD Creator permissioon.jpg

Like • Monique vdB likes this
Peter Heidorn June 28, 2023

I think this should say "If you DONT"
Pretty sure we all know that but still good to update.

Dont Do That.jpg

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2023

Thanks @Peter Heidorn , updated!

Kate Smoliakova June 29, 2023

This is ver helpful! Thanks!

Oliver Murray June 29, 2023

I'm still a bit confused about what is making our 50+ JPD users creator types not contributors

I have given them all JPD access as below:

image.png

If I do not give them access here, they cannot view the space at all. No ticket links I send them will open. 

They all appear as CREATOR types in JPD, no matter what role I give them (I'm fully aware of the different functionality options and what triggers paid usage - I have tried default contributor and custom roles):

image.png

Typically they are basic users and not part of any admin groups. 

Please can you help me figure out what is making them all CREATORs?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2023

Hi @Oliver Murray , that's because you've given them all product access, so they're all creators (and that's what you're seeing in this screen). 

Instead you want to add the non-creators as contributors. 

More details here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Adding-contributors-and-creators-to-a-Jira-Product-Discovery/ba-p/2324017

Oliver Murray June 29, 2023

Many Thanks @Tanguy Crusson I've located the special contributor's group now so will test that out and migrate users. I don't think that existed last time I tried this.

Selena Colvin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 7, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I am a Site Admin and when I added this (free version), Jira automatically added 'Trusted' permission folks to this product; however, they are not the people that I want to have access. Right now we only want our Product folks to have access to test it out to see if we will purchase. And I can't give my Product folks Trusted access, because I don't have enough licenses due to this product automatically adding folks. The only way to remove the original folks who have Trusted access is to completely revoke their access - there has to be a better way where I can pick and choose the people that I want to have access. 

Also, is there a way where it doesn't automatically default to try add new people to this? Folks are erroring out and it is causing mass confusion in my org. I have two new devs right now that I can't grant access, because Jira keeps trying to add them to this Product Discovery and we do not have enough licenses...

Please advise and thanks!!

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2023

@Selena Colvin we added this guidance on trusted users to the post:

Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also use a license for all products on site. The only workaround in this case is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admins, after removing product access from the site-admins group.

It appears that your site admins have also been automatically granted access. You can change that with this step:

If you just added Jira Product Discovery to your site, you'll notice that all site administrators have been given product access to the product - and consume a license. This is because whenever a site administrator adds a new Atlassian product to a site, the site-admins user group is automatically given access to this product. 

To fix this, remove access to Jira Product Discovery from the site-admins user group. You can then give product access to the people (product managers) you want to try the product instead.

Note: if you see a different admin experience, check out the comments below this post 👇 for another way to do this. 

Selena Colvin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 7, 2023

Thank you, @Rohan Swami ! This helps. Thank you!

Yogev Marom July 17, 2023

Hi!
We are trying to use Jira product discovery and we are stuck because of the trusted user permissions.
Medium to big companies have a barrier in conducting a pilot for Jira product discovery, since trusted users are using up the 3 free licenses and even more.
Are you planning to allow disabling trusted users permissions for specific products?

Like • Casey Gould likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2023

@Yogev Marom we're looking to address these issues. In the interim, we have these workarounds for site admins and trusted users:

If you just added Jira Product Discovery to your site, you'll notice that all site administrators have been given product access to the product - and consume a license. This is because whenever a site administrator adds a new Atlassian product to a site, the site-admins user group is automatically given access to this product. 

Trusted users will count as billable users by default

Yogev Marom July 17, 2023

@Rohan Swami Thanks for the fast response!
I've already read it and we are trying the workaround, but we are forced to stop the MVP in a week due to day to day work needs.
I'm asking if the permissions future development roadmap includes - disabling trusted users permissions for specific products?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2023

@Yogev Marom We are hoping to remove some of those limitations for trusted users in the future, but I can't offer a timeline for it.

Like • Yogev Marom likes this
RIZA MARIE FERMALAN
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 31, 2023

thanks for sharing

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events