Atlassian Companion App not working

Keea Raymond May 29, 2020

I used to use the companion app every day for my work flow in sharing excel and word files and editing them with my team and able to share the one file.  Opening in confluence and saving back into confluence once I was done.  Several months ago it stopped working.  Every time I go to click the edit button associated with this function, it just gives the pop up window to down load the app.  I have tried about 20 times to do this process and to no effect.  I tried to launch it on my computer, and then refresh the page in confluence.  But not working.  Can anyone help me get this going again as it is a great addition to confluence?  Much thanks, Keea 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2020

Hi @Keea Raymond ,

Which version of Confluence are you using? Which web browser are you using? 

For Confluence versions 6.11-7.2 (inclusive), Companion is no longer compatible with certain browsers. We have a knowledge base article explaining this issue:

Can’t edit files in Confluence Server using Atlassian Companion app in Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, or Safari 

This issue is fixed in Confluence 7.3+ (with Companion 1.0.0+)

Keea Raymond May 31, 2020

Well I just used Chrome instead of Safari and it worked.  Why would Confluence limit browsers for this function?  I use Safari primarily.  Thanks so much for your help.  At least now I can go to Chrome and make it work.  thanks, Keea

Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2020

@Keea Raymond ,

Sadly, this was a compromise that we had to make to resolve CVE-2019-12-18 . As of Confluence 7.3, the way Confluence and Companion connect to each other has been completely overhauled and will work in all modern browsers. 

Allie King August 18, 2021

@Alex K I am using Chrome and I am unable to get the application to work these are the versions that I have installed: 

Confluence:  7.4.3 (node4: 3c2320ca)

When I click on the document and hit edit i get a message telling me I need to install the app, though the app is installed and running. Once in a while I notice that a new version is created which tells me that the site thinks it's actually opening the file for editing 

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2020

@Keea Raymond 

If you are the Confluence System Admin, please take a look at the logs to see what error is being thrown that could be behind this misbehaviour.

Please share the errors here by copying/pasting after hiding any confidential information.

Best,

Fadoua

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events