Project Admin vs Jira Admin

Kimm Michaud August 3, 2015

I'm looking for a comprehensive listing of tasks that project admins can perform on their own projects vs a list of what only JIRA Admins can do.  Can you tell me where to find such a beast?  This would be on JIRA and JIRA Agile.

5 answers

1 vote
Stefan Mueller April 28, 2019

Hello there,
I face the same challenge but also for Confluence.

I'm mostly driven by finding a way to delegate the following to power users

1. Jira:
    1. user group management
    2. create projects
    3. manage all kind of schemes except permission schemes, to avoid that power users gain access to projects which are restricted to them
  2. Confluence
    1. manage global templates
    2. manage global blueprints
    3. user group management

It looks like many of the desired delegates are possible reading through the pages listed below. The only thing that isn't possible to have Jira power user, who can create global user groups. The only option is properly only Delegated Group Management in Jira or Group Ambassadors.
Confluence allows to delegate most of the system administrator permission, see Global Permissions Overview and Create and update groups.

1. Global Permission or Group? Clearing up confusion on JIRA Administrators

2. How to see user-group-members as a non-system-admin?

3. JIRA: How to give users permissions to create projects

4. Administering Jira: Configuring permissions

5. Administering Confluence: Manage Users -> Managing Site-Wide Permissions and Groups

6. Administering Confluence: Page Templates

7. Administering Confluence: Blueprints

8. Permission to manage users of a certain group

9. How can I delegate permission for software user to create new project without delegate him jira administrator permission?

10. Need ability to delegate permission to add users to groups

11. Users in the Administrator project Role cannot administer project, only JIRA-Admin group members can

12. confluence spaceblueprint permissions

1 vote
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2015

There are a some add-ons on the Atlassian Marketplace that will allow you to expand the functionality of the Project Administrator. Deiser's Profields is one (allows you to maintain fields in the project). We have 2: Delegated Administration for JIRA (allows selection of schemes by project administrators and maintenance of permissions and notification schemes) and Project Creator for JIRA (allows you to delegate the creation of projects to non-admin).

There are more so if you're looking at expanding capabilities of the project admins, you might want to look around (some are more enterprise friendly than others). If you're just wanting a list of what can be done right now - I would take  look to through your add ons list as well.

nidhi bala gupta August 28, 2019

Hi Daniel,

What exactly is the budget of these plugin and which team provide support to this plugin?

Thanks,

Nidhi

Ramarao Gaggara _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2019
0 votes
Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2019
0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2015

Hello Kimm,

In additional to the others responses, I'd also suggest you to check this other answer  as well.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

Project admins can maintain the list of versions, components and users in roles in their projects.  With JIRA Agile, they also get the ability to start and end sprints, and maintain boards. That's all they get over a "normal" user.

Kimm Michaud August 3, 2015

So really, in the Project Admin Summary view, Project Admins can maintain almost anything in the right-hand column but nothing in the left side?  What about notifications?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

Correct. All the stuff that is handled by "schemes" is a Jira Admin job - permissions, notifications, issue types, screens, fields, and so-on - all Jira admin stuff. I did forget one though - if a Jira admin selects "simplified workflow" for a project, then the project admins may also add/remove status from the workflow (An Agile function, can't do it in plain JIRA)

Senthilkumar August 15, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I have a requriemnt.

I have used who is taking care of the Tempo and he should have all access on tempo but he should not have Admin access.

Currently we have provided them with Administrator access and weird part is Site Admin has the same access with Administrator got , except User management.

How can i have that user to access all tempo related stuff, but should not be an Admin.

Need your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2019

You can grant Tempo admin separately to permissions in Jira, but there's only a few things Tempo admins can do - specifically administrate tempo.

Senthilkumar August 19, 2019

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , is this possible if we can mix some of  Administrator permission and to Tempo Admin permissions.

Basically, i want the user to have all Admin rights only to the project which he is added and Tempo rights for all the projects.

I highly appreciate your help...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2019

Yes, you can.  Grant Jira admin to who needs it, and Tempo administrator admin to those who need it too.

Suggest an answer