Project Admin vs Jira Admin

I'm looking for a comprehensive listing of tasks that project admins can perform on their own projects vs a list of what only JIRA Admins can do.  Can you tell me where to find such a beast?  This would be on JIRA and JIRA Agile.

3 answers

0 votes

Project admins can maintain the list of versions, components and users in roles in their projects.  With JIRA Agile, they also get the ability to start and end sprints, and maintain boards. That's all they get over a "normal" user.

So really, in the Project Admin Summary view, Project Admins can maintain almost anything in the right-hand column but nothing in the left side?  What about notifications?

Correct. All the stuff that is handled by "schemes" is a Jira Admin job - permissions, notifications, issue types, screens, fields, and so-on - all Jira admin stuff. I did forget one though - if a Jira admin selects "simplified workflow" for a project, then the project admins may also add/remove status from the workflow (An Agile function, can't do it in plain JIRA)

0 votes

There are a some add-ons on the Atlassian Marketplace that will allow you to expand the functionality of the Project Administrator. Deiser's Profields is one (allows you to maintain fields in the project). We have 2: Delegated Administration for JIRA (allows selection of schemes by project administrators and maintenance of permissions and notification schemes) and Project Creator for JIRA (allows you to delegate the creation of projects to non-admin).

There are more so if you're looking at expanding capabilities of the project admins, you might want to look around (some are more enterprise friendly than others). If you're just wanting a list of what can be done right now - I would take  look to through your add ons list as well.

0 votes
Paulo Hennig Atlassian Team Aug 03, 2015

Hello Kimm,

In additional to the others responses, I'd also suggest you to check this other answer  as well.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,797 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot