Need ability to delegate permission to add users to groups

jeremyjoeldunn March 19, 2015

Our Confluence install is used worldwide by members of our distributed non-profit organization.  There are currently over 60 spaces, and growing.  Many of the spaces have permissions restricted to various groups, which are setup by the confluence-administrator team.  That part is easy; and the space-admins can manage the space-permissions.

What the space-admins CANNOT do, as far as I can see, is add members to the groups which have access to their space.  This means that every change in group-membership must come to the attention of the confluence-admins.  It's very frequent, and tedious work.

Request the ability to designate a user as the "owner" of a group; such that they can add/remove members from the group.  Then we can make the space-admins owners of the group(s) which can access their space; and the rest is up to them.

If this feature exists either in Confluence core or in a plugin, someone please tell me - I've been unable to find it.

Otherwise if it is planned or already-requested, please reply with a link to the ticket; I cannot find that either.

Otherwise please tell me how to open a feature-request ticket.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2015

Hi Jeremy,

While searching in Atlassian features I was able to find this one: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-5302

It states to give user management permissions to space admins, although not specifically giving a specific group permission to someone.

Let me know if this feature is not what you'd like and I can create a new feature for you.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Jon Verville April 8, 2015

I agree this is a critical need for us to be able to delegate permission to space admins to manager their groups. We love Custom Space User Management Plugin, but it is not really maintained. Please Atlassian, help us out! Jon Verville, NASA Wiki manager cc @Sherif Mansour @Bill Arconati @Rodrigo Adami

1 vote
jeremyjoeldunn March 20, 2015

thanks Rodrigo.  Yes, this is the feature I was seeking.

The ticket referenced "Custom Space User Management Plugin" but the URLs in that ticket are obsolete.  the correct plugin is here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/raju.kadam.confluence.permissionmgmt  

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

Hi,
If you need to empower users and delegate group management to a set of selected users, I've recently published a plugin which might help! It's a brand new plugin so I'm really interested in feedback to give orientations to my roadmap! It's for Jira but if your gorups are fetched from Jira, might help!

You can try it out here, I'll be more than happy to improve it to suit more needs: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.caritteprod.group-ambassadors/server/overview

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events