Transitioning all Jira Cloud users to the new issue view

249 comments

Satvik Sharma October 5, 2020

I'm so happy this is finally happening, I've only had to drop down to the old issue view for a few things, 99% of the time it works great and inline edit is so much better than an edit modal.

Also super excited that Project Admins get to be in control of their projects, maybe eventually Jira admins won't have to think about configuring projects. One less thing on their plate sounds fantastic!

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2020

@Jim, thanks for your comment. I'm not 100% sure what your query is. We are currently rolling out a series of improvements to attachments in the issue view. Keep an eye out for them over the next week or so.

@Peter Fjelsten, apologies I missed the link in your original comment. At the moment the team is investigating allowing ecosystem apps to occupy a permanent position on the issue view without having to click-through to the separate glance. As we have updates we'll post in JRACLOUD-70942.

@Administrator, thank you for detailing your concerns. The Support team is constantly in contact with our product team, passing on feedback from end-users and admins. Often we first hear of issues because the Support team informs us. We acknowledge that the transition to from the old issue view to the new issue view will not be simple for every instance and as such our support team is equipped to help you make the transition.

@Kerri Simpson, you are able to create linked issues by clicking the quick-add 📎 button (detailed instructions). If you are referring to linking to issue from another Jira site, we are currently working on this and we will update JRACLOUD-74599 as we progress.

@Richard Clarke, thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on changes that will give admins more power to make better use of screen real estate. As we roll out these changes over the coming months, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

@Marie-Josee Parent, thank you for your comment. The team is currently considering the "Epic status" field and we will share updates on JRACLOUD-73469.

@Michael Spahn _misp_, thank you for letting us know. I'm assuming that you have Tempo (or a similar time-tracking application) installed? If yes, we are actively working on fixing this issue by exposing the "Remaining estimate" field when one of these applications is installed. We'll share more details as we progress on JRACLOUD-74198.

@Angelo Loria, our priorities prior to transitioning all users to the new issue view are to improve the issue layout, improve performance, and build missing features. While we will not be able to close all subtasks on JRACLOUD-70555 prior to transitioning all users to the new view, our aim is to work on the features currently blocking users and admins from adopting the new issue view.

@Mark Thompson, thank you for your feedback. We understand that the transition from the new issue view to the old issue view is not going to be simple for everyone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts around testing configuration changes before making them live and our process for rolling out changes. If you have any other feedback about the transition from the old issue view to the new issue view, we'd be grateful if you could share them.

@Ricardo Gomes, thank you for your comment. We're encouraging everyone who hasn't tried the new issue view to make the switch and give it a try before 31 March, 2021. When you've had the chance to do so I'd be grateful if you could share your feedback here.

@Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_, thanks for your questions. The number of open issues on JRACLOUD is only a small part of the decision to transition all users to the new issue view. We've taken into account qualitative data from hundreds of interviews and feedback collected from thousands of users. In addition, we've looked at our product analytics to understand how users are working with issues in Jira. Your question about values is a great one, it's one that we've discussed as a team. We understand that in the short-term this decision to transition all users to the new issue view is going to require significant change for many of our customers. Looking forward we are confident that unifying on a single issue experience is the right decision for our users.

@Meissner Ivan, thank you for your question. When we transition from the old issue view to the new issue view we will not be removing anything that currently exists in the way of configuration. Screen schemes will still work the same way that they do in product today. What we are currently investigating is how we can allow project-level layout configuration to be shared/copied between projects to make managing a configuration across many projects easier. We'll keep you updated on JRACLOUD-71630.

@Ronald Vallenduuk, thank you for going into so much detail. Currently, in the new issue view project admins are able to modify the issue layout to surface the most important fields for their use-case (docs). Prior to transitioning to the new issue view we will be giving admins even more control over the issue layout, including being able to move fields between the left and right hand sides of an issue.

@Dave Liao, thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

@James Rickards (Deloitte), thanks for passing on what your users are saying. We are actively investigating the dot menu now and plan to release an updated version before transitioning users to the new issue view, you can follow JRACLOUD-71827 for updates. Regarding wide-screen monitors, the team is looking into how we can better utilize screen real estate while keeping the issue view readable and easy to navigate. We have a change rolling out in the next few weeks which will increase the maximum width of the issue view which will help a little with this problem. Going forward we'll continue to search for ways to better use available screen space.

@Chris F, thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on solving these problems that you mentioned. Project admins will have the ability to move fields between the left and right hand sides of an issue. We are also working on bringing back tabs as they appeared in the old issue view. If you haven't had the chance to yet I'd encourage you to take a look at the issue layout configuration in the new issue view. We'll keep you updated in this post as we roll out these changes.

@Dana Frost , thanks for your comment. The project picker field will be implemented prior to transitioning to the new issue view. You can follow along with the progress on JRACLOUD-72712.

@Satvik Sharma, appreciate your comment and thank you for the support

Administrator October 6, 2020

@Matthew Canham I sort of feel the quicker response would have been to say "you can all suck eggs, you're moving to the new view like it or lump it". I guess the admins who have championed Atlassian over the years have a big decision to make before March 2021. Shame.

Kerri Simpson October 6, 2020

@Matthew Canham It is not the link via quick add its is the create linked issue from another Jira site as mentioned in  JRACLOUD-74599 we utilise this functionality daily.

Michael Spahn _misp_ October 6, 2020

@Matthew CanhamThanks for the update regarding JRACLOUD-74198. Yes we're using Tempo.

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2020

@Kerri Simpson, thank you for clarifying. We have a team that is beginning to look into introducing remote issue links. I'll keep you posted over on JRACLOUD-74599 and will have this rolled out prior to transitioning all users over to the new issue view.

@Michael Spahn _misp_, thanks for letting me know. I'll keep you posted on the ticket.

Chris F October 7, 2020

@Matthew Canhamtabs are not a resolution (while it would probably be nice for some people).

It really needs to have columns (on the left side) not tabs.

The idea is to make use of empty whitespace by displaying fields to the user straight away, not to hide fields behind tabs.

Please see attached image for my usage of space.

1. Two thin red columns on left for fields.

2. One large use of space in left column for description, images, etc.

3. Right-hand column for other fields (I use for people, voting, watching, source control, timing) - less important fields.

4. Multiple workflow actions for common workflow steps in green.

jira-layout.png

Like Ashley Renlund likes this
Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 7, 2020

@Chris F , that would be a super awesome layout to have! 
Especially if we could have manual settings for all three column sections. 

Administrator October 7, 2020

Tabs are critical for organising and displaying large numbers of fields, particularly where the workflow has a dedicated screen for a specific part of a process. For example in a risk register, there are different stages of a risk's lifecycle. The information should build on the screen as its added by whoever is responsible for that part of the process ... we have 43 fields that are impossible to manage in one long column. It's important that these stay on the main part of the screen and are organised by tab.

tabs-example.png

Tomáš Vrabec October 7, 2020

As I am reading all of your concerns and comments, I cannot help myself. I am a freelancing Atlassian Architect / Consultant. This year I migrated 3 companies from Cloud to Server. If you are interested to do that as well, do not hesitate to reach me :-) https://tvrabec.atlassian.net/l/c/k7xksiHr

Svante Jacobsen October 8, 2020

There are numerous issues with the new issue view. I'm very worried that we will have a total breakdown in our workflows. We still have not been able to test the new view because of some of the issues not fixed in 1-2 years. Do not remove &oldIssueView before everything is fixed!

And, who is designing the new views? It's very frustrating the amount of cognitive mouse clicking and scrolling you have to perform. Just to log 30 minutes on an issue - used to be <dot> L <Enter> 30 <Enter>. Have you even seen the Log work dialog or used it yourselves? No way to just enter the value, one has to click (in a certain area within the text box) and when finished Enter does not submit. You just broke the most simple of forms. And that is if you even find the Log work button, it's hidden behind the tree dots that usually resides somewhere upper right and can only be reached with the mouse? Yes, I Log work many, many times a day.

Ronald Vallenduuk October 8, 2020

Just had a developer miss part of a story because of the new Attachment view.

Old view shows all attachments in a grid. 

New view shows all attachments in a row. Kinda. Most of the row is hidden, so you have to scroll left and right to see them. But you don't know that there are more attachments because as usual there is no visual clue. Only when you hover over an attachment are the secret scroll buttons revealed.

God forbid you make something obvious, or easy to use.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2020

I just spent 15 minutes figuring out how I could update the Epic Status of an epic that was accidentally marked as done by a user.

Seems that somehow the new issue view is already forced on the cloud site of this user and that in the new issue view the Epic status field cannot be shown, even though it was on the edit screen in my classic screen configuration. After I had figured out how to revert to the old issue view, I was able to recover.

Is there an issue in the backlog to fix that @Matthew Canham ? If the field is not visible on screen, I don't see any way to fix this type of accident.

Veronica Peterson October 9, 2020

@Matthew Canham Will there be a course or any materials I can get to my team before this rollout on how to use this new view? Big concerns on rollout 

Shay Gabizon October 11, 2020

Hey @Matthew Canham

The "New Issue View" is not a user friendly display and when it first made appearance (about a year ago), I've opened a ticket to ask if we'll be forced to move to the "new issue view" at some point and the answer was "No" and that we can choose to stay with the "old view". Well, we'd like to stay with the old view!

I know you've invested a lot of time and money to this "New Issue View", but you have to understand that some companies are using different work methods on Jira and the reason for that is because Jira allows to do so and it's great. but now you're telling us to through almost all the processes we've based on the system and everything we've learn and passed on to our remote teams and to get used to this "new view".

for the past few days I'm trying the "New Issue View" and it's very unsatisfying, even after I've made modifications to try and adjust it to our needs. in addition, there's a lot of "bugs", 1 example: on issues filter view, shortcuts doesn't work ("l" for labels, "e" for Edit, "a" for Assign, Etc).

bugs or no bugs, if we can do something that will allow us to retain the "old view" after the "ultimatum date", please let me know, because we really need it for our unique method of work.

James Rickards (Deloitte) October 11, 2020

How do I stop watching this page?

I added a comment, but now my mailbox is getting bombarded by emails as other people react to this news.

Al October 11, 2020

James, just go to the first page of the comments, there is a "Watching" button, right at the top.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Transitioning-all-Jira-Cloud-users-to-the-new-issue-view/ba-p/1494104

image.png

Mark Thompson October 12, 2020

@Matthew Canham echo @Shay Gabizon comments.  I've also been told we will never be forced to Next Gen.  I'd like to know if that was a lie as well.  

We spent lots of times integrating with Jira.  I'll tell you another thing.  NEVER had this problem with rational + they had a built in test environment and it could be highly customized over 10 years ago.  Jira seems to be going in the opposite direction.  I think your PM's are targeting small companies that have more of a wild west development strategy.  Big companies don't.  Stability and control are preferred when you have lots of projects.  I'm just wondering when the Admins are going to be listened to.  I've posted, I've sent feedback, and created tickets.  Rarely has anything been fixed.  All I get are workarounds.  

Ronald Vallenduuk October 12, 2020

@Mark Thompson: The answer is probably never. I've given up. Atlassian just don't care about what serious long term customers want. Maybe it's complacency, thinking we're too invested to walk.

All they care about is superficial looks (not even proper UX or usability) and getting startups on board.

Mark Thompson October 12, 2020

@Ronald Vallenduuk Move to server.  Cloud is the problem.  I'm to the point where I'm going to actively request to go to a server implementation or switch to a different tool.  Cloud is not really a good option.

Ricardo Gomes October 12, 2020

Since we've been told we have to swallow this change, then the checkmate question here becomes this -

@Matthew Canham - can you guarantee that all of your Atlassian Cloud users using Jira will have 0 (zero) loss of functionality with the new view even though we dislike it?

Can you guarantee that?

If your answer is "no" or starts with "not quite" then moving to the new view can't be forced.

Simply because in that case you're violating our trust - you've gained us as a customer because of product A, and now you're giving us product B.

Joe October 13, 2020

NO, NO, NO. Do NOT do this. 

Jacob October 13, 2020

This will break the "workaround" for JRACLOUD-69876, an issue that has seemingly been ignored for over two years. Will this now be reprioritised and resolved?

Gus Reed October 14, 2020

Like Jacob, the prospect of no longer having the old view available for workaround for the dot shortcuts is a blocker for me and my team.

@Matthew Canham it would be reassuring to know that this was on the list to fix before the new view is rolled out.

Christophe Noualhat October 14, 2020

We use the old view when we need to make updates in the remaining estimate as there is no other way to update this field (we use tempo). What is the alternative once the old view is not accessible anymore ?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events