Transitioning all Jira Cloud users to the new issue view

249 comments

Svante Jacobsen October 15, 2020

Been testing the new issue view for a few days and it's clear it's not a replacement for the old one.

In the old issue view I had full control of hours spent in the task itself as well a sub tasks.
Now, hours are displayed as e.g. 4w 5d 3h 30m (which is hard to relate to the e.g. 158h cap on the task) and does this include subtasks, and how many hours has been spent on each sub task, it's not very clear? 

Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 15, 2020

Wow, haven't noticed that before: 

shot_201015_180858.png

Why would you need this huge gaps?.. it's simply hard to make a visual connection between the caption and filed value. 

And have you tried this caption text size on people that don't have perfect vision?.. Unreadable. 

It used to be small CAPS on top of the field value. Easy to read and compact. Now it's both small and lower case with a HUGE gape. 

Why? Why are you doing this to us? Please get back your previous designers. 

Adam Demjen October 15, 2020

Hi @Matthew Canham , the rollout will extend the new editor UX to the Create issue screen, right? For our account that screen still uses the old editor:

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 14.48.37.png

Whereas any other screen is more WYSIWYG:

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 14.49.09.png

Vladimir Dedovich October 20, 2020

Hi, I'll comment about a few issues our team has with new jira issue view, I understand there probably exists bug issues on some of described points bellow, but still.

* Problem with viewing wiki style render custom fields. You can see the difference old vs new. Field Epic is our custom field, a link with filled color, in new view it's just code. Fields Deal and CompanyKey don't even render.

s1.png
* We have some custom fields which are hidden on View screen, but you can change values there in Edit view. It's not the case with new jira view, you can't access fields on Edit screen.

* Empty fields are still visible. Some of our issue types have 15+ fields and when they are empty, you just see a column of empty fields on the right.

* When you group multiple fields under tabs, in new view they are displayed pretty poorly.
* In current view when you want to save Description you can just click away anywhere. In new view you actually have to click Save button.
* Links are inactive in custom fields (old vs new on screenshot). Same when you browse issue history.

s4.png
* Sorting is gone when browsing issue history.
* No more quick-close issue buttons. Example: 3-star button automatically closes issue with 3-star feedback and puts resolution -> success. It was created so our users could close issues with one click. In new view all status transitions are in a list.

s5.png
* Assign button is gone.

s6.png
* "Today" button is gone in mini-calendar in fields like Due date.

s7.png

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2020

@Kerri Simpson, I just realised that there's a better link to refer you to for linking issues from a remote site: JRACLOUD-70833.

@Chris F, thank you so much for taking the time to walk us though what you need from the issue view in Jira. Early next week we are going to release a design concept detailing where we are planning on taking the issue layout in the coming months. We'll post the updates here and I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts.

@Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_, thank you for your detailed post. See my response above to @chris, it would also be great to hear your thoughts early next week when we release the design concepts.

@Administrator, thank you for detailing how tabs are useful for your workflow. I can definitely see how tabs prevent the need from scrolling through long lists of fields. Early next week we are going to release a design concept showing, amongst other things, how we plan on bring tabs back to the new issue view, out of glances. Keep an eye out for those and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

@Svante Jacobsen, thank you for taking the time to let us know what you need from the new issue view. You mentioned using the dot "." menu in the new issue view, we are currently working on bringing back the full-functional dot menu and you can follow our progress on JRACLOUD-71827.

@Ronald Vallenduuk, attachments is something that we've been working on in the new issue view over the past few months. Just this week we released a new attachments list view which we are confident will solve usability problems such as the one you've encountered. You can switch to the list view using the three dot menu at the top-right of the attachments section. If you get a chance to try it out, please share any feedback.

@Walter Buggenhout, we are currently looking into bringing back the epic status to the new issue view. You can track our progress and follow updates specific to this over onJRACLOUD-73469.

@Veronica Peterson, thank you for your question. There are a few things that we are currently working on to make the transition to the new issue view as smooth as possible for your users. You may find the "What is the new Jira issue view?" support article to be a useful resource. We are also currently building a new guided onboarding for users when they first make the switch to the new issue view and we are creating a video to walk though some of the key new features in the new issue view as part of our Demo Den series.

@Shay Gabizon, thank you for getting in touch. I really appreciate you walking me though some of the bugs that you've encountered. Aside from those, are there any specific things missing from the new issue view that are preventing you from brining your unique method of work over?

@Mark Thompson, thank you for your comments. Over the next few months we are going to be releasing a range of new layout and workflow options in the new issue view, specifically for admins. We are going to be releasing a design concept early next week and I'd be really grateful if you could share feedback on this once we've added the information to this announcement.

@Ricardo Gomes, thank you for bringing this up. Early next week we are going to post an update to this announcement which will show a design concept for changes that we plan to make to the new issue view over the next few months. While we completely understand that there are differences between the new and old issue views, our aim is to provide admins with powerful tools to configure the new issue view in a way that is right for their teams. Are there any specific features that come to mind that are missing from the new issue view? If there are I'd be happy to let you know what's in progress and where you can follow for updates.

@[deleted] and @Gus Reed, thanks for mentioning the dot "." menu. Great news, we are currently working on fixing this and bringing back the fully-functional menu. You can follow JRACLOUD-69876 for updates.

@Christophe Noualhat, we are currently working on showing the Remaining Estimate field when time tracking apps (such as Tempo) are enabled. You can follow JRACLOUD-74198 for updates. Thanks for reaching out.

@Svante Jacobsen, thank you for trying out the new issue view and reaching out. We are looking into the issues you described with logging time. Time tracking is an area that we are currently working on. In particular, we are currently working on rolling up subtask estimates into parent estimates. As we work on this you can track the progress on JRACLOUD-70150.

@Adam Demjen, we have a team working on updating the create issue screen to use modern components, such as the new Atlassian Editor. However, the old create issue screen will remain for a period of time after transitioning all users to the new issue view. Thanks for your question.

@Vladimir Dedovich, thank you so much for the detailed comment. There's a lot in here but let me try and unpack some of this and link you to any relevant JRACLOUD tickets where possible. Also, we will be adding a design concept to this page early next week which I'd really appreciate your feedback on. The concepts are closely related to some of the issues you've bought up in relation to the layout of the new issue view.

As you've picked up we are not currently supporting rich-text editing in single-line text fields. Without understanding your entire use-case, you might be able to make use of multi-line text fields (which do support rich-text editing) or issue links. We are working on bringing tabs back to the new issue view how they were in the old view (more in the design concepts next week). We are developing the ability to sort the Activity section of an issue (including History), more info on JRACLOUD-73076. We are bringing back global loop transitions which should allow you to have your quick-close buttons, more info on JRACLOUD-72667.

Kerri Simpson October 23, 2020

@Matthew Canham in reply to your comment - , I just realised that there's a better link to refer you to for linking issues from a remote site: JRACLOUD-70833.

This only creates a sub task of the service desk request we need to create a linked issue in order to get the request to the right team kanban board

Create Sub Task

Sub Task.jpg

Create Linked Issue

Create Linked Issue.jpgDo you see the difference?

Peter Fjelsten October 23, 2020

@Matthew Canham , this case https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74198  only pertains to showing remaining estimate from Tempo. The case I referred to in my previous comment, expressed the need to show all tempo info on default without needing extra clicks.

Will this be done before forcing everyone to the new view? 

Christophe Noualhat October 23, 2020

@Matthew Canham thank you !!

Adam Demjen October 23, 2020

Thanks @Matthew Canham !

Svante Jacobsen October 26, 2020

Time tracking is showing weeks and days - I need to see total HOURS and not do near impossible head calculations every time.

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2020

@Kerri SimpsonJRACLOUD-70833 is the ticket that we will update as we progress with delivering this feature to the new issue view.

@Peter Fjelsten, we are talking with the team at Tempo (and other Ecosystem Partners) about how we can achieve this. We will keep you updated on JRACLOUD-72556.

@Svante Jacobsen, you can track our progress on the issue that you mentioned with time settings on JRACLOUD-69810. Thanks for bringing this up.

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2020

Hi everyone,

We have updated the post with a design concept to share some key features that are currently in development. Take a look and let me know what you think.

The design concept only highlights a few improvement that we are bringing to the new issue view. You can track progress on specific features by watching linked issues on JRACLOUD-70555Any issue marked as “in progress” will be completed prior to transitioning to the new issue view.

Kind regards,

Matt

Peter Fjelsten October 27, 2020

@Matthew Canham , so what you're saying is that JRACLOUD-70942 will not be fixed (since it has status: Open) - although it has many votes. Also, it's not even linked to the overall New Issue View issue that you appratently use for tracking! 

The other issue - you linked to but is related but with far fewer votes - JRACLOUD-72556 - also has the state opened, so this will not be fixed either?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2020

Most of this is great, but there is one lingering concern, and that is having an editable field that is not on the view screen in the absence of a separate edit screen. 

I assume the "edit screen" is still being kept to ensure some fields but not all are editable, but this is more of a holdover - new users will wonder why they are configuring a screen they will never use.

Ricardo Gomes October 27, 2020

@Matthew Canham ,

It sounds like the tickets in OPEN status will not be addressed prior to the transition, am I correct?

So the plan is to force everyone to use the new view with 79 OPEN tickets?

If you think about it, 79 is nothing compared to the number of tickets to come once everyone is forced to use the new view (the only reason you're not getting more bugs is simply because the majority of advanced users are still using the old view).

Also, I asked a little while ago if Atlassian was able to guarantee the same level of functionality that we have with the old view on the new view. I never got an answer but your statement makes it clear now that the answer is NO (there's 79+ issues that we'll all have to swallow).

Thanks.

Speechless Atlassian Customer

Jeanne Howe October 27, 2020

@Ricardo Gomes @Matthew Canham 

There will be 79+ open issues, but let's not forget all the issues that were resolved with the "Wont Do" resolution. This brings the 79+ issues to a much higher number.

Ricardo Gomes October 27, 2020

Good point, @Jeanne Howe,

That's why I believe this is a huge mistake.

Mark Thompson October 27, 2020

Killing new server licenses as well in Feb 2021?  Giving us zero options.  Can't even go to server to avoid this which is what I was probably going to do.  

Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2020

@Matthew Canham thank you for the concept update!

It looks better than what we have now. At least, no more tiny font size for dates, and headers are big enough to read comfortably.

Several things that bug me though:

1. frames for sections. Why?.. Header as is or in CAPS would be enough to have distinct blocks.

2. Why action buttons are so far away? 

image.png 
Wouldn't it be much better to have them right next to the header?

3. Some funky alignment here:

image.png

4. Time tracking section. How it would look like?

G October 30, 2020

Hey @Matthew Canham , thanks for the update and this is great news!  Lots of haters here so I just wanted to give you some positive feedback.  Will the full switch make the issues load faster and bring other performance gains?  I'm assuming it will (not having to maintain the old clunky codebase).  Think we could speed up the replacement of the create/transition screens to happen shortly before or after March 2021?

I was a huge hater back 2 years ago when the view landed on our instance for full detail view and there being no way for Admins to turn it off for everyone.  And also, it has been very painful because there are legitimate bugs and missing functionality that lost resources due to this.  But, now we are starting to get to a better place with some good features being delivered.  I really appreciate that a lot of these critical subtasks are being moved in progress and action is being taken to get us to a better state.  I appreciate you stepping into this to take the heat (and I think you might not have even been on this when the forced shift on individual profiles happened).  And I think once we get through this period of pain, the new infrastructure will help fix some of those other problems.  I am going to be optimistic and think that after we kill the monolithic stuff, we can shorten the cycle times (although not sure I agree with all of the changes to simplify... maybe we can sneak in some additional real feature upgrades).

There are a few more things that need to get fixed before our users can make the switch and as a long-time admin with crazy customized processes, I do desire feature parity.... but honestly I use the New Issue View almost all the time now myself (that is because I was lucky enough to build a ton a projects into Jira Service Desk and hack together fake request types so that critical details are on the left side... luckily that is being fixed soon for software/business).  Fellow admins, you need to do a lot with the setup, but you can get the view into a great place and you'll find that you like a lot of the newer features.  And believe me, I use almost every feature of classic Jira in some capacity along with a lot of custom integrations (so don't just think that I'm a noob that doesn't understand the back-end).

Honestly, though, the only reason that I use the Old View is when I need a prior feature that doesn't exist (I know, I know, there are more of these than we like right now).  The old view actually is a really outdated view that is clunky and has information overload (it just has more features right now).  I despise going into my Data Center instance these days and Cloud just keeps getting better (probably poking the bear on this since I don't like Server at all).  Hopefully we can all keep giving feedback and getting this new view into a good place.  Please don't ever force Next Gen on us (it is a nice option to have for some use-cases, but not the majority of people).

I encourage all of you not to panic yet.... March 2021 is still a while from now.  Proceed to panic in February, haha.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

"Proceed to panic" is delightful. Can I use that as a domain?

G October 30, 2020

Yup, my realm is actually website services (helping entrepreneurs with their full internet presence through Websites + Marketing)... but yes, proceedtopanic is available as a domain and you should go grab it up.

Stay strong everyone.  New issue view is only getting better every day!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Julia Foden November 2, 2020

Will JRACLOUD-74233 be fixed before transitioning to the new view? The ability to disable custom field values is essential. 

edgymitten November 3, 2020

Very nervous - Absolutely we need tabs to return, and complete control of the order of custom fields displayed so they can be presented in our logical order; otherwise our use of it needs to instantly move from Atlassian to a different platform as it is unusable in the new view today.  We use Jira for a complex custom app that manages all our incoming IT demand.  If you could give us the ability to suppress display of core fields we don't use that would be even better.  

edgymitten November 3, 2020

PS. We also use the edit screen after creation to enter values when known for custom fields on tabs that are not displaying because the tab has no values yet, and to minimise the number of notifications from entering field values individually.   Are we going to lose the ability to access those custom fields?  We have hundreds of historical issues recording governance history I am concerned we will not be able to update.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events