Transitioning all Jira Cloud users to the new issue view

249 comments

Ran Lavi October 1, 2020

For our Cloud customers there is a BIG showstopper in transitioning to new issue view: the Global Transition MUST be supported (currently it is not, refer to JRACLOUD-72152).

I talked about it with the Cloud product manager (Matthew Canham).
Please confirm here that this is going to be addressed, otherwise it will become a showstopper for our customers that use global Transitions.

(We use global transitions a lot together with script runner to activate all kinds of scripts).

Marc Zampetti October 1, 2020

How about just simply poor planning and communication about this change. Your timeline is:

October 2020 - Notify all users of the old view that it is changing and they will have to switch by March 2021.

Sometime after October 2020, notify Admins how to disable the messages about the old view moving, in case you want to plan it yourself or prepare your user base for the change.

But wait! You already told all the old users its changing and they have to move, without providing any more details. So now my helpdesk is flooded with calls asking how to change it and what to do and where is X or Y because they already changed it and cannot find the feature they need because its not implemented yet!

I cannot help but think this was a calculated plan to get end users to migrate and thus not have to "worry" about the admins who what to look out for their users and plan this out.

Like everyone else on this thread, it is clear that Atlassian is not interested in anything but the basic business user and they are actively abandoning the software developer base that they built their business on.

Vando Goncalves _e-Core_ October 1, 2020

Hey guys!

Not the best news I've seen but, let's be positive.

One concern/issue I have: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72667

I see that it's still open. Any idea if this will be addressed before the move?

Grzegorz Tańczyk {Appfire} October 1, 2020

That's a bold decision! Please don't forget about ecosystem!

One of problems which I have now is the fact that I cannot open issue view from our app, there is a 5 year old feature request for this.

Thanks!

Courtney Miles October 1, 2020

I like the new issue view, but I hate that when creating an issue, it's still effectively the old view with old markdown syntax.

So I have to use two different syntax's depending on if I'm creating an issue or editing an issue.

Are changes to bring issue creation in line with issue view still coming?  Or is there some setting I'm overlooking that would switch issue creation to the new format?

Charles Vickers October 1, 2020

I have not read any of the comments but I must say that this news has literally ruined my day!

That view that you are talking about here is horrible for REAL sophisticated users of Jira. This is the "Jira Labs" that I have had to go around my entire organization and ask people to turn it off from their profiles just so that I can properly instruct them on how to update their tickets. 

If you are now going to force everyone to use this view instead of giving us the option, then I may seriously have to talk my company into possibly moving away from Jira to something else with a UX that is more intuitive and configurable.

I have been a power super admin user of Jira for the last 10 years. Other than the Priority Schemes feature not being implemented for the Jira Cloud version, this new issue view release news is the most depressing news I have heard from Atlassian to date.

Listen carefully Atlassian, If you keep trying to dumb down your software so that even the most disengaged, disorganized, non-learning, entitled, green behind the ears freshman can use it without trying to learn about why it adds value to an organization, then your whole feature roadmap will be a race to bottom. And that's where people will find Jira in couple years, no matter how cheap it is relative to its competition. Because real admins will tell their organization "Sure, you can get it because it's cheap. But you will get what you paid for! A bottom feeding product." Please forgive me for my original typos. I just wanted to get this comment out there in hopes that it may get Atlassian to reconsider this release.

Ricardo Gomes October 1, 2020

Always the same feedback from people who don't really know about all the functionality and configurability that we'll be loosing with this change: "Oh, I kinda like the new view... blah blah blah".

The gist is - for basic users who are only seeing the shell of this change and think it's mostly UI changes, of course you're "OK" with the new view. But you gotta understand there's a lot of loss in terms of how things are configured and customized under the covers, which translates into a huge amount of frustration.

Again, can Atlassian guarantee 100% that "all" that can be done through the old UI will be possible to do through the new UI? Answer is simple, no! First because the amount of tech debt, bugs, missing features is huge. Secondly, simply because it's not just a "new view" change as stated. That's actually misleading because the changes Atlassian is making introducing the new view are much more significant on the backend of things.

If the answer to the above question were a "yes" from Atlassian, I'd have no problem moving to the so-called "new view".

Cat W October 1, 2020

@Matthew Canham I also would like to know if JRACLOUD-72667 and JRACLOUD-70203 are going to be addressed before forcing this move.

We rely on "All" transitions heavily or entirely in some workflows, as well as the "Any status to Itself" and other loop transitions; having transitions missing, or being unable to use separate transitions (with different workflow functions) to a single destination status (because only the destination status is visible) is a major reason why many of our users won't switch to the new issue view, including myself.

Forcing everyone over before resolving these deficiencies will cripple some of our processes and increase overhead for our teams. This is problematic when one of our primary functions is to help teams reduce overhead so they can focus on their work.

Walter Lee October 1, 2020

How about JSWCLOUD-17107

This originated from a discussion here, and the workaround given was to "use the old view":

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/quot-View-on-Board-quot-on-the-new-Jira-issue-view/qaq-p/885048

Abbas Dar October 1, 2020

I for one, along with others 'hate' the new view. What's wrong with the existing one? Customers already love the existing view and are really used to it. Seriously, it doesn't need changing. Revert this change and throw it in the bin.

Tech Team October 1, 2020

Great !

Thanks 

James Haggerty October 1, 2020

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72173 (and related things) are super annoying for me. Mostly the '.', which brings up the search box but there's nothing to search for...

Peter Natale October 1, 2020

@Matthew Canham  If you make me leave the old issue view without fixing https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69567 and JRACLOUD-70150  i am leaving Jira.

I will add more to this list, but in the meantime i have a real job to do. I shouldnt have to take the time to tell you which of the 14000 bugs you have ignored for 5+ years you should have to fix if you really believe in your own company values.

kraietska October 1, 2020

Will the plain text edit be still supported? The last time I tried your new view with its "fancy" way of text styling it was terrible - adding all these extra spaces here and there is extremely frustrating and not very usable. 

Scott McKinnon October 1, 2020

Hi Mathew,

I'm concerned to hear this.

I dont use the new view at all, because I cant get to the tabs area which is where I enter all the relevant information.

When I click on the edit tab from the old view, I get these tabs

image.png(Note by Atlassian Team: blurred out email addresses in screenshot)

Will these be available in the new view by the team the old view is turned off.

If not, then we have a major issue and will have to find another tool to manage our change process.

Can you please let me know

Scott

Al October 1, 2020

I am interested in the same as Courtney Miles.

I like the new issue view, but I hate that when creating an issue, it's still effectively the old view with old markdown syntax.

Is this going to be addressed before the move? Is there a public ticket for this work?

Cheers

Courtney Miles October 1, 2020

@Al 

I am interested in the same as Courtney Miles.

> I like the new issue view, but I hate that when creating an issue, it's still effectively the old view with old markdown syntax.

Is this going to be addressed before the move? Is there a public ticket for this work?

I think I found the open ticket for this -- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71890

Ilan Boock October 1, 2020

Did anyone at Atlassian look at comments from users?

The new view is not good.

THis is a really bad business decision.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/how-do-i-turn-off-new-issue-view-globally-for-my-Jira-instance/qaq-p/716851

Drew Cottrell October 1, 2020

@Matthew Canham I don't want to say "I told you so" but the comments forced my hand.

Please let us know when you officially delay removing access for best issue view.

Oh sorry, legacy issue view.

I'm ready to burn my Atlassian Certifications in protest.  Especially after you so mishandled response with how screen configurations interact with issue layout, you appear to be clueless and so out of touch it's hard to imagine another customer interview would do any good.

Administrator October 1, 2020

I totally agree with Charles Vickers. My heart sank when I read this. We have spent hours giving demos of our system to the JIRA product teams to help them understand the impact of these changes - and to have this announcement come out before any of the critical UI issues have been addressed is gut-wrenching. Our implementation has been highly configured to be fit-for-purpose and has been described as best-in-class across our industry. Our users have struggled so badly with the new issue view that we had to publish a procedure on how to switch back so we could ease up the number of help requests on our support team. We are struggling to help our users as we're finding the new issue view is so poorly designed that even we have difficulty navigating it.

AN EXAMPLE

Here's a very simple example of something we have setup ... we built a leave register that allows users to 'create a leave request' and on submit it goes to their manager for approval. The status changes to "pending approval". The old view allows the manager to select from the buttons to "approve" or "reject" and then the relevant screen appears with custom fields to help record the date of approval or reason for rejection. The statuses then reflect "approved" which automatically is assigned to our payroll team - or "rejected" which sends an email to the user to let them know the leave request was rejected. In the new view - the manager can now only see the status "pending approval" with no option to approve or reject. It's not obvious that they have to click on "pending approval" to see a list of dropdown options before they can change it. At the time the manager goes in to review the request - the old view only shows the fields that are relevant to the request at that time, which were filled out at the time the user created the request, which is enough information to make a decision to approve or reject the leave request. The new view shows all fields that are relevant to the entire life of the leave request - meaning that the manager now sees all of the approval and rejection fields on one screen, and worse still, all of the empty payroll fields. So now the manager is confused as they can't change the status and they are presented with fields to capture the approval date, reason for rejection and payroll due date all in one list (along with 20+ other fields). If they set the payroll due date to a random date, the filters we have setup on the "Payroll Dashboard" will no longer work. Once an approved leave request has the status "pending payroll" it is automatically assigned to the payroll team to check whether the user wants their leave payment upfront or as the normal pay cycle (but this won't happen if the manager couldn't work out how to transition the status and instead just updated the fields on the main screen). When the payroll team goes into the new view - they now see all of the fields for the entire leave register, and if they don't know to click on the "pending payroll" status, they won't get the "process payroll" screen that only has the fields that are relevant to their role in the process. So they now have to scroll down a list of 20+ fields to try and work out which ones they are meant to update. If they miss one or overwrite an approval field, the filters break, the notifications break, the dashboards break, the procedures break - and the overall process fails.

In short - the new issue view completely messes up one of our more simple processes and the impact across our organisation is likely to bring the leave system to a grinding halt. Did I mention that my heart sank when I read this announcement?

I have not read any of the comments but I must say that this news has literally ruined my day!

That view that you are talking about here is horrible for REAL sophisticated users or Jira. This is the "Jira Labs" that I have had to go around my entire organization and ask people to turn it off from their profiles just so that I can properly instruct them on how to update their tickets. 

If you are now going to force everyone to use this view instead of giving us the option then I may seriously have to talk my company into possibly moving away from Jira to something else with a UX that is more intuitive and configurable.

I have been a power super admin user of Jira for the last 10 years. Other than the Priority Schemes feature not being implemented for the Jira Cloud version, this new issue view release news is the most depressing news I have heard from Atlassian to date.

Listen carefully Atlassian, If you keep trying to dumb down your software so that even the most disengaged, disorganized, non-learning, entitled, green behind the ears freshman can use it without trying to learn about why it adds value to an organization, then your whole feature roadmap will be a race to bottom. And that's where people will Jira in couple years no matter how cheap it is relative to it's competition. Because real admins will tell their organization "Sure, you can get because it's cheap. But you will get what you paid for! A bottom feeding product."

Sergey vc October 1, 2020

That's aweful news! Let me "dislike" that 😡. Are you reading feedbacks from administrators of Jira? Perhaps that's great news for users but they don't see the back-end of Jira setting and necessity of some old-view details

Laëtitia Montrichard October 1, 2020

Hello, I agree with the first comment : " This is really upsetting I'll open a support ticket to complain but the new issue view is not at parity yet and without https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-71630 yo....". 

the old view was more convenient for scale organization, we have all informations we need that's not right in the new view. That's a pity.

Fabian October 1, 2020

I would suggest everyone voicing their concern here to also open a new support request for every single issue described and encountered.

When Atlassian suddenly sees a huge spike in bugs und UI inconsistencies and missing features in their new issue (view) they will probably have to reconsider their timeline for switching off the full featured (old) view.

Peter Fjelsten October 1, 2020

Hello

This is exactly the same story as the new editor for Confluence.

Atlassian possibly have some architectural issues with their existing code and in the guise of "better!", they'll introduce new functionality to fix these old issues. I acknowledge that sometimes you need to fix things, but exactly as with Confluence, the new "better!" functionality is actually much worse for a number of users that feel that all the time they've invested into Jira/Confluence is out the window.

We're a consultancy and cannot live with the fact that we manually need to click on a Open Tempo link each and every time we open an issue in order to actually see the amount of time registered (= what we sell as a product).

I am not even talking about the enormous amount of wasted whitespace in the UI - which may be appealing to newbies - that that leaves a right column 2000 px long in order to actually display the custom fields you want to see. It's seem like Atlassian is moving from the power user to the Trello user route. Soon, we'll have the functionality level of Basecamp with the associated bill of enterprise PPM solutions!

I am getting fed up with the new so-called "better" features when clearly, for a number of users, they're not! Let us keep the old view until you have fixed the immense degradation that is the new issue view.

Maja Vallin October 1, 2020

Does this effect my team if we use a new generation project?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events