Transitioning all Jira Cloud users to the new issue view

249 comments

Matthew Canham
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2020

@Walter Buggenhout, thank you for your question about editing the resolution field. As you have identified we have best practices when using the resolution field. We have not currently settled on a design at this point but we will be sure to incorporate the appropriate guard-rails to prevent the field from being edited when it shouldn't. As we progress we'll keep users updated on JRACLOUD-69556.

Let me address your concerns around screen configuration. The view, edit, and create screens can still be used to share configuration between multiple projects in the new issue view. The create screen will define what is available in the create issue view. The view screen will define what fields are shown on the new issue view. And the edit screen defines whether a field on the new issue view is editable or read-only. You will find more information in our documentation. I'd also recommend reaching out to support to talk through your specific configuration and the transition to the new issue view.

Finally, JRACLOUD-71630 is an issue that we plan on addressing prior to the transition to the new issue view.

@Tomáš Vrabec, thank you so much for your input. JRACLOUD-70150 is currently being worked on by our team, keep an eye on the ticket for updates. I'd be interested to hear what other issues you are seeing as blockers to your customers adopting the new view.

@Scott Buchanan, thanks for raising this issue. We'll look to prioritize this against our other features and bug fixes prior to the transition. On the ticket there is a workaround detailed which may help in the short term.

@Paul Da Silva, thank you for sharing your concerns. The team is working hard to allow the new issue view to handle larger volumes of custom fields. First up we are going to be working on allowing custom fields to be moved between the left and right hand sides of an issue (JRACLOUD-71075) and soon we are planning on bringing tabs back to the new issue view, similar to how they were in the old issue view.

@Ran Lavi and @Vando Goncalves _e-Core_, thank you for bringing this up. Our team is currently testing designs for supporting global loop transitions in the new issue view. Please follow JRACLOUD-72667 for updates as we progress. We will address global transitions prior to transitioning all users to the new issue view.

@Grzegorz Tańczyk {Appfire}, thank you so much for your comment. Our team is frequently in touch with ecosystem vendors and we want to make this transition as smooth as possible for you. Our team is actively investigating the feature request you linked.

@Courtney Miles and @Al, you are not alone here, users tell us that they don't like the split experience between the create issue screen and the new issue view. We are working on improving the create issue experience, however these changes are separate to the transition of all users to the new issue view. When we move all users to the new issue view, the current create issue screen will remain.

@Cat W, we will be addressing JRACLOUD-72667 prior to transitioning all users to the new issue view. Our team is actively investigating JRACLOUD-70203, please keep an eye on the ticket for updates.

@Walter Lee, thank you for you for bringing up JSWCLOUD-17107. I'm interested in what parts of the Agile Panel you use most frequently in the old view. In particular, is the "Go to board" button something that you would use frequently?

@James Haggerty, we know that keyboard shortcuts and the dot [.] menu are really important for many Jira users. We are currently working to improve the dot [.] menu and will update JRACLOUD-72173 when we have more to share.

@Peter Natale, appreciate you linking the most pressing issues for you. JRACLOUD-70150 is currently being worked on by our team. We'll keep the ticket updated as we progress. We are investigating JRACLOUD-69567 too, so keep an eye on the ticket.

@kraietska, thank you for raising this. As we look to standardize the editing experience across Atlassian we do not have plans to support a pure plain-text editing experience in the new issue view at this point.

@Scott McKinnon, thanks for bringing this up, we know how important tabs are to managing many custom fields. I can confirm that we are going to be bringing back tabs to the new issue view and they will look similar to how they appear in the old issue view. We'll share more details as we finalize designs and begin development.

@Administrator (sorry I couldn't find your tag in the long list of names), thank you for providing such a detailed description of why the new issue view is impeding the workflow that you described. As we launch new features to address the scalability of the issue layout, such as tabs (similar to how they appeared in the old issue view), the issue view will become more flexible and may support your unique use case. I understand that it's much more complicated that that though, to discuss the specific details of your workflow and the transition to the new issue view I'm going to recommend reaching out to Atlassian Support.

@Laëtitia Montrichard, we appreciate your feedback, thank you. Our plan is to work on the functionality to share layout configuration between projects. Keep an eye on JRACLOUD-71630 for updates.

@Maja Vallin, the new issue view is the only view available in Next-gen projects, so you will not be affected. Thanks for your question.

Igor Totic October 2, 2020

I wouldn't care so much if you guys were not killing the server version slowly but steadily. You've implemented mandatory cloud rules for partners and now force upon us on this "new" view. Literally all of our clients demanded that we configure their Jira with the old issue view. 

This is terrible news. 

Jim October 2, 2020

Attached fien in mailgenerated issues are not available to link i comments.

Without being able to revert to the old layout there's no workaropund to this BUT UPLOADING THE FILE AGAIN!

It is not yet fixed. Please keep the option t revert until this is fixed

Al October 2, 2020

Thanks @Courtney Miles ! Voted and watching 🤞

Administrator October 2, 2020

@Matthew Canham thanks for your suggestion to reach out to Atlassian Support to discuss the specific details of our implementation. It shows how the feedback channels between Atlassian Support > Atlassian Product Team > Atlassian Product Manager are clearly not working!

The first time I raised our concerns relating to the new issue view with Atlassian Support was on 13 August 2018 - yes 2018. I was told "we appreciate the feedback about the new issue view. We will forward the feedback to the product team."  As the product manager, if you're not already aware of this feedback, it suggests the product team either hasn't understood its significance - or more likely doesn't care.

After over 12 months of not getting anywhere, on 9 October 2019 I was invited by the Atlassian Research Team to present the specifics of our implementation which ran for a number of hours and I was asked to allow the session to be recorded for training purposes. The audience was the Atlassian design and development teams and the purpose was to "share the user experiences of Jira changes with the Jira design and development teams"

So now we're in October 2020 and your suggestion is to reach out to Atlassian Support - seriously, why???

Nazeeruddin Mohammed October 2, 2020

Hi @Matthew Canham 

Hope you are doing well,

Firstly Its a bad news - You are making It difficult to others.

Moving forcefully to New Jira Issue view is a bad Idea, In our organisation I handle many teams and from everyone I hada bad review about New Jira issue view, we circulated emails of steps to change in old view, Not sure what makes you to decide to make forcefully to change it everyone.

I request you to keep old view as it is and Its user wish weather to change it or not.

If It's not possible then send another email we moving to new view as we don't listen to customers. so we then plan to move out from Jira. 

Regards

Naz

Kerri Simpson October 2, 2020

Hi, We currently use the old view to created linked issues will this still be available once transitioned over? If not how & were do we create linked issues?

Richard Clarke October 2, 2020

This is very bad news! We mostly use the Old View, because it allows us to put alot of data into 1 screen.  There is way way too much white space in the new view.

we have alot of custom fields, we display, and therefore we need to use the screen real estate as much as possible.

I think its unfair that you are forcing people to move to the new view.  I believe that what you really should have is varying screens, so that the customer can choose the layouts which suite them the best.  Forcing people into this type of change, where they use most of their days work - is not going to go down well for atlassian.

Sorry to say, but this is a no no from me  :-(

Marie-Josee Parent October 2, 2020

if you can guarantee that we will find all the features and fields we lots (epic status for example) in the new view before the migration I think it would have swallowed the pill. We created requests but according to the votes was done or not. It doesn't make sense, we lost some features with the new view, who are you to judge people's needs only by votes. I understand that they are not all number 1 priority, but how long have you been working on this, some requests have been open for more than 2 years and it's still not fixed. A field is not useful for everyone and that's normal, but a field like epic status, it's important everything is linked with this field ! Anyway, hopefully you'll fix a lot of things before March 2021.

we were  fine finally in the server

Michael Spahn _misp_ October 2, 2020
Angelo Loria October 2, 2020

Do you plan on finishing the 197 subtasks before the rollout? It's been frustrating having this unfinished New Issue View pushed on us for two years.

Spiderman October 2, 2020

Change is good.
Therefore I hope for a speedy implementation of the 'new-new-view' in which all the issues of this 'new-view' are repaired. I support most, if not all, of the comments above.

Ricardo Gomes October 2, 2020

Do we look like clowns??

How can you force people into a replacement that does not have the same functionality as the current one?

It's like you bought a car, spent years remodeling, custom rims, engine, leather seats, special paint, exhaust, etc., then one day the car dealer who you bought it from says: "Hey, we're going to give you a 'brand new' car that is just coming out as a replacement. Here it is! You can't keep the old one even though you have spent years customizing it, it rides perfectly, and it fits all your needs though. But guess what? The replacement has been voted as a better car! The only caveat though is that there 197 issues with the car that are still in progress, still have to be fixed, retested and signed off on. There are also some features that you're used to that will be missing as well. The engine is not the same either - much less powerful, and unfortunate, you won't be able to customize it to your needs anymore. But we still believe it's a better car!!"

And we get a Prius instead of a Tesla...

Any cameras on? This must be a prank!!

Mark Thompson October 2, 2020

Horrible news.  I have went from being a huge cheerleader for Jira to now bashing Atlassian at every opportunity. 

Over the past 2 years you've lost me.  Every change has made my life difficult.  Your rollout process of enabling features by default has caused me no end of headaches.  I've already investigated the new view and it will not work with our current structure.  I'll have to reconfigure a large number of projects.  Tools are supposed to make our life easier.  Not cause pain.  I will now have to go in and investigate again to see if the tickets have been entered.   Atlassian has a bad habit of ignoring their user base.  Shared filters should be a fine example of that.

What makes this even worse is the way we have to make changes in Jira.  There isn't a solid and easy way to test changes on a classic config before making them live (like most other decent tools have).

I have a functional system that you are going to break.  I am 100% anti-cloud at this point.   We are actually paying for this abuse.   

Edit:  The rules engine is a good change.  You know why?  I don't have to use it unless I want to.  Although you did enable it by default for all admins + didn't have the ability to fit in existing permission schemes.  Having it on by default forced me to go in and fix it after a failure.  That's the kind of thing that irks admins.  We have enough to do.

Ricardo Gomes October 2, 2020

I don't give a darn about votes on particular issues out of the existing 197 or their priority.

The principle is crystal clear: YOU CAN ONLY REPLACE A PRODUCT WHEN THE NEW VERSION SUPPLIES THE SAME LEVEL OF FUNCTIONALITY WITHOUT ANY LOSS OR DETRIMENT TO YOUR USERS.

Period!

Why are even talking about prioritizing and voting when the 197 issues are only a small fraction of the problem?

I'm not even using the new view but if I were I'm sure I'd had many many issues raised. The same way, a lot of people here are on the same boat - they haven't even tested it.

Again, can Atlassian guarantee that when the new view is forced down into our throats, will it supply the same level of functionality of the old one?

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

Sigh! The one, big disadvantage of cloud computing; if the vendor decides they know what's best for you and your entire company, it's like it or lump it time.

We could have gotten a fresh, new GUI that was both customisable and visually appealing, instead it's a dumbed down, click-by-numbers interface for the creatively disinclined. Wasn't that supposed to be Trello's market segment?

In 5 years time, this will probably be remembered as Atlassian's Vista moment.

Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 2, 2020

Well, I have two questions here:

1. If 197 open issues is not a blocker for a public roll out, then what is? A 1000+? Just give us the number, and we'll hit pretty soon. 

2. Users are pro-actively voting against this change with multiple cases and explanation how bad this decision is. But plans for roll out are still on. If it's not #@!%ing the customer, then what is? 

Meissner Ivan October 3, 2020

@Matthew Canham

Our organization have the same request linked to JRACLOUD-71630. We would like to keep the actual features concerning the screen scheme to maintain a consistent use across projects.

Could you please clarify what will be implement before you’ll make the transition

Thanks

Ronald Vallenduuk October 3, 2020

@Matthew Canham You ignored @Charles Vickers , who made the most important comment sofar.

For years the roadmap of Jira has been dominated by 2 things:

- Dumbing Down

- White Space

Dumbing Down

Making an application easy to use is good. Good UI design makes things intuitive, obvious. What Atlassian has been doing is hiding and removing advanced features which is the wrong approach.

You have been ignoring the wishes of experienced users, power users. There are important features that have been requested by those experienced admins for many years. I think the option to hide time logs from certain user groups or roles has been requested for SEVENTEEN YEARS now.

Instead resources were put into superficial changes (see below) and the awful next-gen project. I'm sure there's a market for anarchy where everyone can create their own project but in structured environments one of the good things about Jira is the consistency. Staff can switch between projects but screens and workflows stay the same.

White Space

Whoever is in charge of UI design for Jira apparently gets off on white space. Every time there is an 'upgrade' of the UI there is more wasted space. Buttons get hidden, fields spaced out.

Jira new issue view wasted space.png

Despite your claim that you "updating the issue view to help you get more done", the result of all this is slowing people down. More clicking and more scrolling slows work down. Hiding all those buttons in menus that only appear when you hover your mouse in the right spot is very cool for showing off, but it makes a UI harder to use.

Look at the most prominent buttons/ actions in the new view: Attach, Create Subtask and Link Issue. Are they the most used actions? Not in our organisation, that's for sure.

In the proper view there are two columns above the description with 'vital statistics'; Sprint, Epic, Fix Version, Priority. In the new view the description is first, then there's two randomly chosen fields. In the configuration I can't seem to move any other fields into this area of the screen.

Everything else goes into a single column that I have to scroll down to find fields.

As if that isn't bad enough, the label sits above the value, wasting two-thirds of the width of the column. And of course the fields are spaced out vertically. More white space is better.

In the old view at the top of the right hand column are useful clusters of 'People', 'Dates' and 'Time Tracking', including the handy + button to log time.

I could go on with more details but I hope you get the message. I hate it. Based on previous performance there is zero chance that you are going to change all this in the next five months so it's time to evaluate alternatives.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2020

On the bright side, having a single issue view will make it a lot easier for support teams to help users.

I'm heartened there's communication on a rollout plan (and hope that continues!), and that the plan refers to upcoming improvements. I think it's obvious here from all the feedback in this thread that many more improvements are needed to get the new issue view to a place where we can retire the legacy view...

James Rickards (Deloitte) October 4, 2020

Thanks for the heads up atlassian. I've slowly grown to like the new view, but there is some feedback we keep getting from users on our platform as to why they don't want to move.

- please fix the "." shortcut for us power-users.  It makes it so much easier to quickly launch functionality like logging time in the new view.

- please add an improved layout for widescreen monitors. Not everyone is using tablets in vertical mode, and there is now so much wasted whitespace.

Chris F October 5, 2020

@Ronald Vallenduuk's explanation is exactly my concerns.

Our projects make do with lots of custom fields and very few comments / activity.

The fields (of which there are dozens) are the most important thing to see on an issue. They must be front and centre.

In the new design, fields are moved off to the thin right side bar causing users to need to scroll down 3-4 pages to view those fields.

And the prime page real estate sits there empty.

Currently, on the old view - everything is visible without needing to scroll. Most of the page is used and has a purpose. Soon we'll have a whole lot of blank white-space and nothing to view on it.

Similarly, with work flow buttons. The primary workflows (usually 2-3 per state) are shown, with the less used ones hidden. Now all are hidden.

This is a massive step backward.

The Fix:

1) Allow admins to choose which fields are displayed on the right-side and which fields show in the primary area under description.

2) Allow configurable columns (1-2) in the primary area under description.

Patrick Harrold October 5, 2020

It seems premature to announce a hard stop on Old Issue View when you have existing problems you know you still have to fix with future deployments. Announcing a hard stop should happen once you've fixed the major issues customers have, which doesn't seem to be the case. After we migrated to Jira Cloud earlier this year there was so much broken with the New View it's been our standard to not support it and have everyone use the Old View. This is still the case today.

Dana Frost October 5, 2020

I know there are solution to much that has been posted here but I cannot even use the Project Picker field in the New View. How can planning begin for the transition when some fields cannot even be displayed?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events