How do you get butler to move cards based on a due date?

Richard Warr June 18, 2020

I have struggled to get this to work and failed.   I want to add a due date and then have trello move my card to the list "Today" if the due date is Today.

Here's the rule:

the moment a card due today is due, move the card to the top of list "Today"

So I create a card.  Add the due date as today.  And absolutely nothing happens...

1 answer

3 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

Hi @Richard Warr 

Welcome to the Community!

What time did you set the due date on the card?

Because your rule says 'the moment a card is due' if you put the due time at 4pm, the card won't move until 4pm. 

You could have a rule using the 'Due Date' command, and rather than saying 'the moment a card is due' you could click on that in the rule and you would get the option "on the day" - then it should work no matter what time the card due time is set for.

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 09.12.24.png

I would caution however, that if you're moving a lot of cards on a lot of days, you might rapidly go through your Butler commands. 

It might be another idea to have a 'Calendar' command, that could look something like this:

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 09.10.04.pngScreenshot 2020-06-19 at 09.10.16.pngScreenshot 2020-06-19 at 09.10.37.pngWhich would mean that the rule would only trigger once a day, rather than at multiple points during the day (using more Butler quota).

Does that help? Please come back to us if it didn't and we'll try something else!

Esme :)

Gregory RISCH September 16, 2022

Your explanations have been extremely useful 

Thanks a lot

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events