color custom field using Jira cloud

rhianfarrell November 14, 2017

How can I create a color coded custom field?

I need a single choice custom field (red, amber, green)  with the colors (red, yellow, green) as the background of the field options in Jira cloud.

There are a lot of great plugins but they are only available for Jira Server. 

4 answers

4 votes
Andrew Robinson March 18, 2022

There is a solution to this for JIRA Cloud. After a heap of searching I found the below post and after implementing it, it works great and so simple.

See solution in this link that uses standard emojis to produce standard RAG colors.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-configure-different-colors-for-values-in-a/qaq-p/1394489

James Webber March 28, 2022

This is awesome @Andrew Robinson 

Like Andrew Robinson likes this
2 votes
Deleted user December 5, 2019

its been 2 years and this is still a problem, the yellow colour on the line graphs is IMPOSSIBLE to see on any shared screen and i can barely see it on my screen, I am very disappointed in the limitations placed on jira cloud, it should be your most fully featured product not lag behind for years

0 votes
James Webber March 9, 2022

Anyone got any other suggestions a few years later?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2022

The frameworks have improved, but I don't think enough to allow the coding of a colour custom field as described here.

Like Fadoua likes this
James Webber March 10, 2022

Thanks for the quick reply Nic.

Such a shame Atlassian haven't got some workaround yet.

The best I have found is Franks Traffic Light app

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2017

Unfortunately Rhian, that's the sad part with Cloud. You are limited in everything. Plugins for Cloud version are very minimal compare it to Server.

Best of luck!

rhianfarrell November 15, 2017

So there is no solution for this problem?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

I am afraid to say no, they are available for JIRA Server only.

What about some sort of script that I can run?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

I know that ScriptRunner is available for  JIRA Cloud. You can try it, and send your questions to Adaptavist team. They are great!

Do you know if script runner allows you to change custom fields?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

That will be a great question for the Adaptavist Team. Nic Brough can help you with that. He is with Adaptavist.

ok, thanks 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-Can you please assist?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

I'd like yo, but your answers are right.

Cloud does not provide the hooks for things like ScriptRunner to amend things like colours in fields.  There's simply no way to do this on Cloud.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

Hi Nic,

Is there any other solution that you could think of?

am I able to color the text using scriptrunner? red, amber (yellow), green? @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2017

All you can do on Cloud is use one of the coloured system fields - priority and status.

Like Aylin Kohls likes this

ok, thank you for your assistance 

Rony Len January 5, 2020

Are there news with regards to the capability to add color to a field?

Like # people like this
kavita.desai September 9, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , Is the priority custom field not available in jira cloud and do we need to purchase some add-on for it ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2021

Priority is a system field and has always been available on Cloud

Suggest an answer