Wanting to automate to add to a custom field

Michael Cannon February 17, 2021

Ok, so when we create a ticket we have a field custom field called TS Participant. Of course this is a group of nothing but TS users. What I am wanting to do is if someone is mentioned (@mention) in a comment on the ticket, to take that person and add to that field automatically. 

Currently the workflow is we escalate the ticket, the person on call for that group tells us who in the group to assign to and puts it back waiting on the service desk. Then we manually put that person in the TS Participant field and escalate back to the group.

I am wanting to automate this so it cuts down on the ticket time.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

Hi @Michael Cannon 

@mentions are represented in Jira in the following format: [~userid] so you could achieve this quite easily by using a smart value to extract the user id from the comment body and apply it to a User picker field.

The sample rule below assumes you have a multi-user picker and want to append the user mentioned in the comment to that list.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 22.19.30.png

If you only want a single user in the "TS Participants" field, use the example in the following screenshot.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 22.23.44.png

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

Hi @Michael Cannon 

I see you are using Jira Server, so I do not know if this article will fully help...This describes using Automation for Jira, the send web request action, and the REST API to add a new value to a custom field/selection list.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automation-for-Jira-Send-web-request-using-Jira-REST-API/ba-p/1443828

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer