How can I subscribe a group to a filter?

Frank_Sobczynski March 23, 2018

Hi all,

I understand that I cannot add individual users to a filter. I have created a group, added the users who I wish to subscribe to the filter, but I cannot subscribe the group to the filter. Under "Details" on the filter page, there is "Subscriptions". I click on "Manage Subscriptions" and JIRA takes me to a page where I can "Add Subscription" (button in the top right hand corner). I click on that button and it only shows options for Schedule and Interval.

Again, how can I subscribe a group to a filter? Thanks in advanced.

P.S. I am the owner of the filter.

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Barry Pickering March 16, 2019

I can confirm that this functionality is available on Jira Cloud.

You'll need to ask a Jira administrator to configure it for you.

1. Choose the Jira icon > Jira settings > System.

2. Select Global Permissions.

3. Select "Manage group filter permissions" in the Permission field.

4. In the Group dropdown, select the groups you wish to grant the permission to.

Wale_Olojo June 19, 2019

This worked perfectly, thank you

Carolyn McNicoll December 16, 2021

How do you remove a group subscription to a filter?

0 votes
Helen November 11, 2020

I want to create a new group for recipient group, does anyone know how to do it? 

Constanze Schmidt April 9, 2021

Hi Helen,

did you receive an answer for this?

Kind regards,

Co

0 votes
Natalia Lezhai January 22, 2019

HI @Frank_Sobczynski

I am also on Cloud and need to subscribe the group to filter. What was your workaround?

Frank_Sobczynski January 23, 2019

Hi @Natalia Lezhai,

The work around is that we had individuals subscribe to a filter.

Like Gabriela Popescu likes this
Natalia Lezhai January 24, 2019

@Frank_SobczynskiThank you, it is the only way as I see.

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2018

Hi Frank,

As described here in the section "Subscribing to your search results" you should be able to select a group from the list, if you click on the arrows to the right in the recipients box. E.g.:

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 7.30.23 PM.png

Frank_Sobczynski March 26, 2018

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, I should be able to select a group from the drop down list, if the drop down list was present. It currently is not. 

Any thoughts on next steps? Should I submit a bug ticket to Atlassian?

2018-03-26_1040.png

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2018

Hi Frank, I think you're missing the permission to share subscriptions. Can you ask a JIRA administrator to check? 

Carlos

Frank_Sobczynski April 6, 2018

Hi Carlos,

We found out that this functionality is for JIRA Server only. 

- Frank

Ewa June 19, 2018

Hi Frank,

Where did you find this info? I am in the same situation and got now admin rights to subscribe others to the filter but at my surprise I am also not able to see the group subscription field.

Frank_Sobczynski June 21, 2018

Hi Ewa,

All depends if you are on the cloud or server. My company is on the cloud and we do not have that functionality to add groups to a filter. I believe on the server you can. The work around is that we had individuals subscribe to a filter.

- Frank

Ewa June 21, 2018

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your response.

I do not know if we are on the cloud or server - how can I check it in jira?

The workaround I am doing is I have set up email forwarding to groups from outlook using rules.

Like Jim Fioretti likes this
Frank_Sobczynski June 21, 2018

Please check your "About JIRA" page. It's under Help by your avatar icon (lower left hand corner).

There is also this:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/What-version-of-Jira-am-i-using/qaq-p/604904

- Frank

Ewa June 21, 2018

I am on JIRA v7.3.9 and to be honest I still dont know if its cloud or server.

Vinay Shekar S August 1, 2018

I am on Jira 7.11.0 and I can see option to subscribe group to filter.

Basically you need to have Manage Group Filter Subscriptions (Ability to manage (create and delete) group filter subscriptions) 

Suggest an answer