What version of Jira am i using

Robert Hope July 5, 2017

Hi, im trying to determine what version of jira im using in order to integrate it with a test tool that my company use (test rail)

If i navigate to help>about jira

I can see liscence information for various things i.e:

License Information for JIRA

JIRA v1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT

License Information for JIRA Plugins

JIRA Service Desk Application v3.3.0-OD-1000.1570.0

Capture for JIRA v2.1000.0-D20170629T233645

However its not clear which version im actually using and wheter its Jira cloud or some other version

Can anyone advise how i can accuratley find out what version im using?

Thanks

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2017

Hi Robert,

as I can see in your screenshot, you use the cloud version of Jira. There, you can't see a version, because you can't install any version.

There is no version tag on cloud, it is always the latest version, that Atlassian released for cloud. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2017

Cloud uses a different versioning system.  The v1001.0.0 means Cloud, which, as Thomas says, means you will always be on the latest version and should always refer to the Cloud docs.

Like # people like this
Robert Hope July 5, 2017

Hi Thomas, many thanks for the answer and explanation.

:)

Mark Swanson November 21, 2017

So you accept an answer that tells you Atlassian has a super secret way of indicating you are using a cloud version vs a server version?

Is it included in the jira documentation that the version number v1001.0.0 is the secret code to tell you are on a cloud version?

Why doesn't the about screen say "You are logged into the Cloud version at the latest version" or "You are logged into the Server version at version xxxxx".

I used jira on a project that was owned by another group and now I'm trying to use it on a new project in our own jira account.  I'm finding the Atlassian documentation all but useless.  I can't even fine a description of the Cloud or Server version to decide which I would want to use. 

I'm really frustrated with the lack of information. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2017

"Secret"?

Cloud has one versioning system, Server has another. 

Ok, there's no explicit Cloud/Server directly on-screen, but I don't think it's too hard for the admins of a system to actually know what they bought.

You don't currently even need to look at numbers.  If you're on Cloud, which is always <name>.atlassian.net, then you're on the latest version (the <name>.atlassian.net thing may change if we're ever allowed to use non-Atlassian domains, but if it does, the versions are still a dead giveaway).

If you're on Server, then yes, the numbers matter.  They're in the footer in most cases, and that should lead you to at least finding the right docs.

So, as the community would like to help, can you tell us where you're actually stuck?  What documentation are you looking for?

Mark Swanson November 21, 2017

Thanks for your nicer than I deserved reply Nic.

My situation: I recently finished a project with an outside software vendor and we used Jira to define the features, plan the sprints and track the project.  I was acting as the project manager.  The project went quite well using Jira so I'm now a fan.  The Jira installation we used was owned by them and I have been tasked with bringing it in house.  So I'm coming into this new and a little blind.  

I discovered we have an Atlassian account with a Jira installation but the people who set it up are no longer here.  I also found I'm the only person here with login credentials for some unknown reason.  The Atlassian Jira documentation assumes you know the difference between Cloud and Server but doesn't describe how to tell which one you are using.  From your description it seems we have a cloud version since the page footer doesn't show a version number.  Information I would not have found without your description.

So my first two things to do are;

1) Get administrator rights to the account.  Failing that I'll have to start from scratch with a new installation.

2) I want to move the completed project from the vendors Jira installation to ours.  So far the documentation I've found indicates that isn't really doable although others have described workarounds.  The vendor is also using a cloud version.

Sorry for the long post but I felt I needed to let you know I'm not a complete jerk.  I don't know what to ask for now but it seems like this community is a good place to ask for help when I get stuck.

Thanks,

//Mark

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2017

Discovering that you are inheriting unknown Jira (and possibly other Atlassian) systems is often ... well, I typed a few things, and couldn't settle on a good one.  Certainly not ones that were accurate without swear words.  System shock, difficult, hectic, pressurised, and so-on.

It's not really important to describe or categorise, far more useful to get you over what you might be stuck with, and helping your users.

So, working through what I think you've got:
It sounds like you have Atlassian Cloud Jira.  I'm not 100% sure of that, so I'm not going to chase it up without confirmation, but that confirmation is really easy - is the url you are using Jira on <something>.atlassian.net<something>?

The answer to that determines the answers I think you need.  I am going to assume a "yes, we are on cloud" and so:
1.  You'll need to talk to the existing Cloud admins.  Worst case, you'll need to recover Cloud admin rights, which does mean asking Atlassian for information about who owns what.

2. Moving projects around is something Jira does really badly.  I don't want to go too far down that route until you have a solid Jira install you are happy with, but I would strongly recommend getting an xml export of their system at a point where they are not going to update that project any more.

1 vote
Chahat Arora March 27, 2019

The "OD" in those numbers tells us that this is Cloud Jira, where the version does not matter to end users (as you have no control over it)

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2017

Or you can get the version and build number from the System info if you have admin access. 

Robert Hope July 5, 2017

Yes i have admin acess. can you advise where abouts in the system info i might find it as i can not see it?

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2017

In Server version you can navigate as follows;

Administration (Wheen Icon shown near your profile photo) -> System-> System Info.

But, if its cloud there is not concept of versioning. You can find the details here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/application-versions-687219181.html

Like Salma Gomaa likes this
0 votes
Robert Hope July 5, 2017

heres a screen shot of what i see when i got to about Jira:

jira.png

0 votes
Stefan Arnold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2017

Iam not sure if this is the information you need but in jira core and software you simply scroll down to the footer there should be something like this:

jirafooter.pngSo iam currently using Jira Software in version 7.3.6

Robert Hope July 5, 2017

Hi Stefan, I read this on another post somwhere but when i tried on my Jira, the footer does not display any information

footer.png

Like Ed likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question