Epic Link not working as expected behavior

Mario Rodriguez Redondo December 10, 2019

In order to explain this question I provide you the specifications of the case:

Levels of issues:

Theme - Epic of Epic (This is defined to be used this way with an Issue Link field)

Epic - Normal usage by Jira

Story - Normal usage by Jira

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue comes as follows:

Lets say I have an Epic linked to a Theme by Issue Link field (Epic of Epic). When I created some new Story issues in Jira and tried to Epic link them to the expected Epic, the field only allows the option to find in the search field the Theme issue, not the Epic.

This behavior is expected or something is not working correctly? Why an Epic Link field is not able to find the current expected Epic and can find different one's? It's cause of the Theme Issue Link field?

I can provide screens if needed.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to hearing from you.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

It doesn't look like Epic has been renamed, it should work.  Can you try typing in the full name of the Epic you are looking for?  Sometimes the search doesn't work as expected.  Full name, case sensitive.

Story_Base_fail_search.PNG

A little detail about something "wierd" in the behavior:

When I type the KEY of the Epic, it link to the Theme, not to the Epic.

Epic KEY : xxxx-1799

Theme KEY: xxxx-1798

That's not something normal. Seems like it's re-index issue? or it's interpreting the incorrect one.

PD: Epic was not changed of issue Type, verified.

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

Sounds like an indexing issue to me.

It's been a Index problem.

Thanks all for your help. Kind regards!

1 vote
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

@Mario Rodriguez Redondo  , the epic link is usually to relate the issue to it's parent epic . That is the general behaviour.

Few questions in my mind on this possibilities:

Did the 'epic to epic' link come from a plugin or a specific custom link type you created?

Did you rename the packaged issue type 'Epic' to Theme and created a new issue type theme?

0 votes

Hi @Fazila Ashraf and @Pete Singleton , thanks for your quick reply's!

Before doing the post I was already doing a background reindex, so I'll let you know as soon as it's done, but not sure if it will work.

Regarding questions:

Did the 'epic to epic' link come from a plugin or a specific custom link type you created? Epic Link is the default field from Jira, nothing from 3rd party plugins or created from zero field.

Did you rename the packaged issue type 'Epic' to Theme and created a new issue type theme? That's something that may have happened, I'll look right now and let you know asap.

I'll add the screens so you can see the example:

As you can see, the Story has the Epic Link of the Theme issue, not the Epic and I can't find it on the search field.

Theme_of_Epic.PNGEpic_Link.PNGStory_Base.PNG

Story_Base_fail_search.PNG

Deleted user December 10, 2019

Epic should have "epic name" which will come in the "Epic link" searchbox.

can you add Epic Name and try again?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

@Mario Rodriguez Redondo  , the screen shot of the EPIC you shared actually lists the 'issues in epic'. So that epic is related to those issues by 'Epic link'.. So i think that works as expected.

Could you put the Epic's ticket id to the story's 'epic link' field and search for it?

BTW, the custom link type i inquired was about your lines 'Lets say I have an Epic linked to a Theme by Issue Link field (Epic of Epic)'

@Fazila Ashraf Here you haveEpic_Key.pngEpic_Key_Search.PNG

Epic Key is HAAS-1799, as you can see I put it on the Epic Link, but it redirects to the Theme issue (HASS-1798), quite strange, no?

Looking to hear from you, thanks.

0 votes
Deleted user December 10, 2019

What is the id of your Epic and Theme?

If Theme's ID is 10000, someone has renamed the JIRA's Epic as Theme.

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2019

Are you using the system field "Epic Link" on your Stories?

Could you try re-indexing and see if that helps?

Screenshots would be useful too if you can...

Suggest an answer