Change Board Type from KanBan to Scrum?

Timothy Harris January 29, 2015

Is it possible to change an existing boards type?

We have a KanBan board for a project. They want to move to a Scrum work flow. It would be great if we could simply change the type of the board so we could get the plan view...

Now we have to create a whole new Scrum board and set up all the columns, quick filters, etc...

7 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Philippe Aubin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2015

It is not possible, your need to recreate it with the same filter.

Timothy Harris January 29, 2015

Quite the shame, but it is what it is. Thanks for the answer :-)

Like # people like this
Thandi Zide January 13, 2016

Yes, that is quite depressing. Thanks though.

Brandon Call May 19, 2016

For the purposes of keeping score, I'd like to see this feature also.

Like # people like this
Armen Sanasarian January 18, 2017

Re-creating settings and quick filters is a waste.

Like Bianca Jongbloed likes this
Meghan Swan May 30, 2018

+1

Like Bianca Jongbloed likes this
Taylor Smith December 18, 2018

please add this feature

Like # people like this
Josée Vroon March 1, 2019

please add this feature

Like Aliaksandr Mikhailouski likes this
Taslim Hussain May 23, 2019

Ya it gonna be cool add it

Elizabeth Dyson May 23, 2019

4 years later, folks still asking for this. Sounds about right.

Like # people like this
Ilsa Khan May 24, 2019

Is this feature available? I mistakenly created all my projects KanBan whereas I intended to make Scrum projects. --newbie here-

Like Raffaella Sanna likes this
Taslim Hussain May 24, 2019

Go to the Project Setting and on the left sidebar there is an option to delete the project.

Delete all the kanban projects. Then create new project, but this time make sure you first change the template b4 name the project.

Screenshot from 2019-05-24 19-42-50.png

Like # people like this
Baskar_Ganapathy February 15, 2020

Even though I setup the filters, nothing is showing up in the scrum board. Can someone please help? 

Avigail_Manheim February 16, 2020

@Baskar_Ganapathy nothing will show up on your scrum board until you start a sprint. You should be able to see your tickets in the backlog view.

If you need more help on this topic, I recommend that you start a new thread as it is not pertinent to the question this page is discussing.

Baskar_Ganapathy February 16, 2020

Hi Avigail,

It is related to this thread as I'm trying to see the issues in the Scrum style instead of the Kanban style. Since I can't change the Kanban board to Scrum style, I had a create a new board with Scrum style. But even though I do that and setup the query filter correctly, it still doesn't show up!! :-(

Yes, I did start a sprint, but the backlog has 0 issues!!! :-(

Just curious, are you part of JIRA team or (expert) user?

Thanks

Baskar G

Avigail_Manheim February 16, 2020

Hi Baskar,

I understand that it is related, because by following the advice here you've encountered this problem, but this is a problem that others can have regardless of the reason why they created a scrum board, which is why I think you are better off searching for threads about issues not appearing on the scrum board. 

Here is Atlassian's documentation about troubleshooting this problem: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/issues-are-not-appearing-in-boards-779159013.html

And here are examples of some threads you may find helpful if searching the Q/A:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Issues-do-not-appear-in-my-backlog/qaq-p/352913

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Issues-are-not-visible-in-backlog/qaq-p/415637

I'm not part of the Jira team, but have worked as a Jira admin for a number of years. 

Hope you find the answers you need.

-Avigail

Like coeadmins likes this
3 votes
Oskar Austegard July 15, 2020

The title of this page (and what appears in Google's search results) is "Solved: Change Board Type from KanBan to Scrum?". Clearly it is NOT solved as there's no answer - and there are several related/identical questions to the same effect?

Any Atlassian product managers on here?

1 vote
Vijya Nand Jha November 21, 2019

switch between broad type possible ? Kanban or Scrum , Please guide

extern_Nelson_Loia February 26, 2023

Also me.

1 vote
Andreas Gala January 25, 2019

If you landed here because you want the Project Settings to change (they are different for Kanban and Scrum projects) you may be interested in Atlassian's suggestion for how to migrate between these project types. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html

Avigail_Manheim December 26, 2019

Note that these instructions are about migrating between NextGen and Classic. In both NextGen and Classic you can have Kanban or Scrum. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
iamkelsishayla April 2, 2020

So, would it not be possible to create new projects and move all issues to the new project?

If you create a kanban board off the scrum projects thats all and well but the sprint fields are still in the background annoying me as admin cos theyre not being used.

Elizabeth Dyson April 2, 2020

Projects are just projects. They are neither Scrum nor Kanban. The boards you build off of a project are what are Scrum or Kanban.

The fields and workflows set up for a project are also separate from being Scrum or Kanban. They can be set up however you need them to be. If you don't like the fields, work with your Jira administrators to remove them.

If a development team wants to switch from Scrum to Kanban, or vice versa, setting up a whole new project and migrating, what could be 100s of tickets, is a lot more effort than just building a new board. Its still time consuming to build a new board, which is why this thread has asked, for years, for Atlassian to make it possible to switch a board from Scrum to Kanban, but I wouldn't recommend creating a new project to solve the issue either.

Like # people like this
extern_Nelson_Loia February 26, 2023

Hi!

I am trying to do the same: create a Scrum board from an existing kanban board, containing two projects.
I was able to create the Scrum board, but it do not show the cards correctly
In the prints below the result I got.

Any help please?
Do not hesitate in ask me for further details.

Thank you in advance.

JIRA - Kanban for 2 projs.jpgJIRA - Scrum for 2 projs.jpg

Suggest an answer