Issues do not appear in my backlog.

I created a new project and agile board, and have created several issues. But they do not appear in the backlog. Am I missing a step?

I can see that 15 issues exist:

But when I click "View on Board", I get this:

5 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Maarten Cautreels Community Champion Mar 24, 2014

I'm not sure but can you check the Boards configuration. Maybe in the part "Column" you will see that no statusses have been mapped to any columns. Not sure if that also influences the Plan mode of the scrumboard but you never know.

Edit: I just did a test on our instance and it does influence what is shown on the Plan mode of the Scrumboard.

Best,

Maarten

Great,

This is a common problem. One need to ensure anyunmapped items in the column is placed in the right column, otherwise JIRA tickets may be missing from the Board.

Solved! Thanks for that, was so confused what was going on but makes sense now.

I had this same issue and maarten's first answer was the right answer. The problem was that it wasn't  immediately clear to why columns might be my issue. I thought i'd elaborate on both why this happened and show how to fix it.

When I created my new project, I had copied status and a workflow from another project which wouldn't be the standard setup.  This added new status in my project that aren't mapped to columns in the agile workboard. These new status appear in the  unmapped status in the "columns" configuration for the project. My backlog was showing empty despite having 6 issues.

I simply modified the columns and dragged the unmapped statuses into the lane.  Here i have all my statuses mapped to columns:

column.png

Regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul. Had same issues and your solution works fine. Cheers, Sergey

Hi, Can tell me how to get into the column management page?

1 votes
Maarten Cautreels Community Champion Mar 23, 2014

Hi Drew,

It's possible that the filter which is used for your board filters out those issues. Can you show us a copy of the Board's filter?

On the board click on the Board button, top right corner and choose for the option to Configure. By default it shows the General tab. If not, click General in the menu on the left. This will show a page that includes your filter. Please copy this in a comment here on Atlassian Answers.

Thanks,

Maarten

Thanks for the reply! Here's the query:

Filter Query

project = Fitnessentials ORDER BY Rank ASC

Hi,

I am facing same issue, is there any solution for it?

Regards,

Usama 

I think the solution does not work in the case where you do not want to a Backlog status to actually show in your swim lane/columns.

The whole point of having a backlog view is so you don't pollute your active sprint column with the stuff in backlog, and for the items to only show up in your To Do after you moved them from your backlog.

I am using the To Do as items that have been pulled into the Active Sprint from backlog, but has not been assigned for a developer.

I am having the same issue.  Atlassian told me to make a backlog column on my scrum board.  I don't want that column there.  My issue is also complicated because we are moving from a Kanban Board to a scrum board.  On the Kanban board we have a backlog column, on the scrum board, we want to use the backlog that is inherent with a scrum board.  Very frustrated. 

Jack Brickey Community Champion Dec 22, 2017

@Ingrid Maehl, I’m a bit lost on this thread likely because it seems to have veered a bit. Can you state your precise issue? This thread in fact is a bit dated so suggest we take a fresh look at your specific issue. 

CertInly a scrum board will have a Backlog View that is independent of the active sprint view. I don’t understand the need to display backlog column in active sprint. 

Hi, I have the same Issue as Ingrid. Is there a new thread anywhere to follow up on this topic?

Maarten Cautreels Community Champion Wednesday

Hi Sarah,

I haven't found any, so I would suggest you create a new one so this gets our full attention.

Best,

Maarten

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

247 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot