How do I change a kanban board to be scrum instead?

Melissa Appel August 8, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring a board

I am just getting starting with a team on Agile. I have done Agile development project management in the past, but this is my first time using JIRA. I started with a Kanban board and have a bunch of epics, user stories, etc. but now I'm thinking of changing over to Scrum instead of Kanban. Is there an easy way to copy or move all of my existing stuff over to a Scrum board without having to start over from scratch or move each individual item? Thanks!

4 answers

11 votes
Melissa Appel August 8, 2016

So apparently this is already answered. Simply create a new Scrum board under the same project that has the Kanban board, and then you can see the project in either Scrum or Kanban or go back and forth.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

Please be aware that boards are not "under a project", and that's why this works.

A board exists.  It selects issues and allows you to work with them.  Often, it will be selecting "project = xyz", but they can select from many projects, or take parts of projects rather than the whole.  If you delete a board, it doesn't touch the project and if you delete a project, the board remains (even though it may no longer have anything to select)

Like # people like this
3 votes
Andreas Gala January 25, 2019

If you landed here because you want the Project Settings to change (they are different for Kanban and Scrum projects) you may be interested in Atlassian's suggestion for how to migrate between these project types. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html

Ken Curtis April 29, 2019

Thank you, I found your post to be very helpful!

Like # people like this
3 votes
Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

Yes, you can have multiple boards under one project. No need to transfer anything, just create a new scrumboard.

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018

Under Scrum Board, it is possible to create sprints. Let's say we have two Scrum boards, then would be possible to have a story in Board1 and Board2, what happens if I move the given story from Backlog to Sprint1 in Board1, what I would see in Board2? The active Sprint for Board2 is Sprint1 only, therefore the Sprint2 has not started for this Board 2. I would like to understand what I expect to see on Board2 under this scenario.

Like Daniel likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2018

Any changes to an issue will be shown on a board that shows that issue. 

In the scenario you give, your story would show as being in sprint1, on both board1 and board2.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Dave Ingram June 18, 2020

Actually, it seems that in NextGen it just got easier... here is a video demo...

https://youtu.be/PwRbSm43S7g 

Dave Ingram June 18, 2020

And here is how to reinstate your issues to the correct columns on your board after that....

https://youtu.be/Mx1TmDBHvkc

Suggest an answer