It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I change a kanban board to be scrum instead?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring a board

I am just getting starting with a team on Agile. I have done Agile development project management in the past, but this is my first time using JIRA. I started with a Kanban board and have a bunch of epics, user stories, etc. but now I'm thinking of changing over to Scrum instead of Kanban. Is there an easy way to copy or move all of my existing stuff over to a Scrum board without having to start over from scratch or move each individual item? Thanks!

3 answers

So apparently this is already answered. Simply create a new Scrum board under the same project that has the Kanban board, and then you can see the project in either Scrum or Kanban or go back and forth.

Nic Brough Community Leader Aug 08, 2016

Please be aware that boards are not "under a project", and that's why this works.

A board exists.  It selects issues and allows you to work with them.  Often, it will be selecting "project = xyz", but they can select from many projects, or take parts of projects rather than the whole.  If you delete a board, it doesn't touch the project and if you delete a project, the board remains (even though it may no longer have anything to select)

Like # people like this

Yes, you can have multiple boards under one project. No need to transfer anything, just create a new scrumboard.

Under Scrum Board, it is possible to create sprints. Let's say we have two Scrum boards, then would be possible to have a story in Board1 and Board2, what happens if I move the given story from Backlog to Sprint1 in Board1, what I would see in Board2? The active Sprint for Board2 is Sprint1 only, therefore the Sprint2 has not started for this Board 2. I would like to understand what I expect to see on Board2 under this scenario.

Nic Brough Community Leader Nov 30, 2018

Any changes to an issue will be shown on a board that shows that issue. 

In the scenario you give, your story would show as being in sprint1, on both board1 and board2.

Like # people like this

If you landed here because you want the Project Settings to change (they are different for Kanban and Scrum projects) you may be interested in Atlassian's suggestion for how to migrate between these project types. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html

Thank you, I found your post to be very helpful!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Virtual dance party!

Do dance parties help you relieve stress? How about *virtual dance parties*? My team holds virtual dance parties to brighten the mood of a tough day or celebrate an upcoming weekend.  Want t...

180 views 21 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you