how do i turn off 'new issue view' globally for my Jira instance?

Stu January 31, 2018

Hi

How do i turn off 'new issue view' globally for my Jira instance, for all my users?  Any 

Thanks

15 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Hi Stu,

At the moment, this is not an option that a Jira Cloud site-admin would have the ability to change for all your users through the web console.   It still might be possible for our Cloud support team to disable this new feature on your instance.  However I would recommend opening a support case in order to do this.  You can do so at https://getsupport.atlassian.com  

I am not sure if you can still do this today.  I know it was possible at one time. There may come a time when it is no longer possible to turn this feature off.

Andy

Stu December 2, 2018

Thanks @Andy Heinzer

Like Chris_Burl__ORNL_ likes this
Justin Stofle February 25, 2019

it has been a year now, any way to disable the new UI globally? It is slow and worse than old UI and having things in different places makes it difficult to support JIRA across my organization

Like # people like this
Stephanie Miller March 27, 2019

We experience challenges as the new UI has fields on it that we have chosen not to enable. The "New UI" overrides those field settings and causes issue with users and support within our teams.

Example: "Time Tracking" is a field we don't want to enable. Our field screen layout doesn't have it but if the users click on the new ui option the field shows up.

Like # people like this
Chris_Burl__ORNL_ May 29, 2019

I'm jumping on the band wagon here. We have carefully groomed the views to minimize clutter, be consistent across projects and shift commonly used information to the top. This setting completely undermines the administrative design. Our user's hate the views and there needs to be a way to turn them off at an admin level or at least they should be disabled by default for all non-next gen projects.

Like # people like this
Wayne Bryan June 27, 2019

@njain This is the thread about the frustrating lack of admin's being able to opt out  projects or the whole company from the Labs.  Allow individual opt out is  NOT sufficient is I have hundreds of users confused, suffering from the new lab. 

Like # people like this
KevinB August 21, 2019

This should be globally configurable. Creating a lot of headaches with users. 

Like # people like this
Ee-Lyn Law August 22, 2019

Would really like to be able to turn off the new view for anyone who accesses the project. All team members inc. clients are not a big fan of the new view. 

Like # people like this
6 votes
Yair Halamish May 10, 2019

We are actively looking for alternatives, I don't know if this thread is a good place for it, maybe start a new topic titled: "Alternatives for Jira".

Charles Jamison February 10, 2021

Lol! Bazinga.

Danny Patel April 28, 2021

Sign me up for that list :)

3 votes
andersheintz June 10, 2019

I’ve been a Jira user for about 15 years and I’ve had my fair share of swearing configuring Jira, and had to clean up a few overengineered installations but still held Jira high, it’s always done its job even if it sometimes were very slow.

Having been out of the loop for a few years I’ve recently taken the CTO position at a company very focused on Microsofts products and have become very frustrated with the Azure Devops (VSTS/TFS whatever) for product development planning/Scrum tool, and since we’re using Jira Service Desk I ”knew” that it would be a breeze to replace Devops with Jira and get a much more efficient way of working and solve a few of our problems (the ones solvable by a product anyway).

Boy, I was mistaken.

I personally sat down to help with setting up the instance and add a few configurations I know we need, but was absolutely baffled by the constant clicking and that you seem to get lost between the semi-new agile project board UI and the older issue view (not to mention next-gen, that is potentially the crappiest excuse for a MVP released to the public I’ve ever seen, why in the name of anything holy would I pay for enterprise-grade and getting something like that).

I understand the need to refresh the UI, it wasn’t the best as some people say, but you can’t release something like that (unfinished, lacking efficiency, and counter-intuitive) with the feedback given and then start releasing the trello-like ”NextGen” without understaning it will, eventually, make the company become irrelevant.

I’ve seen this trend in other places as well, AWS new interfaces are becoming more click-intense and other major players realize their UI’s looks old and clunky. But mind you, the perhaps most efficient UI for systems are green text on black background. Not beautiful, not easy to learn, perhaps not easy to sell, but efficient as hell. And we’re investing in efficiency.

With this new UI, you’ve unfortunately and effectively moved yourself to a position behind Microsoft, even if Azure DevOps has a long way to go to become what you were.

Charles Jamison June 11, 2019
Like # people like this
3 votes
Deleted user March 4, 2019

Why no one from Atlassian is responding to such requests? They introduce a new "LAB" feature (which is really not usable right now) and give Administrators no option to disable it for the users - and make it default!

There is right now no way to configure the order of the fields of the new view on a central place, so I have to configure it for XXX projects by hand! Before that is not solved, they cannot force organizations to use it!

Charles Jamison April 17, 2019

Lol.  They can do anything they want and that is exactly what they are doing.  What are you gonna do?  Convince your boss to switch to some other platform? 

But I hear you.  I am in the same predicament.

They turned an opt-in lab feature into an opt-out feature without letting Admins (and thus entire organizations) control it.

This is, I think, by design on their part.  Rather than talk to their customers and get use case data (as is common place good policy in the software design world) they are abusing "agile" methodologies by forcing various JIRA-using organizations to use the new issue view (I suppose to SLOWLY get feedback to fix what is broken) and then getting feedback to fix what they broke - and there is a LOT broken that should have been obvious to them in hindsight.  In this way they can slowly transition JIRA into a golden new age without getting a deluge of super angry customers - just using random customers as guinea pigs to get the job complete.  Not what the founding fathers of Agile were expecting.

This is of course just my angry paranoid opinion derived from two facts:

1) The complaints about the new issue view are strangely spread out over a year-long or more period (instead of a sudden onslaught of them). 
2) The new issue view is so bad that there WOULD be a deluge of angry customers if they flpped the switch on everyone at once.

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 17, 2019

It´s really unbelievable...

• If I would come up with such an idea in our company my boss would just kick my ass.
  • But on the other hand I would not work for a company where such customer complains like this just get ignored.

Atlassian has become an overbearing and ignorant f****** company. Too bad.

It's simply how it is. Evolution. Companies come and companies go. And most of the blame is bad management and customers are ignored. It will make someone better.

Like # people like this
Charles Jamison June 11, 2019

Customers being ignored is what this forum is for!

We complain. They ignore us.  But they gave us a place to complain!  How nice.  We continue to use their product.  They get paid.  Everyone is happy!

Like Max Clendenning likes this
3 votes
Ash Bladon November 29, 2018

@Andy Heinzer is this available yet?  The new interface where all the ticket details are squeezed off to the side is unusable.  Getting a little fed up of clients and team-members complaining about this - how do I disable it as standard?  Otherwise I think we are going to have to look at a different tool that has the flexibility of the old JIRA

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2018

I think you might be referring to something slightly different than the original post.   I believe you are talking about the new issue details view on a Scrum or Kanban board.  If that is the case, there is a Jira Labs feature that you can currently disable this specific new feature.  To do this go into your user avatar -> Personal settings.  On that page there is an option to disable this new issue details view there.

disablenewnew.png

Like Divya Dias likes this
Dave Potts December 2, 2018

Any word on whether I can disable the "new issue view" globally yet?

Like # people like this
Ash Bladon December 2, 2018

Thanks for getting back to me Andrew.  I didnt mean specifically in relation to the scrum board - we use a lot of custom fields for the scrum board is just for an overview and the backlog view doesn't give enough detail - so we generally look at the full version of an issue.  This is where we are finding that all the information we actually need is squeezed off to the side and really stretched up (because the details of the ticket are at least a few multi-line fields) and the vast majority of the screen estate is given over to comments.  

I can see how maybe this would be good if you had a workflow that required lots of back-and-forth on tickets - but this isn't my experience in software development - so it's quite an obstructive change for us.  Also - never hurts to let people make their own decisions :)

Deleted user February 21, 2019

Agree.  I hate the new issues view.  I want to set the old view as a global setting for all projects.

Like Dave Todaro likes this
Alexander Gran July 23, 2019

Same here. Any news? The admin options are really way to limited!

KevinB August 21, 2019

Adding to thread....The new issue view is terrible. Can't find anything (or at least takes 15-20 minutes to find). Our users are equally frustrated. Most people I've worked with turn the new view off. It better not go mandatory or you'll have a lot of angry customers. 

zak.taemur December 24, 2019

Amazing that Atlassian have not addressed this problem ! Dreadful ..

1 vote
Gilberto Monroy Aguilar July 11, 2019

I was able to disable it in the Personal Settings page.

I hate the new view as well, I cannot see a damn thing there, I have to scroll down to see the information I need. The dropdown to change  the issue status is a good idea though.

0 votes
Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2021

Hi everyone,

For those interested, I have published this post for the latest updates on the new issue view and our upcoming plans and enhancements. 

0 votes
Daphne Thunnissen May 28, 2021

AAAAARGGHH. OH NO, OH NO, OH NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 16.13.39.png

Charles Jamison May 28, 2021

Are you telling me you still have the old issue view?  They kicked my instance off it way back in March! 

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2021

Hi @Charles Jamison - we do still have a small number of instances still in the old issue view - but these will be migrating across shortly. 

Charles Jamison June 1, 2021

Thanks!  Nice to see an actual Atlassian Employee out here in the wastelands for once!

Like Loretta Brunette likes this
Daphne Thunnissen June 3, 2021

Yes, I am one of the lucky ones who can still turn the old view on. I'm soooo sad that Atlassian decided to go through with the new view. It's really horrible design (so sorry @Loretta). I don't think Atlassian has tested this with real customers or with different apps installed. 

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2021

Hi @Daphne Thunnissen - I'd love to jump on a call so you can run me through your feedback on the design - if you have the time, you can book in with me here

0 votes
Ted O_Connor October 1, 2020

Disabling globally will no longer be an issue once they do away with the classic view completely in 2021.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Transitioning-all-Jira-Cloud-users-to-the-new-issue-view/ba-p/1494104

0 votes
Anna Schiller June 12, 2020

Dear JIRA Product Design Group,

Why, oh why would you allow me to alter my screen view, BUT...limit me to what can be placed in the middle of the screen vs the right panel.  Can you please explain that to me?  I...me...the user of your product, should be the one deciding WHAT they want to see in the center of the screen vs. the right panel.  Keep in mind, those of us who have used JIRA for many years have learned how to use it for various groups for various needs.  This should be a SELLING point for you guys, but by pigeon holding me to limit the way I want to layout my screen, you are pissing off my people and eventually, over time, they WILL ask to go to another product.  PLEASE, I BEG you......either allow me to turn off this feature GLOBALLY or allow me more flexibility on the screen layout. 

0 votes
Adelle McDonald March 25, 2020

I believe a UX questionnaire was left out of the UI change.

What are you using JIRA for?

Yes JIRA is used for software but it was highly configurable and teams have used it to track assets, genomes, run small businesses, manage all kinds of asks (objects) through a workflow.

For everyone unhappy with the new view can we please state what we are using it for? Because if this is opening market share (KEEPING it) perhaps the voices won’t be drowned by the software only teams.

I’ll start - Bugzilla sorry GOJIRA sorry JIRA sorry Jira manages the fulfilment of zero waste reusable nappies that save the environment, and occasionally manages software delivery.

anyone else?

0 votes
Andreas Amundsen September 12, 2019

I am currently working with a new cloud instance. The new issue view is now enabled as default in classic projects and there is an option in the issue to switch back in the issue, but it reverts back to the new view as soon as you leave the issue. I agree with everything above, it is pretty infuriating to see this coming from a company as Atlassian.

My immediate problem is: I cannot find a way to turn this off at the project or user level, hav they removed this option too?

Charles Jamison September 13, 2019

Welcome to your new role as JIRA roll-out guinea pig!  I have been one for months now.

Each user must turn it off individually - so if you are running a JIRA cloud instance and have multiple users you must educate each one on how to turn it off.

For the specifics of how to turn it off, scroll up and read this posting from this same thread:
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Nov 30, 2018

Then read my disgruntled comment in this thread from so you don't feel alone in your anger:

Charles Jamison Apr 17, 2019

Andreas Amundsen September 13, 2019

Thank you for replying! I have read the comments and totally agree. I found the "workaround" after some searching. We are an Atlassian partner who work with, amongst other things, large migrations from server to cloud. I understand that this works fine if you have 50 users, but sending out emails to thousands of users to change a setting in their personal profile to turn off an incomplete and buggy experimental feature is just not ok, and don't forget new users! I don't see how the absence of admin features support the push towards cloud, someone did not think this through. 

Charles Jamison September 13, 2019

The absence of admin features is on purpose! If it was an admin feature all the admins would just turn it off because it sucks. 

Thus:  YOU ARE THE GUINEA PIG NOW.  Everyone on this thread has been for some time now.  They are just rolling it out in phases to random organizations as a user opt-out feature - which is a shameful abuse of the agile methodology.

Rather than talk to their customers and get use case data (as is common place good policy in the software design world) they are abusing "agile" methodologies by forcing various JIRA-using organizations to use the new issue view (I suppose to SLOWLY get feedback to fix what is broken) and then getting feedback to fix what they broke - and there is a LOT broken that should have been obvious to them in hindsight.  In this way they can slowly transition JIRA into a golden new age without getting a deluge of super angry customers - just using random customers as guinea pigs to get the job complete.  Not what the founding fathers of Agile were expecting.

This is of course just my angry paranoid opinion derived from two facts:

1) The complaints about the new issue view are strangely spread out over a year-long or more period (instead of a sudden onslaught of them). 
2) The new issue view is so bad that there WOULD be a deluge of angry customers if they flpped the switch on everyone at once.

KevinB September 13, 2019

Completely agree with Charles. Abusing "agile". In fact their guinea pig approach is simply lazy at best. A much better approach would be to ask for beta users to opt in. Have trouble finding beta users? Offer incentives. But the approach they have chosen is simply lazy and frustrating. 

0 votes
David Stephensen August 28, 2019

Compulsory testing of a user interface that hides what some people need in every issue is a bad idea. Jira is not only used for software development!!! I can't believe this. And no way to globally turn it off!

0 votes
Jie Kang July 27, 2019

The new view is terrible. Why replacing something great with something so crappy? Does Atlassian run out of improvement ideas, and just change something for the sake of changing it?

Please give admin the ability to change the view back globally for all users!

KevinB August 21, 2019

Please do as Jie Kang asked. Terrible design in new view. 

0 votes
Alexander Gran July 23, 2019

Does anyone know if switching to a hosted installation solves the issue? For me the unability to control the cloud as need (switching of new view for all users) is killer.

Suggest an answer