Email Bug - email says 'issue assigned to you' when it was actually assigned to someone else

Zoe Williams December 15, 2020

Hi

The email layout changed last week for notifications sent from Jira Cloud when there are changes on a ticket that you are assigned / watching. (they look good btw, love that the grey bg is gone)

However, it looks like the wrong template is being used in the notification about an issue being reassigned, when you are not the new assignee.

The email subject says '<user> assigned <ticket> to you' and the body says '<user> assigned this issue to you' however, further down in the body it shows the old and new assignee and only then do you notice that the ticket wasn't actually assigned to you, it was assigned to someone else.

I think there should be 2 templates for this notification to cover the 2 scenarios in which it will be sent - 'ticket assigned to you' and 'ticket you are watching has been reassigned'.

This is causing a lot of confusion for my team as we're all getting told via these emails that tickets have been assigned to us, when that's not actually the case.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I can't see any help files about editing email templates on Cloud so don't think we've done anything to change this text ourselves, but if we have, please advise where I need to direct my Administrator to adjust this.

I am not sure if this is the correct place to log this to get some feedback from Atlassian, so pls let me know...

Thanks in advance.

Zoe

Jira 'assigned to you' email.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rostislav Harazin December 16, 2020

Hi Zoe, we have the same bug. Have you already reported it?

Zoe Williams December 16, 2020

Good to hear I'm not the only one.

No, I haven't reported it, where do I do that?

Rostislav Harazin December 17, 2020

https://support.atlassian.com

I'm going to do it too. :-)

Zoe Williams December 17, 2020

Thank you, logged!

Justin Tardiff December 18, 2020

Same issue here, thanks!

0 votes
MaryGrace Rohrs December 16, 2020

Seeing the same bug as well.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

I have not observed or tested. If you feel this is indeed a bug I highly recommend reporting it to Atlassian support directly. 

Zoe Williams December 17, 2020

Thank you, have reported it

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

@Zoe Williams , have you or, for that matter, anyone heard back from Atlassian?

Zoe Williams December 20, 2020

They haven't replied to my support request yet @Jack Brickey 

The status is 'ATLASSIAN INVESTIGATING'.

Zoe Williams December 20, 2020

FYI Atlassian have made contact, it has been sent to development team for further investigation.

Zoe Williams December 22, 2020

UPDATE: Atlassian have made a change and the email is no longer mentioning 'assigned to you'.

It looks like they may have just rolled back the recent email changes as the look of the emails has reverted. Hopefully they can fix the issues and test it properly and release the new templates again soon.

Rostislav Harazin December 22, 2020

Hello everyone, just the confirmation from Atlassian Support:

Yesterday, by the end of the day, I heard from one of our product leads that some changes were made in order to resolve this problem. Which might involve disabling the new email template temporarily. Once we find the root cause we will enable the new email template again.

Like Zoe Williams likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events