Changing the order of the statuses in the dropdown list in an issue

Or Go August 18, 2020

Hi all,

When I click on the Status button in an issue,

The order of the statuses in the dropdown is not representing the correct workflow order,

Is there a way to control it?

I found a post regarding this matter but didn't really understand what I need to do in-order to place the statuses in the order I need it to be.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks   

5 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2020

Hello @Or Go ,

As a jira administrator -

1. Goto project --> project --> project settings --> workflows
2. Click on pencil icon to edit your workflow
Screenshot_5.png
3. Click on workflow transition and click on "properties"

Screenshot_9.png
4. Now add the opsbar-sequence property key and property value as '3' for "To do" transition
5. Repeat step 3, and 4 for other transitions where you would like to change the order
6. Once you finish setting up property keys and values,  publish the workflow and come back to your issue and you can see the statuses reordered.

In my workflow I have
To Do - 3
Done - 1
In progress - 2
Fix Resolution - 0

and below is the result
Screenshot_12.png

Note: If you are not a jira admin, please work with your jira admin to make this change.

Best,
Sachin.

ivan September 26, 2022

thx. 

Like Jasmin Winger likes this
Monica Morris October 20, 2023

@Sachin This worked for me, thank you so much for your suggestion! 

I added a new workflow status and needed it to appear between two existing statuses, but the new status was appearing at the bottom of the list on the status dropdown. I had not set the opsbar-sequence property for the new status. Once I set the property for the new status with a value between the opsbar-sequence values for the statuses I wanted it to sit between, the status dropdown menu showed it correctly.

Ex.

• Added Status C, want it to sit between Status A and Status B on the dropdown menu but Status dropdown menu showed: Status A, Status B, Status C
  • Status A opsbar-sequence value was 100, Status B opsbar-sequence value was 300
  • I set opsbar-sequence value for Status C to 200
  • Status dropdown menu now shows: Status A, Status C, Status B

Thank you again for your very clear and helpful suggestion!

Like Danielle Sinclair likes this
3 votes
Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2020

You need to open the workflow editor and select a transition (the line connecting two states). Then you can set a property to this transition. Properties have a name and a value. The name should be 

opsbar-sequence

The value should be a number. Usually 10, 20, 30 and so on. When each transition has a sequence number then the buttons will show up in this order. Transitions without a sequence number are shown in the default order. Whatever the default order is. 

In Jira Server this works fine. In Jira Cloud there might be a bug. I only use the Server edition. 

Or Go August 20, 2020

Thanks a lot for you help @Florian 

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Hi Or, you used to be able to do this in the older issue view. However, in the new UI it no longer works as stated in the document you reference...

opsbar.jpg

As the above snippet from the doc states JSWCLOUD-13864 has been open regarding this bug. I haven't seen much traction on this and AFAIK the problem still exists though I have not personally tried lately.

Or Go August 20, 2020

Thanks a lot for you help @Jack Brickey 

Tom Del Otero
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 27, 2023

I have just confirmed today 1/27/2022 that this does not work. Seems the status dropdown list is in the order in which statuses get created. Baffling that something as simple as ordering of lists could be so complicated in a seasoned product like Jira...

I did find an Issue Statuses menu which seems to allow ordering, but does not seem to work for me. Clicking on order arrows does not do anything or even through a message.

I see this issue has been reported already with a link to vote on this! 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Why-can-t-I-reorder-some-of-the-statuses-in-the-issue-gt/qaq-p/1726840

Screenshot 2023-01-27 130447.png

Like # people like this
Islam Ziane June 16, 2023

today, the use of :

opsbar-sequence

worked well for me in my sandbox, but i think i'll use the order option, it will take me longer but it's better i think

Like Carlos Garcia Navarro likes this
0 votes
Gabriel July 19, 2024

This doesn't seem to work with Jira Cloud Kanban boards, or am I doing something wrong? 

0 votes
Brandon Barski August 17, 2023

I'm having the same issue in my Jira Cloud instance. I've tried both suggested fixes mentioned above and neither one works for me. This is apparently still a bug.

Brandon Barski August 17, 2023

Actually, I realized that I forgot to publish my new draft. Once I did that, the method using opsbar-sequence worked for me!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events