Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my issues created via email not mapping my fields to the correct fields in JIRA?

JayJuan Jones January 20, 2022

Hello Everyone! 

I am having some issues figuring out why when users create issues via email they are not being mapped to the correct fields in JIRA and coming into the system looking like this:

email requests updated.png

Are there any settings I need to change to make sure these are actually mapped to the correct fields? When I went to the email settings I am only seeing the actual mailbox settings and nothing related to the fields, mapping, or forms. 

Please helpppppppp! 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Italo Qualisoni January 20, 2022

Hey @JayJuan Jones ,

Email integration only populate summary, description and attachments and reporter. There is no out of the box field mapping feature available.

You could try to create an Automation rule that extracts information from your Description and populate your fields. This will work if your tickets follow some pattern.

Although it's possible, it might be not be an easy task. Usually when integrating two systems we recommend using REST API over Email, so you can have the mapping your are looking for.

JayJuan Jones January 20, 2022

gotcha, thanks @Italo Qualisoni! I have a few questions then, so how difficult would it be to get the REST API set up? Also, when you say create an Automation rule that extracts information from your Description and populate your fields, can you give me an example so I have a better idea of what you mean? 

Italo Qualisoni January 20, 2022

@JayJuan Jones ,

It's not easy to evaluate how difficult it's to implement using REST API, it definitely requires a custom development from your side using the JIRA Public REST API. See below an example on how to create a request type using REST.

About Automation for JIRA you can learn more here  in this document: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/global

Some others questions that people are trying to extract values from description into custom fields:

As I said it's not easy because you will need to use Smart Values with regex to extract what you need, and depending on the description it can be hard to do.

JayJuan Jones January 21, 2022

gotcha, thanks for all the info...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events