Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied change pop up and informing requester

Tylor Seastrum July 24, 2024

Goal:

My objective is to capture the reasoning behind a decline from the approver and communicate it back to the requester who submitted the request.

Desired Functionality:

I'm looking to set up Jira automation to achieve the following:

1. Prompt for Decline Reason: When an approver transitions the issue to a "Declined" status, a pop-up window or similar prompt should appear, requiring them to enter a reason for the decline.

2. Capture and Store Reason: The provided decline reason needs to be captured and stored within Jira. Ideally, this information should be easily accessible for future reference.

3. Inform Requester: The decline reason captured from the approver should be communicated back to the requester who submitted the change request. This could be achieved through a notification or by adding the reason to the issue description/comment section.

Possible Approaches (Open to Suggestions):

• I've heard about using Jira automation with post functions and potentially scripting. Can someone elaborate on how this approach might work to achieve the desired functionality?
  • Are there alternative methods or best practices recommended by the Atlassian community for capturing decline reasons and informing requesters in Jira workflows?

My workflow looks like so:

fb19b220-c355-4e60-886f-965dda492204.jpg

Brief overview:

I have designed the forms to work only on one form and one workflow. Within this there are three paths a request can go through:

Standard (the request will only go through the Peer Reviewer Needed
Normal Change: The request will go through Peer Reviewer Needed and Manager Review Needed
and finally Emergency Change: The request will go through the previous two as well as the CAB Review Needed.

While basic automations can send emails or add comments on decline, these lack detail. Forcing an explanation, I considered triggering a comment upon decline, but this wouldn't guarantee the approver adds a reason – they could simply decline without explanation. My goal is to enforce a specific reason before decline, capturing it for the requester.

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events