It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do you resolve or close an issue in a next-gen project?

Our team are long time Trello users, and this past week we decided to try using Jira due to some of the benefits it would bring us.

We're using a next-gen project, and so far have everything working how we'd want/expect. We have enabled roadmap, backlog, estimation, and pages.

One thing we just can't seem to work out is how to (in the Trello venacular) "archive" an issue, i.e. "resolve" or simply "close" an issue.

I feel like I'm being really stupid here as I just can't find what I assume is a very simple option. When I click the menu button on an issue I can see the option to delete, but I can't see any options to resolve or close. When I select delete, the dialogue box asks,

You're about to permanently delete this issue, its comments and attachments, and all of its data. If you're not sure, you can resolve or close this issue instead.

Can you even resolve or close issues in a next-gen project? Is there a setting somewhere else to enable this functionality?

7 answers

1 accepted

Either the language in the "Delete" dialog is incorrect or this has to be an incoming feature. I must admit, not having the ability to close or resolve issues (i.e. duplicates) is really disappointing.

Like # people like this

Does anyone know if Atlassian is working on letting users Resolve an issue in a NextGen project?

not sure if it's on the Road Map or not.

But current functionality is to drag the issue that is resolved over to the Done column on the Project Board and the item, is then completed/closed...

This is disappointing. I'm having to delete tickets rather than closing them, which makes Jira a not-very-useful way of finding tickets. As others have said, it's a weirdly obvious behaviour to have not implemented.

Like Ross McKelvie likes this

In the "New Issues View" you can edit an Issue and change the Status to "Done"

Hi Dwight,

can you tell me where exactly that is possible? The new Issue View is activated but where exactly can I change the resolution? The Status I can change but the case is what if something is not Done but won't be done as it is not reproducible or won't be fixed? Thanks for clarifying

If you open the issue, in the top right corner is "Status" you can use the Drop Down and change Status to 'Done"

Hi Dwight, I do not have this option. Just "Done" but I do not want to mark it as done (it is not done, but it is a duplicate or won't fix, etc.", I want to mar it as done and don't have it on my scrum board.

Screenshot at Aug 14 15-56-02.png

You can edit it and Delete it....does that work?

any idea how I can manage to close an issue and not mark it as done?

Are you looking for "Closed" but "UnResolved" ??

Not sure how to do that in Nextgen

correct, that is what I need and I think the person who started this thread meant.

JIRA Classic had this option; we need to request it be put on the RoadMap..

This has been done already multiple times (for over half a year now), funny that such a commonly used feature is not present.
Thought you might have found a way to do this :)

thanks for your help though (y)

Like # people like this

I managed to figure out a workaround with the Automation for Jira app. It works with next-gen projects, so I just set up a simple trigger to set the resolution to "Won't Do" and it worked perfectly! :)

I'm using the free version of the app: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215670/automation-for-jira-cloud-lite

@Sheila Hippert can you share the details of your trigger and workflow please?

@Adam Sigel Sure. This is for a project our support team uses to track feature requests. We have an issue status for "Won't Do" that needed a "Won't Do" resolution. The automation is simple: 

• When: Value changes for [Status]
  • If: Status equals [Won't Do]
  • Then: Edit issue fields [Resolution = Won't Do]
Like Fabien Deborde likes this

@Sheila Hippert how did you get a Status "Won't Do" - do you have to create a column on the board with that name? Otherwise I cannot find a way to create a status

I have to chime in here.  It is ridiculous to think that everything can just be marked as DONE.  There are different types of DONE (as others have mentioned).  Such as "could not replicate", "will not fix" - to name the ones I can think of.  "DONE" is a specific state which is a variation of "CLOSED" - as are the others mentioned.

This really needs to be a feature as I have inherited a backlog that needs this type of treatment and I have been polluting sprints with these to ensure they are at least being tracked in some way.

I like next-gen better than the previous templates but this definitely needs to be fixed.

@Stephen Melrose The last column of the board is your resolution or done column.  The issues in this column with a checkmark will be removed from the column after 14 days.

How do you put the checkmark on an issue?

It happens automatically when the issue is in the done column (The most right column).

Aha! I didn't see the check because the issue was Flagged. When I removed the Flag, the check appeared.
Thanks!

Like Jason Stork likes this

I do believe if an issue is flagged it cannot be marked done and will not disappear.  Now that you have removed the flag, I believe the two-week clock starts now.

I wonder if anyone could help - I am in the process of setting a project up using the Kanban Next Gen board. I understand that "done" tasks will automatically be removed from the board after two weeks if untouched. Please could you let me know if they will also be removed from the board section of the backlog list after two weeks as well? I'm concerned that I will be left with a long list of "done" items on here too. 

Thanks!

Like Jason Stork likes this

It will be removed from the board section of the backlog.

You drag issues to the  "Done" Column on your board.  When you close your Sprint they are removed the Board...and are "Done"

Afterward, If you run a query against your project with status = "Done" those issues will be retrieved 

That's great if you're using scrum. 
What happens to "done" issues on a Kanban board? Do they just stay there forever?

Like Heikki Leivo likes this

The issues will be removed from the column after 14 days.  After the two weeks, there will be a link in the bottom of the column that will allow you to view your old issues.

Like # people like this

Can you set this to be removed after after 7 days?  We are working in Kanban and review weekly 

Like Edwin Allan likes this

No.  This is a Jira setting.

for some reason tickets in last column on my kanban board aren't being removed after 14 days, any ideas?

If you have updated them in any way, that resets the 14-day clock.

In the "New Issues View" you can edit an Issue and change the Status to "Done"

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 12.04.09 PM.png

Cards that sit in the Done column for 14 days will automatically be archived. I don't think this "rule" can be edited to my knowledge. 

0 votes
Dan Davidson I'm New Here Friday

Does anyone know when/if this is going to be fixed so that issues can be closed? We can have 20-30 "done" tickets sitting around at any one time and it makes it difficult to see the wood for the trees when managing backlog etc. Waiting 14 days is not a great "solution" and I don't see why there can't be a way to close off manually.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

We are reinventing the Sprint burndown for next-gen projects!

Do you have a hard time meeting sprint commitments?  Do you want to know the accuracy of your sprint’s estimations?  Do you want to have an easy way to report your team...

5,820 views 6 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you