how to mention a JIRA issue?

Hi,

I saw that Atlassian Support often mention othher JIRA issues in their issues. How do you do that? In the documentation I only found how to mention a user.

Thank you, best regards

12 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Davide,

Please put <ticket no.|URL of the ticket> in square braces  in the comments.

Let me know if this solves your purpose.

I don't think this is the most modern and efficient way to mention a JIRA issue in a comment.

Just writing the issue code is enough, JIRA recognizes it and makes a link of it. It will not create a full pledged issue link though.

Martin,

I tried the same way but it is displying link as a text.

I want to link other issue in a comment. 

Please suggest if you know any other way

In my previous company just typing the issue code into the comment created a shortcut with summary on hover, and also automatically created an issue link. This saved A LOT of time. I'm an admin on the jira instance in a new company and I don't see a way to set this up - was it broken with an update or something?

A plugin or a way to configure the desired behaviour would be great. Manually making a link is not a nice answer to this question.

I have the same experience as Chris.

I work in two different Jira instances - one from my own company and one from a customers company.

In my companys Jira I can write issue number i.e. "ABC-123" and I get a link to the issue and shows a status. See image below:

Link_To_Issue.png

I my customers Jira I get nothing of this.

I understand this is settings or a plug-in. Can someone help me how to set ut this in my customers Jira?

Richard, I updated with this comment #M242463 on how to get part of the behaviour I want. Make sure you use the wiki renderer as Francis suggests #M241346

Chris, I have checked and WIki render is used in both Comment and Description.

I have tried with square brackets from differnt views, but it does not work in any place (in my customer Jira).

Thanks for you time Chris.

Hello Davide,

You should be able to do it by pasting the issue URL on the ticket or by mentioning the ticket key, for example:

Let's say the issue key is JSP-0001 and the URL is http://mycompany.atlassian.net/browse/JSP-0001

In this case you should be able to mention the ticket by pasting the whole URL of the ticket or by mentioning only the ticket key, so JIRA will understand the mention and create the link to the other issue.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you, Davide.

I hope it helps

Eduardo

I've tried adding "[key-num]" as well as "[full url]" link styles to my JIRA issue comments, and am not having any luck getting nice looking issue summaries inline. It's just creating plain old links for me. I've read this thread and there doesn't appear to be a complete answer to the question of how this is set up in a cloud-based JIRA account. It certainly isn't working for me in our default config... Thanks,

Dave

## Just put story or bug or task name similar to what you see in the link. 

for eg. if your link is

https://goeuro.atlassian.net/browse/COROBO-502

then in the comments or description just use. 

COROBO-502

Thanks

Could you check what the renderer of the comment field is.

* Admin -> Field Configurations -> The field configuration of your project -> Find Comments

It should be wiki renderer

2018-03-05_17-28-08 (1).png

The wiki renderer will identify issuekey's and convert it to a link

I figured out that if I open an issue in its own tab it works when I type the issuecode inside square brackets into a comment. This doesn't work if I have an issue open in backlog view and try to comment in there. This is with the wiki renderer turned on for comments.

What I saw in another installation before, was that you could achieve this without the square brackets and in all comments no matter what the view. How might that be done do you know ?

Hi Davide,

A simple copy and paste of the JIRA issue URL should be enough.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41017

This text writer will translate the information accordingly.

Hope it helps!

Andre

Andre, could you tell us how you are able to do this ? In JIRA v6.2.4, when I paste a complete URL to an issue, the only thing I see as a result is a link containing the text of the adress... (while writing CC-233 result in a link CC-233, with the only text CC-233).

Hi Andre and the others, the feature that JIRA automatically adds the summary and the status when you copy and paste of the JIRA issue URL is cool. In a normal JIRA this does´t work. Does anyone know a plugin which adds this feature? Thanks in Advance. Regards from Germany, Julian

I second Julian's question. I'd also like to know how the summary and status is displayed. In my instance, adding the issue key to a comment only results in a clickable link to the issue

Pasting the URL doesn't do that for me either - it just displays as a clickable link. Putting in the issue key makes it into a clickable link to the issue and shows the ticket status along with it. This is the closest I've got on this but would love to see the ticket title show up as well like in @Andre Borzzatto's comment.

Let me try this here: JRA-41017 or https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41017

It works here if I paste the URL. Not sure if it's a setting or a plugin that we don't have on our cloud Atlassian instance.

I would like this too. Has no one figure out how to do this on a server instance?

@Andre Borzzatto, Seeing as you answered, do you know why this isn't working for us?

I also noticed the @mentions render differently. These have a box but mine is just a hyperlinked name. Could it be the same feature?

Yeah I love the fact that the title appears in the mini-link, it doesn't do that on our cloud instance and it's annoying because I have to type the title of each referred issues.

Hi,

Any one has update on this? When I mention an issue, only code + status are displayed, not the title.

Thanks,

Trung

If I recall correctly  fancy links was a plugin you add to JIRA ?

@Andre Borzzatto I'd also be very interested in learning how to make our JIRA Server instance display issue mentions like this in comments. Currently all ours does is display the URL with a hyperlink to the issue (instead of the nice graphic with the title and resolved status).

This doesn't work for me.

For me on the 1st try it didn't worked neither (on cloud), then copied full URL, put that into brackets[] , url still shown. Then changed to issue ID and then it worked smile, even without brackets[]

Putting now into another comment now working ok. But I see there is some problem, there is green notification about updating data, but also with the RED empty one notification box (no text shown inside)

If you're working on issue JRA-41017, then simply writing the issue key (no url or anything else) should work. (issue description appears in the tooltip on mouseover)

Re: the inclusion of the issue key and description above using the URL - This Answers forum has different functionality; not the case for your standard JIRA software.

Hi Eduardo, Andre,

does this work only with atlassian issue? If I paste the url of my JIRA instance's issues, I do not see the same behaviour. For example: https://sideup.atlassian.net/browse/SAAS-809

Hi niroshabandaru, thanks for your feedback. I cannot do that in Jira, but it work in Confluence and here .This is the result: SAAS-809: different from the one I used to see when Atlassian mention issues, though.

There is configuration in JIRA on how tickets should look like (General Configuration > Advance Settings > jira.projectkey.pattern". Check if you are using this pattern in your JIRA Comments.

Hi Gabriele,

I cannot see any Advance Settings in the General Configurations. In the Atlassian documentation I found that The Advanced Settings button is only visible if you have the JIRA System Administrators global permission. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Configuring+JIRA+Options), but in my instance there is no trace of JIRA System Administrators  permission (neither the administrator who created the instance has it). Could you please tell me how can I modify the Advance Settings ?

Thanks, regards

Hi @Andre Borzzatto

How do you enable inline summary?

Maybe something went wrong over the week-end with the Atlassian cloud instance of JIRA & Confluence, but it seems like I lost my inline link's summary for a peculiar reason.

If I look at a JIRA Description, I get this :

jira_issue_summary_01.png

and under Confluence I get this :

jira_issue_summary_02.png

Before we installed confluence, the link summary in JIRA was perfect and verbose, suddenly or after a potential bad move of one of our admin, our JIRA's links are broken.

I can't find anywhere to configure them.  I don't have jira.projectkey.pattern in my advance settings and no way to add any.

Any help on this will be really welcome laugh

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

112 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you