can I create an approval with validator function? Edited

I tried but it doesnt work.

after config the approval function, when approver click the approve button, the status will change without doing validator checking.

2 answers

It would have been much easier to help you if you could give us some information.

Is this Apporve button a workflow transition?

Can you please show us your code?

Thanks!

Shaakunthala

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 1.10.20 PM.pngthe approval is set in the status,

the validator is set in the transition(IT approved).

However, the validator doesn't work. Jira ignores the validator.

This is new to me, as I haven't used ServiceDesk.

I tried to re-create your problem, and instead of a simple validator I used a script validator. 

Selection_137.png

After approving a test issue, validator status was still shown as "Has not run yet.", which means JIRA bypasses validators in case of approvals.

So, the answer to your question is No. A workaround may be possible - but there will be compromises.

Shaakunthala

Susan Hauth Community Champion Aug 01, 2017

Did you try using a condition instead of a validator?

tried. condition doesnt work too.

Although approvals and workflow transitions look visually similar to the end user, JIRA internally organizes approvals in a different way (meta data tags in workflow XML rather than action). I think this gives an indication that conditions and validators won't work here.

What you can do here is, forget approvals feature and create your own transitions called Approve/ Decline. If you have Script Runner add-on you can write a custom validator for 'x number of approvers' feature too.

Thanks.

Shaakunthala

But I want to let the approver receive email to notify him to approve. the approver is set by the customer using custom field.

How can i do that?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,081 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you