blacklisted ip

Mykola Poleheshko June 14, 2022

I noticed that I cannot open any atlassian site from my home machine. The same is for Slack, but they wrote "Based on your IP address, it looks like you are in a country or region that has been legally restricted from accessing Slack." at least

My address is 93.126.122.238 . I suspect it was mistakenly assumed as embargoed region (Donetsk), but I live in Kyiv. I really need access to these sites. How can I unblacklist my address?

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
bmcalary
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2022

@Mykola Poleheshko Ben from the Atlassian Network Engineering team.

We and many other Cloud SaaS organisations rely on a geo-location database provided by Maxmind https://www.maxmind.com/en/home .

You can check where Maxmind believes an IP address is geo-located using their tool here: https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

The IP you provided (93.126.122.238) is determined by Maxmind as being located in:
Mariupol,
Donetsk Oblast,
Ukraine,
Europe

Unfortunately, (with great personal sadness) we have been instructed by our Risk, Compliance and Legal teams to prevent access from the following regions of Ukraine, in order to comply with US law.

- Crimea

- Donetsk Oblast

- Luhansk Oblast

In order to unblock access, you must submit a Maxmind GeoIP Data Correction by following the instructions here: https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-data-correction-request

Mykola Poleheshko June 14, 2022

Thanks @bmcalary for your exhaustive answer. I was not sure whose database is used for geolocation.

I've already sent a correction request, let see if it helps (I hope).

Like # people like this
Mykola Poleheshko June 17, 2022

It works! Today maxmind merged my request, so jira, confluence and slack finally started working without VPN. Thanks again!

Like # people like this
bmcalary
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2022

I'm so glad to hear that Mykola.

Best of luck to you.

My heart goes out to Ukraine.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It is probably the embargo on Russian-owned/controlled IP ranges that is affecting you.

Your IP address is determined by your Internet Service Provider, not your physical location (I have a long boring story about why iPlayer didn't work properly on the wifi on one of the UK's busiest railway lines because the trains were in Germany according to all the geo-location services) , so I'd guess your ISP has been blocked, not your region.

You'll need your ISP to get themselves unsanctioned, or you could change ISPs.  If that's not going to happen, then your other option is to start using a VPN, one that has end points that are not blocked.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Hi @Mykola Poleheshko welcome to the Atlassian community.

I heard that the Atlassian admin with org. admin rights can whitelist an IP for specific Atlassian product.

Kindly raise a request with Atlassian supportunder the correct product category.

Suggest an answer