It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why don't I get an email notification if I @ mention myself in a Jira Ticket?

Hi,

I'd like to be able to @ mention myself in a ticket and get an email notification, just as if someone ELSE did so.

Is there some way to do this?

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Change within your personal settings the option: "Notifications of your changes" to "Notify Me".  It'll notify you for every change you make also

Nevermind, looks like @robert Mugabuhamye has the correct answer.

This seems to be correct, however it is far noisier than past behavior. It would preferable if there was an option to have it only notify you on your own self mentions.

Like jo astley likes this

^ which is how Jira notifications used to work until recently

Like # people like this

hello @Shawn Matthews .

If you check the answer of Atlassian on this thread, it is stipulated that the author of mentions are not part of the mentions recipients. 
Not sure you can do that in Jira.
Regards

That thread is confluence so I'm not sure that's relevant?

My team seems to feel this is a change in behavior.

Like Patrick Cavallario likes this

I agree with Todd - in Jira this is absolutely a new thing.  I used that feature all the time because it then sends you an email with a nicely bundled and summarized Comment that you can then do a 1-time forward to others outside of Jira, such as vendors or internal folks with no Jira login.  

Is there some way i can get that back ?

Mark, it's absolutely a recent change in behavior. For 8+ years, I have @ mentioned myself in ticket comments during meetings so that there's a To-Do notification in my inbox when I get back to my desk. This functionality disappeared a few weeks ago. No idea if that was intentional but I would very much like that feature back.

This "question" is marked as "answer accepted" though, so perhaps we need to open up a bug ticket (if that's a thing)?

Like jo astley likes this

Hi Sarah,

I tested this out a few days ago and it's working again for my team mates and I. Maybe log out and log back in to see if it will do the same for you all?

Hope this helps,

Shawn

Shawn, your message gave me so much hope, but I still don't receive email notifications of my own @ mentions, even after logging out of and back into Jira.

Sorry to hear it. FYI, we're running the Cloud version of Jira. Not sure if it's the same for you all.

Yep. Same here, Shawn.

Todd opened a new issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73112

I am using jira Server 7.10
I can Mention myself in the coment with @... and I get a notification mail

image.png

@Shawn Matthews it looks like @Alexander Pappert  is right.
Maybe enabling the personal settings @Randy Ho mentioned will work.

Looks like @Randy Ho has it right. Thanks!

The actual full story is:

* 6 years ago a jira issue was opened that considered this a bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-34717

* It was fixed ~ September 4th 2019

* We all started noticing the "bug fix" which is more a regression

* Hilda Chkwu on 2019-10-04 opens up https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73112 to put them back

If you're experiencing it working, either you have the all notifications preference flagged or you're lucky. Enjoy your luck.

Hope this is useful for anyone else. Please Vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73112 if you want this back. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

867 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you