Which custom field type uses Jira markup?

Mark McD November 1, 2011

I'd like to set up a custom field in Jira that uses the same markup syntax as the standard issue description.

Which one is it?

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2011

Use a "Free Text" field.

You then need to go into the "field configuration" for the project(s) and check that the field has the "wiki markup" renderer set, rather than "text".

David_Schokker August 13, 2012

Thanks, this was most helpful for my initial setup of JIRA. It should be like this by default.

Michelle Welden June 28, 2013

Thank you, this was exactly what I needed!

glennrees October 19, 2016

Thanks, this helped me out wink

1 vote
Michael Enright August 13, 2015

In the newest version of JIRA 6.4, I don't see a Free Text Field (Unlimited) , only Text Field Multiline. The Text Field Multiline does not have any of the JIRA markup included. Did they remove this or am I missing something?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2015

Well, posting on a two year old question isn't really that useful - you're relying on the watchers to pick up, and things have changed in the last two years. Text field multi-line is the newer name for "free text field (unlimited)" and it does have wiki markup - check the field configuration for the renderer in use.

Michael Enright August 13, 2015

Thanks, I actually just posted it as a new question seconds before I got the notification you responded here.

DavidF April 12, 2016

@Michael Enright, can you provide a link to your question?

0 votes
Deleted user June 28, 2013

In the newer versions of JIRA you must change the renderer in Field Configurations tab. It's still a Free Text Field (Unlimited), but you wont find a checkbox in the actual fields configurate or edit screen.

Suggest an answer