What fields are searched on when searching "my requests" in the customer portal?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

I can't find any documentation on this. 

When performing a quick search on the Jira side it seems that all text fields and comments are searched.

This is NOT the case when searching from the portal using 'my requests'.  Comments are not being searched.

This is a complete and utter showstopper for my client.  An agent needs to enter a PO # in comments and the user needs to be able to search on this. 

If comments are not searchable how can this be made to happen without having a PO # field exposed on the portal?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

@Rob Horan

i am not sure precisely what is searched via portal. However, I just did a test in my Cloud portal and was able to find text in comments. I went to Requests and All then successfully searched for “zebra” which I had previously placed in a comment on a single issue. Maybe it is different in Server but certainly would expect comments to be searched.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Cloud works differently then.  I found this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Customer-Portal-My-Request-Search-feature-rule/qaq-p/860483

This search field does not have much in the way of documentation about it.  There is actually very little that you can configure here.

Inside the customer portal, you can search for your own requests, or those shared with you.  You are correct that this search is limited to the issuekey (reference) and the Summary.  And again, you are correct that this search is using a full word searching, it is not using a like parameter to obtain partial word searches.  Nor is it using word-stemming that Jira Core searching in the issue navigator has.

There is an existing feature request to improve the search in the customer portal over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1544 I would recommend voting and watching that issue for updates. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

yuck :-(

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

Very much yuck.  This is a big problem for one of my clients.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2019

Maybe it’s time to stand up that cloud instance you have always wanted. ;-)

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2019

Well there are two things blocking that.

1 - its not my instance, its for a client.

2 - ugh, cloud.  White to the point of being blinding, UI all screwed up, and no ability to have a test/staging instance.  Yay, test all the things on production.  Totally safe, thanks.  And pay more for this?  WHAT A BARGAIN!

Suggest an answer