Watch all issues in a project

Gabor Szinyei September 3, 2019

Hi,

Is there an easy way to watch all existing issues in a project and have everyone in the project to be a watcher of any new issues created by default?

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2019

@Gabor Szinyei ,

What you want to achieve by adding every one  as watcher ? Do you want to send notification for all  ? If yes, you can do it by adding them in the notification schema. 

Add all the users in project role and associate this project role in the notification schema. 

I hope this will help you.

Refer https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-a-notification-scheme-776636401.html

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response! Yes, we have a small team and I would like that everyone in a team knows that there was a new issue created or there is an update to the issue. 

Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2019

So you can have your own notification schema. In that you can add your team members (you can add the project roles which they are part of) in the events like issue created, commented,generic..etc.  Refer below link it provide more info

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-a-notification-scheme-776636401.html

Thank you very much! I will give it a go!

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2019

Beware of emailing everyone for everything. Based on my experience you'll be getting requests to turn the fire hose off. 

You might be right on this. Do you have any other suggestion on keep a small team updated (automatically) with new issues, comments on existing one etc. We are talking about 5-6 people here.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2019

I'll give you the same advise I do for everyone:

I have found the default notification scheme is overkill everywhere I've setup JIRA. If you haven't setup the default user profile to exclude sending updates they make I suggest you change the default and have all the users modify their profile.  Talk to your users to see what they want. Most reporters want create, close, and maybe one or two other milestones statuses depending on the issue type. You can easily create custom events to put in the transition post functions for those events. If you allow people other than the assignee to work on the issue the assignee may want notification of things they do, especially update and comment. 

Like # people like this
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2019

Hi @Gabor Szinyei ,

As mentioned by @Joe Pitt , this is solution available out of the box. 

Alternatively you can use third party plugin like autowatch for jira , can help you on this requirement.

Please refer below link

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216045/autowatch-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

for more info

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Add-a-default-watcher-to-projects/qaq-p/829708

Like Gabor Szinyei likes this
Gabor Szinyei September 5, 2019

Thank you both for the quick and useful answers. I will follow your suggestions. After all it is a small team so exchanging such info is not a big deal.

Suggest an answer