Add a default watcher to projects?

Becky Turnbull June 25, 2018

Is there a way to set default watchers for whole projects (include all issues)? I know that creator of an issues automatically becomes a watcher of that issue. Is there a possibility to have every new issue in a project assigned default watchers (a manager for eaxmple)?

4 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2018

Hello,

If a user becomes a watcher, the user can get notifications on certain events, which are defined for watchers in the project notification scheme. That is why you should not add the default user as a watcher, you can create a new role and call it "Default Watchers". Then define this role for the same events as for watchers in the project notification scheme. Add your default users to this role. Users in this role will have the same functionality as if they were watchers for issues.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2018
Becky Turnbull June 25, 2018

Thanks Ollie,

I had a look and have installed it, however, I cannot find any documentation on how to set it up etc? And searching it seems there have been some issues with this plug in after an upgrade. 

Any tips on getting it set up? I am very new to JIRA so step for a newbie would be amazing. :) 

Thanks

Becky

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2018

Hi @Becky Turnbull,

If the above plug-in is not available, you can also use the following two plug-ins

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213851/watch-it-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216045/autowatch-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

You can also use the modify workflow configuration to add default watcher, or configure settings notification to automatically send emails to specific people when new issues are created.

Hope it helps.

Fleur November 4, 2019

HI everyone, 

@Ollie Guan or anyone else, could you please be a little more specific on the possibility to  configure settings notification to automatically send emails to specific people when new issues are created?

I am looking for an easy way to be added as a watcher to all new issues created on a specific swimlane. 

many thanks in advance! 

Like Dave Rossow likes this
2 votes
Ravi Shah March 25, 2020

Hi All,

I was able to add a default watcher by simply creating an automation rule at the event (trigger) of New Issue Created, followed by certain conditions which are called components in automation rule config. No Plugins are required to do so and we can choose this rules at global level or at project level as well. BTW the rules are very cool to do lot of stuff automatically. 

HTH :)

artem_myshko March 26, 2020

any reference on how to accomplish it?

Ravi Shah April 3, 2020

Under your jira product you should find a "Project Automation", which will allow you to configure automation rules.

0 votes
Soren Nielsen November 13, 2023

cloud or server version?

Suggest an answer