Using Script runner for first time

Tushar Jira February 7, 2018

I want to use Script Runner plugin in Cloud version of Jira. As I am not familiar with ScriptRunner.

1. Where do I write my scripts in Jira using the plugin?

2. I want to create a Scripted custom field, but not able to see that option when I create custom field.

3. How do I write Scripts in Scripted field?

Please help.

Thanks in advance. 

2 answers

2 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2018

Hey @Tushar Jira

If you are looking to create a Scripted Field you will need to create the field by adding it in the custom field area. Then go to add-ons and Script Fields. You can create the script fields from here as well.Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 1.51.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-07 at 1.51.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-07 at 1.52.27 PM.png

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2018

You will edit a scripted field by clicking the cog wheel on the right if you have an existing script

There are some built in scripted fields you can choose from. If you want a custom script you will select Create a new Script Field. It will bring you to the below area to create your own script. inline script area is where you put your script. See example below blank script field.

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.35.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.35.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.33.43 PM.png

Hi @Brittany Wispell

Thanks for the help.

This is what I am getting as options in Add on section. Please see the screenshot attached.

2.PNG

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2018

Hey @Tushar Jira looks like ScriptRunner cloud does not support scripted fields. 

Script Console you can test scripts, you can search the built-in scripts to see if there are options you can use there. You can also do a mix of listener & escalation services to simply set a custom field value if needed. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Tushar Jira February 8, 2018

Hi @Brittany Wispell

Your help is much appreciated.

Just wondering in any case is this due to the fact that currently I am trying this on my free JIRA trail (7 days) and not on actual production one? 

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2018

Unfortunately no. If you were to use full Jira cloud, there will still not be the functionality of ScriptedFields with ScriptRunner. 

Here's some documentation on what it can do though. I know there is a way of using listeners and escalation services to achieve something similar to scriptedfields. 

http://scriptrunner-docs.connect.adaptavist.com/jiracloud/

0 votes
Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2018

Hi @Ash

I am not able to see option to create scripted custom field. Please see the screenshot below.

Is it that we cannot create scripted custom field in cloud version of JIRA?

Also I cannot see "Admin --> Script Fields"

a.PNG

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2018

Click on the scripted field it will ask you to enter scripted field details. Hope you have admin permissions to create custom fields.

Hi @Ash

As highlighted in red circle, I am not getting Scripted field in the list where we have to select type of custom field.

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2018

@Tushar Jira Did you add the Scriptrunner plugin?. If you add the plugin to your JIRA, it will show up in the advanced custom fields or even you can search for the scripted field in search box.

Tushar Jira February 8, 2018

Hi @Ash

I have added the plugin. Still cant see.

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2018

Suggest an answer