Using Custom Fields in automation

Robin Stemmers April 23, 2019

Hi All

As a newbie, I am trying to include a variety of custom fields we created into a basic send email automation.

Under Automation on Jira Cloud

Trigger - Approval Completed

Then do this: Send Email to reporter (example - myself)

So the standard variables work

I don't have access to additional tools or plugins

Is there a simple way to pull in this custom field information

Support Team is the field name

The custom ID is 10051

Sample

image.png

Result

image.png

2 answers

0 votes
praveen jaiswal December 4, 2023

Jira has support for using custom fields in Automation rules. I had created a custom field QA and I tried trigger of 'Any update of the field' along with action Send email to QA.

It is working nicely. You may wish to google and make the email look better by including URL , issue key etc.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hi Robin,

You may want to try ${issue.customfield_10051}. This may pull that information for you in the email.

Hello Bryan

Thanks for the feedback.  I have tried that before and it didn't work.

I tried it again now - incase i did something wrong - i still don't get the information

it appears as follows in my email

image.png

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hi Robin,

Sorry that didn't work. I was hoping that maybe one of those two items would work. It seems that this is something that is not supported at this time from what I can tell.

Hi

Do you have any other suggestions?

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

As of right now I do not. I will look around and see if I can locate anything else.

Thank you

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

From my knowledge and what I have seen this doesn't appear capable out of the box in Service Desk Automation. There may be some plugins that have automation in them that could accomplish adding custom fields to an email.

Here is an Atlassian document on Service Desk Automation with some other third party automation tools that may work for you.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-desk-evaluator-resources/jira-service-desk-automation

Lucia Calderon July 9, 2020

I use {{issue.fields.customfield_XXXX}} and it works in my automation, I hope it helps. 

Like # people like this
NGJ Netrunner June 13, 2021

Thanks @Lucia Calderon

Solved for me!

KC Wong July 7, 2023

When you can only refer to a custom field by its ID (customfield_xxxxx) it becomes a serious problem in both Data Center and Cloud.

Your custom field ID in sandbox will not be the same as the ID when you go create it in production (or between different environments). All your configurations and scripts need very careful manual remapping.

Suggest an answer