Unable to re-index in JIRA Cloud

Adrian Wedd May 3, 2018

According to https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/search-indexing-818578839.html I should be able to :

1. Choose the Jira icon (, or ) > Settings > System
  2. Select Advanced > Indexing to open the Indexing page.
  3. This page allows you to choose one of the following two re-indexing options:

• Background re-index — This will re-index all issues in the background.
    • Lock Jira and rebuild index — This will delete and rebuild all indices, including the comment and change history indices.

I don't see Indexing under Advanced in Settings > System, despite being a member of the jira-administrators group.

Has something changed and the documentation doesn't yet match?

9 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2018

Reindexing has been deprecated in Jira Cloud. Kindly have a look at this thread:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-t-re-index-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/613607

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2018

You do not need to reindex Jira Cloud anymore

Like # people like this
Adrian Wedd May 3, 2018

Thanks Alexey. I remember Atlassian's documentation being less deprecated.

George Singletary June 19, 2019

Thanks @Alexey Matveev but if I make a change to a custom field, and the change doesn't show up on a screen, how do I fix that if I can't re-index? Is there another mechanism? 

Like # people like this
Evan Wolf June 20, 2019

Same Question? 

I've been waiting a half hour for my project key to update.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Harber February 5, 2020

I have this same problem.  We really need to answer this.

Like # people like this
George Stefanis April 24, 2020

this still is a problem for me as well - updated many fields and also noted that logged time is not reporting in apps like Tempo Timesheets - but when i open the logged work issue and then run my tempo report again, the data appears - whatever this automatic reindexing thing for cloud is that you claim works for cloud automagically now - is NOT working...

Like # people like this
Anton Dorofeev May 26, 2020

Same problem here. Full text search in comments is not working properly for me , I suppose a re-index would fix this, but there's no way to trigger it.

Adnan Vilic July 28, 2020

Same problem. I have set made changes to "affected version" in almost all issues, but under "Project Settings" -> "Versions" it says there are no issues linked to a release.

Andreas Lärkfeldt September 25, 2020

+1

Jamie McCollum September 29, 2020

Absolutely a problem! Stuck waiting, unable to provide an ETA do anyone depending on changes...

Paul van Rijswijk December 15, 2020

I have a problem, using JQL I see the story,. Going to the KanBan board I don't see the story, but it is counted in the column. So I have an empty column saing there is 1 story. 

Search the internet for a solution -> do a re-index...

Like # people like this
Michael Gordon January 24, 2022

Added changes to my current team workflow: added new statuses and columns, created mappings but... columns show 0 issues although the overall list of issues show the current statuses. How to get them shown on the board???

Adrian Wedd May 10, 2022

Searching for words I can see are in issues' summary or description or comments and Jira finding nothing really does make me wish I had a "reindex all the things" button often.

3 votes

Similar probleme here: removed (deleted) custom field description is still present on the screens. Change has been made 10 hours ago. Please reactivate the possibility to reindex manually.

atlassian-admin April 15, 2021

Same problem here.  Changed a screen scheme 20 hours ago. Still not updated. I'm migrating from server to cloud through the csv importer. I can't finish mapping to the right screen on a project until this is fixed. Any updates? I'm on a deadline. This is frustrating.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Archi Apronti February 23, 2023

Atlassian Team. This is still a problem. A custom field description was updated 2 days ago, but the old description still shows on some screen. Kindly advise?

1 vote
Ron Perez January 3, 2023

Same question here. I have a project that has more than 20,000 issues and I have to modify custom fields after the Jira Cloud migration. Modifying the search template requires manual indexing to follow. But how ??? Thanks in advance!

1 vote
Lovepreet Singh August 13, 2020

We are facing same problem as well. It is causing lot of problems in work as the field's context we added is not searchable. 

0 votes
Vytautas Chamutovskij October 26, 2023

I've faced out the same problem: I've created an issue via API, fill some custom fields and values didn't appear on the issue screen (show value None), but JQL finds this new issue by value in one of custom fields.

0 votes
Jasmine Stermschegg September 25, 2023

Same issues here @[deleted] what is the solution for this?

0 votes
PMO Gul Rukh April 3, 2023

I updated custom field description, however, change is not reflected on the screens. I made changes  almost 1 month ago. Manual reindexing is much needed feature.

0 votes
Jon April 1, 2020

[cannot delete answer posted in wrong location...sorry]

Suggest an answer